Snax tries Zeppelin's Black Dog

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hey all,

I always wanted to sing this one and I realize I don't sound a thing like Robert Plant! Man this song is tough! All really high head voice that needs Plant's raspines to sound authentic. Unfortunately I just wasn't able to imitate that incredible tone he had back then but this was a fun one all the same!

https://files.me.com/muskysnax/5lx50p.mp3

"GIDDYUP!"

Well done, of course.

It brought back memories, too. I used to do the most of the whole catalog of Led Zep I through V. It was a challenge for me, too, as I was playing Jimmy's part and singing. Coordinating that took a while. And the music book I had for the first 5 albums was written in standard notation. So I would convert the guitar part to tablature form. Then synch it with the sheet music so that I could sing at the right spot.

I think you sang it the way that Plant sang it. You just have a different timbre in your voice and there was nothing wrong with this performance, as far as I can tell.

Bravo!

Great effort here from you as usual, Snax. If u could just add a little more rasp now and then it would be perfect, but that´s just my preference. You pretty much nailed this song as you always does.

I am trying to figure out which type of rasp Plant sang with. It's not like Brian Johnson and it's not like Rob Halford so I'm having trouble with this type of tone. Actually, just for fun I'm going to record it again while imitating Brian Johnson from AC/DC!!! Should make for a few good laughs!!! lol

"GIDDYUP!"

I am trying to figure out which type of rasp Plant sang with. It's not like Brian Johnson and it's not like Rob Halford so I'm having trouble with this type of tone. Actually, just for fun I'm going to record it again while imitating Brian Johnson from AC/DC!!! Should make for a few good laughs!!! lol

Now, that would be funny. And I think you should do it. One time, I recorded "Highway to Hell" for another website and I sang it really clean and heady. And someone said I sounded like Justin Hawkins on that recording. Any, well done and I think you should do the comic relief of Brian Johnson doing "Black Dog."

Well, be prepared to chuckle! As promised here's me singing Led Zeppelin pretending to be Brian Johnson from AC/DC. This was BAAAAAD but good for a laugh! :P https://files.me.com/muskysnax/56xz7j.mp3

"GIDDYUP!"

Well done. I can totally imagine that's what it would sound like. You realize, of course, now, you have to do the Rob Halford version. Right, Mr. Halford, I mean, Mike?

Ha,ha,ha you read my mind Ron! I'm going to do a Halford version next which should sound really weird! I'm trying to picture Rob singing this in his prime and what tone he would have chosen.

"GIDDYUP!"

Ha,ha,ha you read my mind Ron! I'm going to do a Halford version next which should sound really weird! I'm trying to picture Rob singing this in his prime and what tone he would have chosen.

Sweet! Excellent! You need to record that and press it so that I can buy it. Seriously. I'll knock over an old lady for her social security check, if I have to, to get the money. No, I won't beat up old people. But it would be phenomenal to hear that Halford-esque version and I bet you could do it better than Halford, himself. Just sayin'...

You're far too kind Ron. I'm picturing a vocal tone like when he sang The Ripper. That piercing sound should suit Black Dog nicely. This time I'll do a proper warm up first. I sang the other two renditions cold without so much as a lip bubble beforehand. I'll try to enhance the melody with a few screams here and there like Halford might have done. This is going to be a real challenge but I'm up for it!

"GIDDYUP!"

I haven't had a chance yet to do a Halford version but I did mix both my previous vocal takes into a duet with myself and "Brian Johnson". It's cool actually since both voices are really just me but it does sound a lot like two different singers. Even the phrasing is a bit different although I did edit both vocals to sync them better. Check it out... https://files.me.com/muskysnax/690vb8.mp3

"GIDDYUP!"

Now, that was cool, too. And it was neat listening to them side by side, same pitch, but vowel coloring and distortion being different. And amazing that you could synch up in different voices.

I really liked all those versions, Snax. Great job! You're such an awesome singer, man. I think for this song, your first version would be most suitable, rather than the Brian Johnson one - even though that was great to hear - it was soooo much like something he would have done with this song. But if you did it that way, people would probably ask why you were singing a Led Zeppelin song like it was an AC/DC song :) . But you could also sing the song relatively clean (but with an "edgy" sound like you've got) but with very slight distortion on certain key words or phrases.

I think that was the point. To sing "Black Dog" as if he were Brian Johnson. Next, if possible, he's going to sing it like Rob Halford. For comic relief or even a study in voice and how different effects work for different people on different things. But mostly, just for the fun of it.

Exactly, Ron. It's such fun to listen to Black Dog being sung as different artists - without even having to contact those singers (Brian or Rob, etc.) and ask them to do it - they'd never do it, but now we know how it would sound if they did :) . Listen Snax, would you object doing a version of W. Houston's "Greatest love of all" with your Brian and Rob voices, alternatively, line after line, like they were doing a duet? I think it would sound terrific!

p.s. please don't do that...

;)

Hey man, i'll do it!!! I'll even throw in some Willie Nelson too! lol I could do a few other voices you might recognize like Smeagol from Lord Of The Rings and Mr Burns from the Simpsons!

"GIDDYUP!"

und if they did :) . Listen Snax, would you object doing a version of W. Houston's "Greatest love of all" with your Brian and Rob voices, alternatively, line after line, like they were doing a duet? I think it would sound terrific!

;)

Brilliant! I think we've started something here. Let me know when you need something that sounds like Billy Corgan in a soupcan.

Cool duett there, Snax ;) Invite Bonnie Tyler to join in and contribute to this song and also Joe Cocker and then rename the song to Black Raspy Dog and release it, i will buy it.

Cool duett there, Snax ;) Invite Bonnie Tyler to join in and contribute to this song and also Joe Cocker and then rename the song to Black Raspy Dog and release it, i will buy it.

Now that was funny. Points to Olem.

You've got an extremely versatile voice Mike, being able to choose between a Halford and a Brian Johnson flavor is already too much for most singers.

You did remind me of Plant, you came very close to his tone. Don't know how you manage !

Thanks akarawd! It damn near killed me singing this song though. It sure doesn't come easily to me. Lately I think I've started pulling chest a little too high into my range. Time to start doing some vocal exercises and remember to lighten up as I go higher.

"GIDDYUP!"