Snax tries a Badlands song... High Wire

• TMV World Legacy Member

I've always admired Badlands singer Ray Gillen and tried really hard to sing this song. This song is so damn tough to sing guys! It's right at the top of my range through the whole song and requires massive amounts of breath support to pull it off. Unfortunately my support isn't quite there yet but with more practice and singing in general I'll get there.

This song kicks ass even with my somewhat lacklustre performance! I know when I'm in too deep and honestly I'm not quite ready for this one but wanted to share it anyway.

https://files.me.com/muskysnax/5f46vi.mp3

"GIDDYUP!"

Honestly, I couldn't hear anything wrong with it. I hope you didn't mind but I sang along with your performance. And I was matching you note for note. But then, again, I seem to be on my game today. Good adduction, endless breath support. Something I have done naturally for a long time, thanks to martial arts is what I call a modified kiai, is what Vendera calls the power push. But maybe it felt strenuous to you. But you made it sound easy. I liked it, anyway. If you're trying to screw up, try harder. Because everything you've don recently has been spot on. What a burden perfection is, n'est pas? (yeah, I know that's french. So, sue me :lol:)

Snax,

This is an awesome vocal performance! YOU'RE ON IT! I think your tone is very clear, great power, range, and vibratto.

I wonder if you might get a little more dynamics into your performance by working on the release of the muscles at the base of the skull (Atlanto Occiptal Joint), and at the base of the tongue. Sometimes this can increase the ability of the vocal cords to adduct at very high frequencies.

But as an arm chair observer, I have nothing but admiration for you!

-John

www.jdsvoice.com
www.tungle.me/JohnScott

I've never heard of that before. I know of the occipetal ridge and I know that Vendera also suggests massaging the back of the tongue (though one has to get over the gag reflex.) But I didn't know about muscle release under the ridge.

Hey thanks for the suggestions! :) Between verses I often stick out my tongue as far as I can to try to loosen it. Funny you should mention that!

I think that I might have been squeezing a bit too hard or trying to add too much weight to this vocal. If I sing it lighter in pure head it is much easier but the tone lacks in character. Ray Gillen was AWESOME!!!

"GIDDYUP!"

I guess for those of you who checked out the recording it might sound ok or even pretty good as a finished piece but I remember the multiple takes and many flat notes along the way! ;) There's a whole lot of post production slice and dice going on to put this vocal together. I couldn't make it through the whole song in one continuos take without running out of breath or feeling light headed from pushing too hard. I know I'll only get stronger though. Thanks so much for the comments and suggestions everyone!

"GIDDYUP!"

You are a very versatile singer Snax, in my opinion this is your most impressive outcome so far, thanx for sharing. I would like to hear you sing a Journey song, i think you would sound great in a song like that with your type of voice and huge range.

Thanks Olem! I have posted a Journey song a while back but it was in a lower key than the original. I didn't realize it until later. No wonder it seemed to easy. lol

I'll try and record one soon. Any suggestions as to which song?

"GIDDYUP!"

Hehe, do you have the link (to the Journey song)? I love Journey and have many favourites, a little rockier tune like "Ask the lonely" maybe. I tried "Send her my love" once, but it´s best for the world to not know about this, hahahah. By the way. By the way, my real name is "Ola". You could call me "Olem" but it sounds a little like Golem :)

Ah yes, Lights. I love that one! Good call Ron. I'll give it a go soon. I'm having a tough time with my singing lately actually. Probably from a lack of energy lately what with the time of year and all. Gotta get my ass in gear and get working out again.

"GIDDYUP!"

Actually, you've been doing quite a bit of vocal work lately and you might need rest. It's a solid and beautiful voice that you have and if you need a few days rest for it, by golly, that's only a few days.

Aside from all this, it would be great to hear you do a Journey song, as they were popular when I wasn in high school. Berkner HS class of 1982 in Richardson, Tx. "Wheel in the Sky" was monstrous when I was a junior. "Lights" was also popular around then, too.

Most singers wouldn't have even considered to sing this one and even where you sound like you're trying a tiny bit more than you should, I can only wonder how much better it'd sound with less effort from your part.

Great as always.

I'm going to give my voice a bit of a rest and do some light vocalizing and breathing exercises and then I'll try this one again. For sure it's a bit too much for me to do just yet. I want to be able to sing it with control and not feel like my head is about to explode! lol

"GIDDYUP!"