winter boost

Rate this topic

MB20

ok, so it's the time of the year when a a lot of people get ill. I've been struggling with a persistent cough and sore throat for a few weeks. I try and do all the right things as much as possible (eat healthily, exercise, drink water etc) and prefer not to rely on supplements and thing. However, as my illness has gone on for so long, i was wondering if anyone could recommend any specific things they take when they are ill, like vitamins for example, that will help keep me healthy through the winter. I don't want to go out and some generic multi-vitamin if it's not going to do any good.

• Administrator

Vitamin C regulary. Also, Vitamin C with Echinacea, but ONLY at the onset and during the "cold" !

Otherwise, you will develop an immunity to the Echinacea.

I also use Zinc regularly, but be careful with the dosage.

Gargle regularly as well. I have an elaborate "recipe" that I use, but I found that Alkalol works very well, too.

Herbal teas work well to soothe the throat. Personally, I use "Throat Comfort" . "Throat Coat" is an alternative, but be careful if you have hypertension.

I also add a few drops of Aloe Vera Juice, liquid licorice, and bee propolis to my daily water intake.

Drink LOTS of WATER DAILY whether or not you have a cold !!!!! Personally, I drink 6-8 pints daily...

Additionally, I take Vitamin B-12 regularly.

Hope this has helped.

Also, some kind of humidifier. Winter time is the time we use heat. Some modern home heating systems will dry out the air. And car heaters specifically dry out the air. Your car heating will actually use the air conditioner just enough to condense moisture out of the air before heating it.

So, hot, steamy showers. A pot of boiling water. Even a plug in humidier which can be bought at most pharmacies in America.

Also, some kind of basic vitamin regimen, of which vitamin C is key to the immune system. But you don't need a lot to maintain health. Too much vitamin C results in diahhrea. And usually, you only bomb with vit C in the suffering of a cold or flu. And, these ailments will run their course no matter what you do. The trick to drinking lots of fluids and rest is that it raises your basal metabolic rate, which will run the ailment through your system faster. Hot showers and baths, even with epsom salt, will help sweat it out. Spicy soup. Also, chicken soup. The magical properties of chicken soup is that it is easy to digest and has electrolytes. One of the symptoms of the ailment can be dehydration, which is not just the loss of fluids but the loss of electrolytes. Another thing I drink if I have a queasy stomach and and am dehydrated from an illness is apple juice. It will stay down and it has electrolytes.

From experience with lots of people w/ various throat illnesses, I totally agree with ronws about humidying the environment. This can make a startling amount of difference.

I would also recommend not putting all faith on the side of physical health. Strong immune system is influenced by quality of relationships, communication, spirituality, & core beliefs about deserving or not deserving to feel good. Stress management is as important as vitamin or tea regimen. So maybe look for the life-issue you haven't wanted to have to look at ...

but then again a vaporizer might be enough! Throat is SUCH an example of how many levels of body-mind need to coordinate. Endlessly interesting.

Let us know what works!