Snax- "Lady" with backing music

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hey gang,

I tried something different with my A.R.T. Tube MP mic pre amp on this recording. I read that driving the input harder will allow the tube to give more character or warmth to the sound. I then compensated by reducing the output level and the resulting vocal sound was indeed a little warmer than before. This effect will be even better with a high quality mic pre which I'll purchase in the future.

Here I am am singing the Styx song "Lady" along with a karaoke backing track. Hope it's up to par.

https://files.me.com/muskysnax/mm4o2w.mp3

"GIDDYUP!"

• TMV World Member

Hey gang,

I tried something different with my A.R.T. Tube MP mic pre amp on this recording. I read that driving the input harder will allow the tube to give more character or warmth to the sound. I then compensated by reducing the output level and the resulting vocal sound was indeed a little warmer than before. This effect will be even better with a high quality mic pre which I'll purchase in the future.

Here I am am singing the Styx song "Lady" along with a karaoke backing track. Hope it's up to par.

https://files.me.com/muskysnax/mm4o2w.mp3

Snax: Driving the input harder produces a mild, 'round shoulder' clipping distortion, which we interpret as warmth. The amount you are using seems perfectly fine.

Don't diss the A.R.T. Its good equipment. I used to have a tube SLA, and I was very pleased.

The recording came out very well... good performance on a very challenging song. At times it seems that you are kinda throwing your voice at the pitch, rather than singing it, at the beginning of phrases. Otherwise, very enjoyable.

When are you cutting your first CD, dude?

Best Regards, Steven Fraser

• TMV World Legacy Member

Thanks for your comments Steven. Could you give me an example of where I was throwing my voice at the pitch so I can identify it? That's a great observation and I know I can sing even better with guidance such as yours.

"GIDDYUP!"