Opera is where you find it

Rate this topic

• 2 weeks later...

I hear that classical training takes years upon years of intense training and their technique is usually quite different when they sing. In fact, you can hear it even when they sing other genres. They maintain that low larynx, that rich tone and the males are usually singing in their thick folds unless they're grasping for high notes like at the end of Nessum Dorma, and Females are in their thin folds. It's just how they've been trained, so their muscle memory kicks in.

However, I know of someone who was told by her coach to sing like an opera singer, using all the operatic tonal qualities, and she actually got the lead role and toured around a lot internationally because of that. She wasn't trained in opera, but spoke Italian, the language the aria she auditioned with was in, and she's a great singer who's spent years in teaching, training, learning etc. Evidently it wasn't easy to pull off, but I suppose if well trained singers know what techniques, qualities and tricks to use, they can sound like an opera singer even when they're really not.

What I know is that being an opera singer requires being trained by a recognized opera coach. Sometimes more than one. The opera singers who have made a career of it have studied under one or more opera coaches and are recommended to various opera houses based on the reputation of the teachers with whom they have studied.

There are certain sound stylings in opera, yes, but much of it is also based on reputation, aka ,the old boys (and girls) club.