found one for my buddy ronws!

Rate this topic

VideoHere

hey ron, while searching for richard marx vids i ran into this guy on y.t.

i thought of you. he's got that real pure silky-sounding voice. check it out. don't say i never gve you anything (lol!)

http://www.youtube.com/user/Araknerman#p/u/13/ncKU2bGqJoM

Way cool! I'm glad you found that. He does sound like me, even with different vowel modifications in place. Near as I can tell, he was singing it in the original range, using an opening tuning and capo the 10th fret tokey in Db with the open D chord formation. Whereas I capo the 4th fret, standard tuning and using the open A chord formation. But the similarity of the voice is uncanny, right down to the purity seasoned with a slight fry kind of sound, at points. What would that be called? A twangy neutral?

Anyway, gracias Amigo.

And then I listened to the other version with his band. A celtic beat and about two whole tones lower but it was well done.

And, of course, I had to pick up my guitar and do the song, again. Carefully. My voice is starting to come back after a few weeks of what sounded like partial laryingitis but it might have been muscle strain, come to think of, trying to sound like Bon Scott.

That singer is doing the song in A. The original is 4 half steps higher, in Db. That makes is so that this singer doesn't really have to cross his passagio, making the song way, way easier to sing. Never the less, it was a cool rendition of the song and the singer did a great job. Very cool.

That singer is doing the song in A. The original is 4 half steps higher, in Db. That makes is so that this singer doesn't really have to cross his passagio, making the song way, way easier to sing. Never the less, it was a cool rendition of the song and the singer did a great job. Very cool.

i do that song 1/2 down and it is all support, control and twang to the 10th power! that guy has a real nice voice.

That song is a b*tch. It's part of what makes it sooooooooo darned great to hear.

One day... >:

... And I wonder what ' doing a song in A ' means exactly. Is it the first note of the song or something ? I guess I should direct my interest towards understanding music a bit.

That song is a b*tch. It's part of what makes it sooooooooo darned great to hear.

One day... >:

... And I wonder what ' doing a song in A ' means exactly. Is it the first note of the song or something ? I guess I should direct my interest towards understanding music a bit.

Ronron: In most pop, rock and classical music (parts of the Western Musical tradition) , a piece has a defined tonal center, around which the harmony and melody are organized. If a piece tends to use the harmonic language which centers around a particular note of the scale, the piece can be referred to as being in a 'key', with that home (or root) note. In most songs, the composer does not wander too far from home, but can (on occasion) do a 'lift' in the middle of the song to raise the tonal center. The formal term for the key change is a 'modulation'.

As an example, consider the song 'The house of the rising sun' as recorded many years ago by Eric Burton and the Animals. Its distinctive opening begins with an A minor arpeggio, progresses through C major, D major, F major and some other chords, with the return back to Aminor preceeded by E7. This harmonic pattern is essentially the chords which relate quite directly to the 'Key of A minor'.

If the guitarist 'Capo's Up' two half steps, and fingers everything shifted up two frets, that would take the song into the key of B minor.

In classical symphonies and sonatas, (Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven) the key is usually included in the name of the piece. In pop and rock, almost never. Operas can have songs in a variety of keys, depending on what the composer wanted to do.

I hope this helps.

Thanks, jonpall. I misheard it, then. In the solo version, it sounded like he was close. The full band version sounded two steps lower than that. Perhaps it was an auditory illusion. I knew he wasn't singing all of the original melody. Still, he has a good voice and these were good performances.

And thanks, Steven, for explaining tonic for Ronron. The original song was recorded in Db. And that is how I play it. Standard guitar tuning, capo at the 4th fret, which means an open A chord in that set up is a Db chord. It allows me to simultaneously play the chord and the lead guitar fill between lyrics.

Yeah, Fahim, I listened to that one, too. I noticed her prefers a particular guitar sound, throughout, and will adjust vocal melody to suit what the guitar is doing. Nothing wrong with that. I've done it, especially when I've condensed a few instruments down to one guitar, something has to give.

*snip*

I hope this helps.

Yes, a bit. Still a bit unclear but it'll be better with time. So the key is about the " middle note " of a given melody, as well as an indication of its pitch, right ? I guess this has to do with the fact that there are a lot of octaves and you really want to use as little space as possible ?

Anyway, I get the idea, which is way better than previously, thank you Steven :)

I know, jonpall.

One time, a person sent me a youtube link of this guy named Ron in some restaurant/bar in San Antonio, Texas singing SCOM (and doing okay for an untrained singer) in spite of being inebriated, with a karaoke set-up. This person who sent me the link was trying to say that was me. It was not me, but I've been trying to find it and can't.

He seems to be very good. However, because of Axl's voice in the background, it's a bit hard to tell which part of the sound is coming from Axl and how that guy would sound all by himself.

agreed..why do they even bother singing over the original..my 2 cents ...lol!!!

This band does a pretty good cover of the original. I think the singer is using twang and kind of a cartoon cackle voice. Check out the freakishly tall bass player. He's almost as tall as I am.

edited:

deleted link for Bob.

This band does a pretty good cover of the original. I think the singer is using twang and kind of a cartoon cackle voice. Check out the freakishly tall bass player. He's almost as tall as I am.

ron, ever since i clicked on your wrong link, i have no audio. please delete.

• 1 month later...

Please, forgive me for resurrecting this old thread but I finally found the youtube vid I was looking for. I had to search sweet child of mine texas to find it. In another forum, a guy who had a profound dislike for me found this vid and was stating that it was me. This vid is of a guy named Ron at the Bennigan's in San Marcos, Texas.

I have never been to San Marcos. I have never sang karaoke in a Bennigan's. I am at least a foot taller than the guy in this video. And I am thinner, too. Aside from his pitch issues, he has a good tone. If I do say so, he has tones similar to mine. It may have something to do with being in Texas, after all. Some people can still hear the west coast in my voice (I was born in California but have been in Texas since 1974) but I can pull a decent Texas accent when I want to. He has good stage presence. He keeps his hydration going, although I think it's beer, when it should be water.

He botched some of the lyrics but he was having fun.

The guy that disliked me and posted this vid had said that I sounded like a wounded animal and that I could do wonders for the world of singing and mankind, in general, by not singing.

Anyway, enjoy.