Sign in to follow this  
Berabouman

Complete Beginner to Home Recording

Rate this topic

As for the process of "mixing," I have read so many books over and over again that I have suffered, now and then, paralysis by analysis.

It boils down really simple. The best phrase I have read is this: "if it sounds good, it is good." And it does not matter how you got the sound. Whether analog effects or software plug-ins.

I have done stuff even I would call good with nothing more than compressor, a smattering of eq and that is it.

Another time, threw all kinds of stuff at, recorded twenty times, and wound up with hammered dog droppings. 

And all points in between.

But mixing is where you adjust volume levels, compression (if needed, it is not always needed,) eq adjustments, panning in the stereo field.

And like a lot of things, your first instincts are your best.

In addition, you will always have criticism. To quote Ricky Nelson from the song "Garden Party," "You can't please everyone so you got to please yourself." And then there are others who just like to criticize. For two reasons. A) they like the power of being a critic. B)if it is posted in an area meant for critique, they will think that you think it needs critical advise, rather than just applause.

You want real applause? Sell the song to the public and let them applaud with money, buying your downloads or cds or whatever media you release on.

That being said, recording, mixing, and mastering are all different skill sets. And the biggest selling music often has a separate mixing guy and a separate mastering guy. Not that it must always be done that way but it has worked so well that way, so many times before. it's kind of superstitious. "Well, we did this last time and won a grammy. Let's keep doing that."

Reminds me of a legend about Dallas Cowboy quarterback Troy Aikman (retired.) When he went off to college, his father gave him his old '69 Ford F-150 truck. And he had a great college career. And kept the truck. And drove it to a home game when he played for the Cowboys. And after that, on any home game, he drove that old Ford to the game. Maybe it gave him a sense of humility to remember his humble beginnings in Oklahoma.

Sometimes, it's superstition, sometimes it's the mindset that counts.

Hey Adolph, I read many reviews comparing the e835 and e945 and also from the sennheiser website, and they were unanimous in saying that the e945 is way superior, especially because the tight pickup pattern that does an excellent job on avoiding feedback. That is why the difference in the price tag.

Additionally, since you sent me the link on turning speaker into microphones, I think you are gonna love this one. I know I did. Take a listen to the recording they made with the tin can microphone.

http://www.instructables.com/id/The-New-and-Improved-Tin-Can-Microphone/

I agree about the classifieds section, I think it would be useful to many members. I am just not sure how easy/hard it would be to manage it.

Cheers

Hi Gneetapp,

Sorry for my late reply. I haven't been felling well the past couple of days.

Yes, the e945 has excellent feedback rejection.

BTW, here's some other mics that I want to try as money permits :

AKG D7

TC-Helicon MP-75

HEIL PR-35

Sennheiser e935

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The tin can mic was really cool ! I liked it ! Thank you !!! In a word, "Ingenuity" ....

Speaking of which, here's an instrument I've been considering building - the "Theramin" :

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Theremin

I know the Theramin has been around for years, but I recall Jimmy Page using one during the 1973 Zeppelin tour and thought it was really cool.

I could go on an on about that concert - Three Rivers Stadium in Pittsburgh, Pa. The BEST concert I've ever attended !!! I can remember it like it was yesterday - In DETAIL :) A little humor to add : Our seats were in the "nosebleed section". I was able to work my way down to the very first row, "front and center" stage ! It wasn't easy given ALL of the security, but I DID IT !!! :woohoo:

I have the footage (DVD) of Zeppelin's concert at Madison Square Garden in N.Y. City. That concert was NOTHING compared to their performance at Pittsburgh ! :headbang2:

Hi Gneetapp,

AKG D7

TC-Helicon MP-75

HEIL PR-35

Sennheiser e935

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The tin can mic was really cool ! I liked it ! Thank you !!! In a word, "Ingenuity" ....

Speaking of which, here's an instrument I've been considering building - the "Theramin" :

I know the Theramin has been around for years, but I recall Jimmy Page using one during the 1973 Zeppelin tour and thought it was really cool.

I could go on an on about that concert - Three Rivers Stadium in Pittsburgh, Pa. The BEST concert I've ever attended !!! I can remember it like it was yesterday - In DETAIL :) A little humor to add : Our seats were in the "nosebleed section". I was able to work my way down to the very first row, "front and center" stage ! It wasn't easy given ALL of the security, but I DID IT !!! :woohoo:

I have the footage (DVD) of Zeppelin's concert at Madison Square Garden in N.Y. City. That concert was NOTHING compared to their performance at Pittsburgh ! :headbang2:

I hope you are feeling better Adolph.

Yeah! Regarding the Heil, it been on my wish list since I read so much great things about it. But the MP-75 I'm not so sure. Last December, when I was in the US, I did a lot of research on MP-75 vs Sennheiser e835 and Digitech's Vocalist Live Fx vs TC-Helicon's Voice Live Play. I ended up going with the Digitech + Sennheiser combo, mainly because I decided on the Digitech. After reading a bunch of reviews I understood that both mics were very similar. 

Regarding the Theramin, I got something similar on my Roland synth, but I've been trying to fade out playing an instrument while singing because I find it hard to keep focus on singing. Maybe when I get better at singing I can come back to playing electric guitar or bass guitar again.

Cheers

Hi Gneetapp,

AKG D7

TC-Helicon MP-75

HEIL PR-35

Sennheiser e935

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And now I am officially jealous. Only my favorite band. 1973. Living in San Diego, California. Our step-father, a boiler tech second class aboard the USS Ogden followed the ship when it was moved from the Port of Los Angeles to the Port of San Diego. Going on base, seeing the massive gray hulls of the ships. Hearing "Brandy" by Looking Glass on the car radio .... Wearing dungarees bought by my step-father at the px.  I had a military id as part of his immediate family. The following year, I actually board the USS Ogden and went to the Captain's Quarters to see our step-father re-up his enlistment. His plan was to make Chief Petty Officer...

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this