Snax tries Zeppelin's Black Dog

Rate this topic

Great job on this vocal. Tough to get that attitude when singing that high. For the most part I think you covered it very well. The only thing that is noticeable for me is when you trail off some lyrics or use less power it becomes very thin and slightly pitchy. Very impressive range though. I think you would nail it live. Recording is a different animal and picks up so many things you don't hear on stage :-)

The only thing that is noticeable for me is when you trail off some lyrics or use less power it becomes very thin and slightly pitchy.

Great observation and absolutely correct. Things I need to work on for sure. This song and the song High Wire I also posted are really tough ones because they are both super high powerful vocals the whole way through. No dynamics really just balls to the wall power!

Without the Robert Plant tone though, Black Dog remains just a pup! ;)

I'm not sure there's anything you can do to get Plant's tone. For the same reason that you can sound so much like Rob Halford. It's genetic and each person has a slightly different tone, different muscles, different construction. You know the guy that sings for Tesla, Jeff? He has almost no neck. As opposed to Plant, who has a neck like a giraffe. (Yes, that's a superlative but it illustrates my point better.) That is, your version of "Black Dog" is as good as any I have heard. And I think the key to any problems you felt you had can be solved by doing it your way. Doing it like the other singers is fun, but the easiest version will be the one where you are just sounding like yourself. I know that might be taboo around here, but there you go.

Settling for Rob Halford's sound ... how "unlucky" for you. ;)

Until I get a better mic, I will have to settle for sounding like Billy Corgan in a soupcan, but with a wider range. Don't get me wrong. I wish I had written the lyric "despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a cage..." That's one of the finest rock lyrics I have ever heard. And it typied gen x and had a "grunge" feel before grunge became popular.

But I have my moments. One of the lyrics from one of my songs is "I woke up this morning on the wrong side of the bed. Ate a breakfast of aspirins to soothe my aching head ..." From the times in our lives where we wake up cranky and have said things that didn't set well. Hung over and trying to medicate to get through it.

Plant was the guy everyone was trying to be. Lanky, blonde, with a supersonic voice that seemed to cover about 4.5 to 5 octaves. Handsome and totally into females. He had referred to himself as a jazz singer and was knocking around with groups like the Yardbirds and Small Faces. The fall out of those two groups brought us the Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin. Led Zep got a jazz singer stretching into heavy blues. The Stones got a college guy who was an accounting major and a most unique vocal tone and a stage presence unlike any other.

To this day, Plant is still the role model for a rock tenor singer. Comfortable with the mic, able to match a guitar in range. Even in bands like Alice in Chains or Pearl Jam and look at what Layne Staley was and Eddie Vedder is doing in relation to the accompaniment. As well as their performing styles. They are not prima donnas grabbing center stage. Their voices are another sonic instrument in the music. It is unique to provide both libretto and tonal quality to the whole.

In the Song Remains The Same video concert his pants were obscene!!! I mean, I'm a guy and very straight but even I couldn't stop looking! LMAO!

Ah well, someone had to make being a frontman cool and he sure stepped things up a few notches didn't he?

In the Song Remains The Same video concert his pants were obscene!!! I mean, I'm a guy and very straight but even I couldn't stop looking! LMAO!

Ah well, someone had to make being a frontman cool and he sure stepped things up a few notches didn't he?

Yes. And it's been said that some of the most popular singers appeal to everyone.

In my case, dogs like me.