Maintaining the voice... When to sing and when not to sing?

Rate this topic

GuitarLord

Hey there,

I was just wondering if everyone can give thoughts about how to maintain the voice everyday. So what are usually some things you do every day to maintain your voice. How to make it always STABLE?

But the thing I'm MOST INTERESTED in is: when to sing and when to shut-up? I'm currently happy with my singing but I have this constant problem that I sing-a-long almost everything, I just love to sing and sometimes I might just loose my voice because I have to sing whenever I hear some song on tv or radio or when I have some melody in my head. So do you usually sing-a-long everything you hear, or it's better to just shut-up for the whole day and save your voice and sing only and just only when you perform or practice.

I guess I somehow answered my own question but would like to hear more thoughts and how do you do it.... :)

Nikola

Hey there,

I was just wondering if everyone can give thoughts about how to maintain the voice everyday. So what are usually some things you do every day to maintain your voice. How to make it always STABLE?

But the thing I'm MOST INTERESTED in is: when to sing and when to shut-up? I'm currently happy with my singing but I have this constant problem that I sing-a-long almost everything, I just love to sing and sometimes I might just loose my voice because I have to sing whenever I hear some song on tv or radio or when I have some melody in my head. So do you usually sing-a-long everything you hear, or it's better to just shut-up for the whole day and save your voice and sing only and just only when you perform or practice.

I guess I somehow answered my own question but would like to hear more thoughts and how do you do it.... :)

Nikola

hey buddy. providing you're warmed up and loose, and you don't intend to do a set of really demanding vocals one after the other you can potentially sing for hours. proper technique helps you last longer.

water...a lot a day, get rest, keep away from fried foods, milk, creams, etc.

like you, i'll hear a song and i just want to start belting out with reckless abandon, but you've gotta warm up first

please...that's so, so, important!

It depends. If I'm just goofing around, I will sing until I get tired. If am performing, usually at a party, as opposed to a structured set, I will not talk as much between songs. We're celebrating Halloween tomorrow night and I am supposed to sing and provide accompaniment to another person who sings. But the things I have been learning will help me not wear myself out.

Here is the real trick... Sleep. If you can't get tons of sleep days you use a lot of your voice, it will NEVER recover until you get a FULL night's rest. This means no alarm clock... I've screamed and "lost" my voice plenty, but if i sleep 10 hours or so, it will come right back.

Here is the real trick... Sleep. If you can't get tons of sleep days you use a lot of your voice, it will NEVER recover until you get a FULL night's rest. This means no alarm clock... I've screamed and "lost" my voice plenty, but if i sleep 10 hours or so, it will come right back.

agreed big time. a lack of sleep an even change my tone.