Voice great in the evenings, but not the best before 3-4 p.m

Rate this topic

GuitarLord

Hi there,

I have a problem that I usually find it hard to sing before something like 3-4 p.m. every day.

I can sing pretty good very well high notes afternoon and even better in the evenings (I find my range is awesome in the evenings, I can sing most of the commercial songs in the evenings with great technique), but when I wake up my range is pretty lower, my voice is pretty deeper (like a frog voice) and need hours to be ready for good singing... and over and over like that every day...

So I was wondering what would be good warm-up for edge and curbing (I guess that is what I'm missing - warmups..). I mostly sing rock, it's mostly 'edge' I think, but often it's also curbing for many notes. I almost never use 'neutral' - I'm pretty bad with it but for the music I sing I pretty much don't need it too much at the moment :)

So also, what can I do beside warming-up to make my voice prepared more faster after I wake up, and my range more like in the evenings faster?

Hi there,

I have a problem that I usually find it hard to sing before something like 3-4 p.m. every day.

I can sing pretty good very well high notes afternoon and even better in the evenings (I find my range is awesome in the evenings, I can sing most of the commercial songs in the evenings with great technique), but when I wake up my range is pretty lower, my voice is pretty deeper (like a frog voice) and need hours to be ready for good singing... and over and over like that every day...

So I was wondering what would be good warm-up for edge and curbing (I guess that is what I'm missing - warmups..). I mostly sing rock, it's mostly 'edge' I think, but often it's also curbing for many notes. I almost never use 'neutral' - I'm pretty bad with it but for the music I sing I pretty much don't need it too much at the moment :)

So also, what can I do beside warming-up to make my voice prepared more faster after I wake up, and my range more like in the evenings faster?

GuitarLord: It takes between 2 and 4 hours for the overnight edema (swelling due to fluid accumulation) in the vocal bands to dissipate. Light warmups, mostly of the voice-stretching types, for 15 mins per hour will be about the best you can do. If you have to perform or record at 10am, get up at 6. Exercise your body, too. Go for a walk. Drink a moderate amount of water.

During the time you are not actually singing, do memorization work, learn new songs.

Well done, Steven. My problem is usually the opposite. Primarily because my sinus allergies, I suppose. In the morning, I hack up phlegm, etc. But my voice is rested. But late in the evenings, I am tired and my voice fatigues easily. So, my best singing is a few hours after I wake up. Even though I am not a "morning" person.

HolaChau: Do you mean voice-stratching? Its what we do in the morning here in Texas. We stratch!

I corrected the spelling.

Well, I got the right word and when asking made the same spelling mistake you made :P my question was what is a scretching warm up to do in the morning

GuitarLord: It takes between 2 and 4 hours for the overnight edema (swelling due to fluid accumulation) in the vocal bands to dissipate. Light warmups, mostly of the voice-stretching types, for 15 mins per hour will be about the best you can do. If you have to perform or record at 10am, get up at 6. Exercise your body, too. Go for a walk. Drink a moderate amount of water.

During the time you are not actually singing, do memorization work, learn new songs.

That is very interesting. I do my saturday lessons at 7am and normally get up 530. It seems like it takes like 50min to warm up my voice. Not 60min of straight exercises but I do them for 10-15, then stop for a few then pick it up again. I do this in my car on the 45min drive up. Then we do 10min of warm ups at studio. Then my voice responses like its in the afternoon.