Water for singers...

Rate this topic

Robert Lunte

Yes he does a good job of frightening you all to death! Nothing new here for me guys, you can change water with magnets, you can drink distilled water...what I want to know is HOW is the technology affecting the water? HOW do they stabilise it? Plus I'm writing an article about hydration...it's more than water! You also need to keep in tune with your environment and drink different waters! Plus pure water HAS NO TASTE! Buy it if you want guys! I'll check it out some more! love H

Natural man was drinking natural water filled with dirt--that gives you an idea of how many chemicals our body is designed to work with. What one wants to avoid are artificial chemicals that the body has difficulties breaking down.

Does anyone know if these are glass or plastic bottles? Plastic bottles are shipped via hot trucks, ships, and trains, and the heat causes plastic to emit chemicals into the water. You can smell it frequently. Recently, some harder plastics were shown to cause, what was it, men to get estrogen? These plastic water bottles are even more soluable plastic. I'll bet in a few years, they'll show that these hotly shipped water bottles will cause health problems.

The video is so much BS, I couldn't stand to listen to it. First, the video claims regular water is somewhat acidic and theirs is alkaline and thus superior. Your stomach is much more acidic than any water you can drink, and orange juice and tomatoe juice are very acidic as well. The Ph level 4 water test he uses is also deceptive. Second, though there is evidence that free radicals can damage, the speaker makes some conjecture that his water is deionized, and thereby less create less free radicals within your body. This is a major unsubstantiated claims. Third, he makes the claim that his bottled water can remain deionized over 48 hours--so how does he do this--e.g. what chemicals is he adding? Remember, ionize means a slight electrical charge. Though I'm a lousy physicist, my guess is to keep something deionized for a long period of time is difficult, because there's always some fast moving electrons running around.

If you want to reduce free radicals, it's much less costly to do simple things like -- don't eat burnt foods, reduce meats, and a few others I can't recall precisely.

To give you an idea of how much BS, Sharper Image used to sell air deionizers (remember those?), until Consumers Report wrote a report that showed these had no benefits, and a class action lawsuit ensued that caused Sharper IMage to go bankrupt. I have a couple of inexpensive air deionizers that I will sell for only $15 each, and they run on pennies of electricity per year!

I'd be happy to sell deionized water at half price. Their health benefit is that you'll waste half the money.

Take the $1.50 price, and buy these V8 100% juice smoothies at Walmart (about $3 for 46 fl oz)-- that's good hydration for your voice.

Great web & Net! I see you're back with us! The other point is that he is measuring the pH OF THE WATER! You need to know your own body pH and if it's not far out lots of this water could take you into dangerous alkalinity. YES we Nutritionists know all about the dangers of acid and alkalinity in the body. The key is hydration and balance.....you mess with the ions of the body and you screw up your electrolyte function and cellular metabolism! It's a no no for me! love Hilary:rolleyes:

My GP (who had checked out some major opera singers when they were in town (Domingo, for example)... said singers need to drink more water to keep their mucas membranes moist - 6 to 8 cups a day. I think he meant Tap Water. It's free. But whatever works for you :)

• Administrator

Deal of the day: My water is alkaline right from the tap. I can hook up a multi-meter, stick the probes in the water and adjust the "numbers" to what ever one wishes. For only $5.00 a bottle... I think I'm in the wrong business !

Not for me, either...

Seriously, that's a good point about heat and plastic bottles. I read that cooking in plastic containers in a microwave releases chemicals from the plastic into the food. Yum ! A glass container or bowl is suggested.

Adolph

I drink anywhere from 4-6 liter water a day [that's roughly 1 to 1.5 gallon for you Americans (Why can't we all have the same units of measure? :s)].

I had nothing but positives! I had a calculator from a renouned ENT somewhere giving you X liter to drink depending on your lenght, if only I could find it, I'd post it here :>

Waters is necessary for all life on this planet! Even though we are polluting the world...the plants are still thriving, the fish is still breathing and the rain is still nourishing. Bless the water you drink many people in the world are dying of thirst! We are lucky! love Hilary :)

I wouldn't trust tap water unless it is filtered. I use X20 from www.singerswater.com. Why? Because it provides me with the calicum, silver and electrolytes that I need. I can honestly say that I have not had like a major cold or throat infection in almost 2 years now since I have been on singerswater. X20 is a sachet to add to your water and it costs me about a dollar a day. One of my students is James Labrie from Dream Theater and he is on X20 from singerswater.com. But the bottom line here, is to drink plenty of fresh, clean water, regardless of whether you add something to it. I don't even seriously market or promote the singerswater.com site. It is there if you want it and if you don't, no big deal. All I can tell you is that is has helped me personally:)

JV

• Administrator

I suppose I should have added to my previous post that I have (dual) filters on my tap water as Jamie recommended.

Also, I was told by a local vocalist to try Pedialyte....loaded with electrolytes....works for me, but I certainly wouldn't want to drink it daily. I'll leave it at that - if you read the label you'll notice why...HA HA...

OK, guys, no comments please :) I certainly accept them from the ladies though - "Oh Baby, Baby , Baby...." HA HA :D:cool:

So I'm in a humorous mood tonight....

• Administrator

Warm water always... NEVER COLD! If you watch my "The Vocalist Gig Bag" video... I recommend Celestial Seasons mint tea... its really awesome... make sure you get the MINT or Peppermint tea. Any product other then Celestial Seasons" sucks... in my experience. You can get it at a regular grocery store or here: THIS IS THE ONE!!

http://www.celestialseasonings.com/products/detail.html/herbal-teas/mint-magic

• Administrator

I have some Celestial Seasonings Tea - Mint.

But I also like Throat Comfort and Breathe Deep (add a tsp. of honey) as well as Throat Coat with Echinacea (also add a tsp.of honey). All herbal and caffeine free.

I have so many different teas, I'm a "tea-aholic"...

http://www.I-Herb.com

Great prices, too...

Not to contradict you Darrison, but I personally stay away from stuff like Gatorade because it is LOADED with sugar, which leeches your system of energy. X20 is massive electrolytes, but i am sure that there are toehr alternatives out there as well with plenty of electrolytes and no sugar;)

Hey can I bring some balance here! When I first trained in nutrition I like you guys got hung up on water. With years of patient practice and experience behind me now...it's not so important! Yes you don't want water that's got typhoid or cholera in it or lots of chlorine....so filtering water is necessary in some areas. It depends on your geography, your water authority standards etc etc. I can't speak for the US but the UK has stringent standards on tap water. Recycling it more than 2 or 3 times is also bad news...however water carries vibration too and if you believe it's bad for you it will be. Bless it and your water is fine. Bottled waters in research have proven to hold too much bacteria that can cause intestinal problems, tap water can have too much chlorine but overall..tap water isn't the enemy marketing water is making you believe. Distilled water will leech minerals out of your system too. If you want balanced electrolyte function you shouldn't be puttting in added electrolytes you could mess up your whole body's systems! I have written a blog on hydration if you wish to take a look! love your water! h

Water here in the states is horrible Hilary. Also, speaking from my own personal experience, I have to disagree with you on the elctrolyte additives. Buit that is not to say you are wrong, but that I have to go with my gut and personal experience. I have NOT been sick in almost 2 years since starting X20 and I am endorsed my Pro Tours/Travell Wellness owner Ocea, and I know that she has did extensive studies in holistic health and is at the top of the game when it comes to creating the best vocal products out there. She prides herself on the purity of any product she releases and I know she likes water like SmartWater ™ which is full of electrolytes. SmartWater is becoming popular here in the states

well the water from the sink here in florida needs to be filtered or boiled, tastes like the swamps lol. I actually do not drink gatorade often now, but used to drink it after shows all the time. I will look into X20. There are actually a ton of different vitamin waters on the market with no suger. Personally you guys would drink what I drink in a day lol about 20 cups of coffee with heavy cream give or take a few starbucks double expresso lattes. but I guess my body is adapted, my voice as well. My throat and sing stay in place fine for me, although I know I need to start doing leg workouts, they tire when I'm on my feet sing a lot. they are almost at times not strong enough to support my breathing and voice. I do drink cranberry juice often.

Ya know Darrison, I read somewhere a while back about a study saying the body does adapt if you drink lots of caffeine. I try to deter singers from it, but then again, people are different and what may affect one, may not affect the other. I know when I was staying with Tony Harnell writing our book that we lived on coffee. I must admit that it kept phlegm on my throat but after 3-4 days, it was like I got used to it. Wouldn't want to do it all the time thought. We were just working like crazy;)

Hi guys I guess you're just proving the fact that each person is unique in their health and there is no blanket solution for all. When I quit my practice I had over 50 patients I was helping and there is much more to it than the water we drink. However it is also not as complex as many nutritional marketers would have you believe! Like your lady Jaime I treat holistically and with the voice Darrison I find a cup of coffee beneficial if I have a sore throat. If you are looking after yourself well overall......your body manages all things in it's stride. That is true holistic health. We are connected to our environment from our mouth to our anus and we have a whole eco system inside us. The mind and colon connection is also well documented...however we do not know the whole and are still learning and people are still sucked in to a quick fix and a product for this and a product for that. When you put in something it affects the whole and if you don't know how your body's physiology is before you do it...you can't be sure of the long term affects. I'm pleased to hear Jaime that you are doing well on your water I will check it out..I haven't had chance yet. I just want people to understand balance. I have also worked with top people in the UK in Nutritional Medicine, Cancer Care, Sound and Energy Medicine so I can speak with experience and authority. I'm sorry if the US water is that bad. I must admit I didn't drink tap water in New York! love H :)

Hi I checked out the X20. Basically you are buying a water soluble mineral supplement with a bottle of water rather than a plain bottle of water....so as the topic was about water....it's a slight detour. Yes the water allows greater take up in the cell for the electrolytes to function better. However it is similar to taking the supplements in a liquid form or a capsule/tablet with water.....albeit the take up is slower. I still stand firm that taking something like this all the time as a basic part of the diet can actually lead to imbalance long term. You should also understand that there are contraindications to many vitamins and minerals just as there are in pharmaceutical drugs. Both forms of medicine use isolated compounds in above normal dosages to chemically alter the body's functionality. In nutrition or medicine this is usually done at a point when the body is in need of the alteration to enhance health. If you generally pretty healthy...you shouldn't need to take high levels of minerals and vitamins. I would advocate that due to the poor quality of food production in our modern age..that a good multi vitamin/mineral supplement is a must. It is however the level of concentrations I would be concerned about in any product claiming extreme results. A body's health status is determined by it's ability to handle sickness....not necessarily never be sick. The ability to get over a cold gives an indication of the body's "vitality" or "life force" in dealing with ill health. It's always a matter of choice. :lol: H

• 1 month later...