Felipe Carvalho - Hurt (9 Inch Nails/Johny Cash)

Rate this topic

This is a cool song that was in my plans to do a decent study for a while, very interesting, full of details and "traps". For example, at first my idea was on the lines of "I will just support and darken the living hell out of it", but it sounded just wrong, after experimenting a long time, I found that it sounds much better to just relax and just speak it more, working with lower intensity (kinda the same that happens with everything else haha, but, tricked me anyways).

https://app.box.com/s/fw4z4p9bxailqaq8mjrqz4lmuz2h74m6

Hope you like it! Let me know please, everyone that listens and that can drop a few lines, thanks a lot!!!

I agree, this is beautiful, and I think the fact that you focused less on darkening everything and emoted it through a "speaking" frame of mind worked out really well and made every phrase authentic and natural sounding. Less intense definitely works here. Haunting.

Very cool Felipe, nice interpreation and you nicely get the atmosphere of that song. And yes, you are exactly right about the darkening. I still hear you struggling slightly on the lowest notes. A tip I can give you on those is that you try to brighten them, so not only "not darken" them, but intentionally sing them brighter than you would normally speak.

In CVT they teach that you should go for what they call Edge mode on your lowest notes (below tessitura) and I think that this is exactly right. It basically means that you lift the back of the tongue stronger (twang more) and raise the cheeks (smile) a little, very similar to what a lot of people do in the higher range.

I think the lowest notes are on the word "here" mostly, you can try to sing it like H-A-RE with the A as in "cat" for a start and then modify from there to the original word. Also add just slightly more support to the notes that go below your normal speaking range, at least that is what works for me down there.

BTW: Are you playing the guitar there? This song is also really hard on timing imo in the verses, but you hit that very well.

I'm digging this. Nice rendition of the song. I like the richness of your lower range and the way the phrasing drifts just a little and keeps that conversational feel. 

I agree with Benny a bit on the low note thing. I remember gaining 2 semi tones from Jonpall's suggestion in maintaining twang. Now, you sound at least a semi tone or lower in placement and with a naturally darker timbre than I am. I feel like you're better equipped to handle this song. But if I do that twang thing it stabilizes this region of my voice.

If I grab that section, no compression, 12 inches from mic (no proximity boost):

https://app.box.com/s/5a487winlv1kxqlzrqaiklfyotc0llm6

You can hear my volume decreasing on those G2s (far from a bass). Volume will steadily decrease to some point but the twang has a stabilizing effect on the way down.

Nice job on that.  Very different from from what we normally hear from you.  I like the tone you are getting in the low range - rich and bright.  It is kind of a haunting song.  Well done.

Nice Job Felipe, ......... Just an observation ............. it helps to record this after a few days of beating yourself up over all the crap that goes on in this life.  There is a certain pain that causes one to think......." I hurt myself today, just to see if I can feel " .........Been there done that .....the expression of this feeling is very subtle. To get it in your voice almost takes reliving it as you sing. It is never a matter of "do I sing this dark or do I express it through a talk/sing? "

I am also not proposing that every time you sing this you must be in that state of mind (that could put one into the loony bin,).......but certainly while working the song and getting the nuances down it helps.

Good point, MDEW, on interpretation. In a live performance of NIN, Trent sounded more threatening. Cash sound more remorseful, which is the feeling I had when I sang it. I have hurt people, either intentionally or through my own fumbling messes.

So, what you bring to the song can influence the song.

Good point, MDEW, on interpretation. In a live performance of NIN, Trent sounded more threatening. Cash sound more remorseful, which is the feeling I had when I sang it. I have hurt people, either intentionally or through my own fumbling messes.

So, what you bring to the song can influence the song.

Thanks Ronws, I want people to know that my observation was not directed towards Felipes recording, Just a point to ponder for those also working on this song.

I have been thinking about recording this but it would be in a different direction from Felipe, John and Trent......I tend to express my pain a few notes higher than Johnny.;)