Trouble with song - Deftones "Passenger"

Rate this topic

IndrasNet

I've been playing around with an arrangement of Deftones' Passenger and am curious how to approach the chorus sung by Maynard (starts with b4 i believe). I am familiar with CVT so if you are more comfortable describing whats going on in those terms great. Any tips welcome. Trouble starts around 2:08:

"Roll the windows down

This cool night air is curious

Let the whole world look in

Who cares who sees anything"

I am able to sing everything else convincingly but only able to sing the chorus in CVT neutral configuration or my lightest coordination. If I try to lean into it more my larynx shoots up and chokes me or I get unintentional distortion.

He's using curbing, but sometimes uses overdrive and edge vowels without switching modes. What MJK does is his prerogative, but using the right vowels for each mode will give you better resonance and easier production.

"Roll" - He sings OH. Modify this completely to UH, or switch to overdrive.

"Cool" - He sings OO. Modify towards O as in woman.

"Let" - He sings E as in egg. (An unofficial edge vowel, Anastacia uses it.) Either switch to edge or modify towards I.

"Who" - He sings OO. Again, modify towards O.

I've been playing around with an arrangement of Deftones' Passenger and am curious how to approach the chorus sung by Maynard (starts with b4 i believe). I am familiar with CVT so if you are more comfortable describing whats going on in those terms great. Any tips welcome. Trouble starts around 2:08:

"Roll the windows down

This cool night air is curious

Let the whole world look in

Who cares who sees anything"

I am able to sing everything else convincingly but only able to sing the chorus in CVT neutral configuration or my lightest coordination. If I try to lean into it more my larynx shoots up and chokes me or I get unintentional distortion.

i'm non cvt, but i went on y.t. and heard him sing it live.

he's using serious breath support he's out and out screaming with distortion and growl. you have to really commit and let it all out taking the stress with the breath muscles and not the throat.

if it's you intend to sound like that there's no holding back. you've got to go for it, yet safely.

i'm non cvt, but i went on y.t. and heard him sing it live.

he's using serious breath support he's out and out screaming with distortion and growl. you have to really commit and let it all out taking the stress with the breath muscles and not the throat.

if it's you intend to sound like that there's no holding back. you've got to go for it, yet safely.

I think its a bit out of my range for the moment - I can hit it sometimes a whole step down... I struggle with full voice A4 and up. But a year ago middle C was my limit.

Were you able to see a video of the performance? I would love to see his posture and mouth shape during the chorus...

I think its a bit out of my range for the moment - I can hit it sometimes a whole step down... I struggle with full voice A4 and up. But a year ago middle C was my limit.

Were you able to see a video of the performance? I would love to see his posture and mouth shape during the chorus...

i don't really know the band. but is this okay? not sure if this is helpful> couldn't find a video of maynard

Then you should do it a whole step down, for now, to get the song mastered. Most people can't tell the difference. And those that can, big whoopie. Let them try it. This is a song for an athlete and if you can do it, more power to you.