Ending a note

Rate this topic

Joeyac

Hi 1st post here. Thanks for all the good folks out there sharing their knowledge. I have been working with a voice teacher for about a year now and learning a lot and making good progress. One thing that we are both struggling with is me ending a note especially in my higher range. I have developed a bad habit of closing and pressing to finish a tone or note. Is this normal? I can't seem to hold the position of the sound above a certain pitch and it seems to drop out. It almost seems that I have to finish in falsetto to keep from closing down. Is there any exercise or technique I could use to work on this? Thanks

I think that is part of my question. She has said that nothing in the throat should change and that my air should stop and perhaps the tongue could finish (if it is a consonant) Would a glottal stop involve the muscles I am not supposed to be using

I think that is part of my question. She has said that nothing in the throat should change and that my air should stop and perhaps the tongue could finish (if it is a consonant) Would a glottal stop involve the muscles I am not supposed to be using

Joeyac: On the release, there are two cases: 1) end the word on a vowel or voiced consonant, or 2) end the word on an unvoiced consonant.

In case 1, there are several appraoches. The one I like is to finish the sound (either the vowel or the voiced consonant) full voice, and then to use the inhalation to cause the release.

In case 2, its a bit trickier. To cease phonation and still have breath flowing to make the consonant, the release is done by continuing to provide 'support' to the note even as you release it. When this kind of release is done while singing a vowel, it feels a bit like an H has been added to the end of the vowel sound. The amount of air which is exhaled in this fashion is usually sufficient to make the desired consonant.

• 2 weeks later...

I have developed a problem with ending some notes also. Not all notes, just some. I find using vibrato very easy most of the time, but on these troublesome notes, I tend to end the note with a sped-up and nervous sounding vibrato. Very annoying! The only way I can avoid doing this is to not use any vibrato at all, which doesn't feel natural either.