Snax sings STYX! (Accapella)

• TMV World Legacy Member

Thought I'd try something really different from what I've been singing lately. This was recorded using my new Blue Microphone's Bluebird condenser mic. Really captures every little nuance of my voice including the bit of scratchiness I had from not drinking enough water that day! Oops!

I sang along with the real song playing in my UE triple.fi 10 pro in ear monitors which are amazing because there is no bleed through from the singers earphones into the sensitive studio microphone.

The song is "LADY" and is one of my favourite Styx songs. I know I can do better with proper hydration but here it is for now...

https://files.me.com/muskysnax/ptr7zu.mp3

"GIDDYUP!"

With or without scratchiness you sound amazing. Especially when you sing "of the morning", that's the

icing of the cake. Excellent vibrato, full tone, unbelievable control, a record-ready singer.

Don't stop posting new songs!

Thanos

Thanks Thanos! It's funny that you mentioned the phrase "of the morning". I really was surprised when I hit those notes like I did. It felt like the voice just floated out of my head a couple of times. I didn't nail it every time though so there's still room for improvement. I actually thought of Robert Lunte's video where he teaches how to bridge by easing back on the air velocity. It helped me a lot because I was able to relax my throat and just use placement to get the right sound instead of squeezing to reach the notes.

I've said it before and I'll say it again that my own progress is a direct result of the information and encouragement I've gotten here at TMV. :cool:

"GIDDYUP!"

Thanks for the suggestion Joshua. I actually had good signal levels from the pre amp all the way through the recording signal path. I'm very familiar with recording digitally and how to set input and output gains etc.

The weak link in my signal path for sure is the inexpensive A.R.T. Tube MP Project Series mic pre. I was within safe levels at the mic pre and also at my Macbook input. I'm a stickler for getting levels optimal actually.

You might be hearing a little harmonic distortion brought on by some of the plugins I was using in Logic Pro 8. I do want a better pre amp when I can afford one though since the A.R.T. mic pre is not doing my mic justice for sure!

"GIDDYUP!"

what soundcard do you have? i'm also using logic pro ;-). If you have a decent soundcard no need to "warm" the sound with A.R.T mic pre. if you need more gain use logic pro gain plugin. Or maybe you compressed too much the sound. As we are working on the same DAW it could be great to exchange some knowledge ;-)

Hi guys,

I am curious about the gain issue? I am currently trying to learn about voice recording with a much cheaper DAW then you guys are using (I only have REAPER) but it looked to me like the levels were pretty good and there was no cliping so I am curious what the issue was? Just asking cause I have no idea :)

Doug

I'm pretty sure Joshua was hearing some artifacts from some of the plugins I used and most likely the compression. I know I wasn't clipping anywhere in the signal path so that is the most likely cause. It was very slight but was audible on some of my more powerful notes.

"GIDDYUP!"

Absolutely amazing. It's too bad you're so happy with your company. However, that doesn't have to stop you from releasing albums, either through actual cd's or downloads.

I just might do that Ron and thanks so much for all the nice comments on all my songs! I just posted another Priest tune in a new thread too. It's the song Turbo Lover.

"GIDDYUP!"

The "artifacts" - if you can call it that - come from compression. Keeping metal vocal dynamics at bay without squashing all life off them can be a pain in the a**.

That "of the morning" phrase, the way you did it... a lot of experienced singers would cringe at the very thought of it. It comes across

as a powerful yet emotional message, just incredible.