How to avoid pulling up chestvoice?

Rate this topic

babystar

My basic problem with singing is when I sing higher notes, I automatically pull of my chest voice and however I have support I'm still doin' that. I have hard times avoiding it! I learned Estill Belt and I sang ONLY belt (no mix, no head, nothing) for a year now. Today, I've no mixvoice.

I find SLS/SS programme helpful to me as I know it can help to solve my problem. Especially the exercises, nay,nay,nay and mum,mum,mum...

THe higher pitch I sing, the more airy my voice gets. I guess it's really because I pull my chest voice. No matter how much support I add, it's still the same, or I crack, especially around my passagio. I try to sing so it doesn't feel uncomfortable and I rather hear myself crack hundreds of times instead of pushing my voice to achieve the right pitch... BUT!!!

I wonder now, what I can do to not make my Mums and Nays crack or sound breathy the higher I go? I can't do arpeggios! Only 3-notes or maybe 5 notes.. and never higher than A4 or Bb4! It sucks.........

I just do want to find my mixvoice again 'cause it's gone! I hope you can help me!

Thanks! / Claudia

Ps. No CVT answers!

My experience has been that, trying to sing higher without changing anything will result in air in the voice. Trying to compensate for it results in constrictions, and eventually pain, without doing much. What is working for me are sirens on the voiced consonant " NG ", as in " sing ". As well as trying to imitate an owl with as light a voice as possible.

Another possibility could be going for a cry sound. I think this is more of what the " mixed voice " is about.

Ronron,

Thank you for your answer!

I'm familiar with this cry sound! I tried that today too! It worked a bit better. I guess I need to practice practice practice so my bad habit disappears after a while. Takes time I guess, 'cause I buided it in my musclememories :( too bad!

The sirening on NG I can manage that excellent, except when I do the siren between exact F4-F5! On my F5 I start shaking with my voice. I dunno why actually. Maybe somebody knows why? :(

• Administrator

This is a loaded question ... In a sense, you could argue that this question is what defines the entire industry of voice/singing instruction... but thats beside the point. Without writing a book, the quick tip answer is... In the language of TVS (www.thevocaliststudio.com) would be... and I seem to see a lot of this from people that have had the benefit of building a foundation with SS/SLS teachings (more or less, in my opinion, kinda the same thing...).

Claudia, first of all, I would need to hear you to diagnose. Therefore, would you please send me a link or file to my private email address if you like robert@thevocaliststudio.com and your welcome to post here as well on the public forum if you like, your choice.... but... I will take an educated guess on what your issues are as they are usually the same issues everyone has to one degree or another and we all have had at one time or another.

To make your head tones sound full, and "chest-like"... you have to first learn to bridge, or registrate successfully from your modal voice to your head resonance (fancy pants for "chest voice" to "head voice"), because there is no point in trying to make your head tones sound big and full if you cant even get there effectively... so first, you/we would need to examine how you are bridging. Among other things, successful registration bridging boils down to; timing, building muscle memory for head placements (initially a foriegn feeling to students) and laryngeal configuration/physiology or "vocal mode". But the good news is, if your bridging is spot on, your "connecting" (means the ability to make your head resonance sound "belt-like" in TVS language) will respond nicely with only a few tweeks to get exactly what you want... and we are assuming that what you want is to have smooth registration and head tones that sound big, "belt-like" and not windy and choral-girl sounding, right?... of course, thats what everyone wants... ;)

Not wanting to sound critical, your work at SS/SLS probably has not prepared you enough on vocal mode work (very common result) and depending on the teacher you had... you may have problems with your bridging as well (less common, depends on who your working with and their ability to train bridging).

In your Estill work, no doubt you sang "happy birthday" in a twang vocal quality or "figure" correct? Well, thats a start... but what I personally believe that Estill is missing the important fact that... 90% of the singers out there are not interested in academic vocal mode study and are not Classical singers. This means that the twang you were doing at Estill is about 20% of what you need to do to get the sound you want to make... a ballsy, belty head tone, right?

Why there are so few vocal training systems out there that know how to teach a ballsy, belty, huge sounding head tone is astonishing to me when you consider its exactly what students of singing want. I suppose its because its really hard. Its really hard to train, its really hard to do and its really hard to teach... so the available resources on this coveted kind of sound is very much a minority.

I will say, without wanting to sound self-serving, TVS is one of those organizations that can teach you to do this in an incredibly fast and effective way. And eventhough you request a break from the CVI advise on this, I believe they have a solution as well.

So where are we at? Well, I want to help you. I can totally help you get what you need and deal with this issue all the time and Ill leave it at that. Your end result will not come from just reading form posts, you are going to have to do some training to get it sorted out.

I hope this helps.