Downloaded a vocal sheet - could this really be right?

Rate this topic

Olem

I downloaded a vocal sheet, i suppose it should be trustable since it cost around 7 dollars, just of curiousity to see exactly what are the notes, and i was really surprised when i looked at it. The vocal/guitar sheet contained Dream Theater´s "Voices" and here is what i saw:

The chorus: Voic=A5, es=E5, re=E5, peat=C6, ing=B5, me=A5

I was more expecting the highest note to be an E5 or an F5.

And it goes even higher, the highest would be an E6 in the phrase "sex is death" What am i missing here ? It really must be an octave lower but why does it look like this?

Sorry for putting out this stupid question/ Ola

Voice, range: D4-C6

Is what I had out of googleing a random song. Now I'm fairly certain I can't hit a C6 to save my life, and I'm also fairly certain I can hit all the notes in the song. I'm also pretty sure the singer in question can't hit a C6 either. I tend to consider things to be an octave lower when this sort of things arise.

And I don't think it's a stupid question :)

I actually wondered about it some time ago, faced with a similar problem. I think I read somewhere that there was some logic behind it, like everything for male voices would be written as if one octave higher for some reason. Can't remember where I read it, and couldn't confirm it anyway.

Edit : Considering your very song, I think I can hit the " voices repeating me ", and probably even " sex is death ", so I'd say it's definitely not in the 6th octave, seeing how I can't even approach it.

.. And I think it's an interesting song served well by an interesting voice. I listened to it with pleasure. Thank you ;)

Hi Olem, I don't know if this would help, but I work a lot with Guitar Pro to and when I have to write the vocal melodies, I have to write it one octave lower than what it actually sounds, or I just get used to it hahaha... Maybe other sheet editors work the same way??? :D

Is what I had out of googleing a random song. Now I'm fairly certain I can't hit a C6 to save my life, and I'm also fairly certain I can hit all the notes in the song. I'm also pretty sure the singer in question can't hit a C6 either. I tend to consider things to be an octave lower when this sort of things arise.

And I don't think it's a stupid question :)

I actually wondered about it some time ago, faced with a similar problem. I think I read somewhere that there was some logic behind it, like everything for male voices would be written as if one octave higher for some reason. Can't remember where I read it, and couldn't confirm it anyway.

Edit : Considering your very song, I think I can hit the " voices repeating me ", and probably even " sex is death ", so I'd say it's definitely not in the 6th octave, seeing how I can't even approach it.

.. And I think it's an interesting song served well by an interesting voice. I listened to it with pleasure. Thank you ;)

It would be of great help if you could send that link when you find it.

There is no c6 in voices. Period.

No, everybody who is familiar with this song knows that, but the question is why does it look like this on the vocal sheet. I spent 7 dollars and it´s not a big deal but you would expect the notes to be right when you buy something. The thing is, i have seen a couple of other vocal sheets and it was the same thing there, way too high notes written than what i actually heard. I am sure i have missed something in the reading of the vocal sheet but i don´t know what. Maybe maestro Steven Frazer could help me with this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvEOsdH8T_8

Ok, here is the link to the studio version. You can clearly hear in the chorus that the notes aren´t that high. But if you consider the chorus with the notes i brought up above and imagine the notes in the vocal sheet would be an octave lower than that, could you guys confirm that this would be correct when you listen to the studio version, starts at 2:52 and ends at 2:57. I ask because i can´t perfectally spot the right pitch.

I am not the best writer and i am not an english native speaker but i hope you understand what i mean.

Thanx in advance/ Ola

Ok, thanx, Snorth.

It still puzzles me though :)

Olem: I listened to the recording. The piece is in A, and A4 (the A above middle C) appears very often, as does the C5 above that. For referrence, A4 appears at 7:16. The solo part ends on the E below that, E4, at 8:22.

Whomever (or whatever) notated this put it in the wrong octave. C4 is middle C. The highest distorted note I heard was the E5, but it was not clean at all.

As to whether C6 occurs in voices... whoa, there!. C6 is 'soprano High C', and there are male vocalists on this board that have recorded that note, and higher. :-) Yes, its unusual, but not unheard-of.

Steven, my vocal sheet says about the beginning of the first chorus:

Voic=A5, es=E5, re=E5, peat=C6, ing=B5, me=A5 (starts at 2.52 and ends 2.57 in the videoclip)

Could it be that everything here is correct if you put it exactly one octave lower? That is: Voic=A4 es=E4 and so forth...

By the way, the name of the song is "Voices", i was referring to this song not male voices, i know males can sing C6 and higher ;)

Steven, my vocal sheet says about the beginning of the first chorus:

Voic=A5, es=E5, re=E5, peat=C6, ing=B5, me=A5 (starts at 2.52 and ends 2.57 in the videoclip)

Could it be that everything here is correct if you put it exactly one octave lower? That is: Voic=A4 es=E4 and so forth...

Olem: Could be!

By the way, the name of the song is "Voices", i was referring to this song not male voices, i know males can sing C6 and higher ;)

Olem: Well, I missed that entirely. Sorry for the confusion on my part.

Ok, thanx alot, Snorth. I still wonder though why everything is written an octave higher. What´s the purpose? I have contacted the site where i bought the vocal sheet from, lets see if they have an answer. People here propably think i got it all wrong, but i checked both on internet and with my vocal pitch program Sing & See to see if the notes were correct.

It sounds as if the people who wrote that sheet for you got it wrong. Good luck getting them to admit that. It could be a misprint and certainly misleading for someone such as your self reading what is essentially a song map, as discussed by Vendera. It does seem odd that that it would be written with a C6 "blip" not as "peat" starts an ends in hard consonants and has a short duration and a C6 usually requires some vowel modification.

Ok, thanx alot, Snorth. I still wonder though why everything is written an octave higher. What´s the purpose? I have contacted the site where i bought the vocal sheet from, lets see if they have an answer. People here propably think i got it all wrong, but i checked both on internet and with my vocal pitch program Sing & See to see if the notes were correct.

Hello, I have also many notes that go octave higher than original piece. I have heard that the purpose is notational. Apparently notes can be written easier in that way sometimes.

PS. http://www.queenzone.com/forums/1210236/music-notation.aspx