Does Drinking = Better Voice?

Rate this topic

Mike Everette

Hello there, so you came here with in mind "No way!"

Or maybe because when i drink i think i sound better. Ladies and gents, it gives me confidence.

This is what i need to get past, i have recorded myself drinking and that's the only time i sound good. I am a song wrighter, and i play almost every instrument out there. It seems whenever there are people listeining, i forget how too. I cant imagine what i would sound like if i got past this confidence issue i have.

I live in an apartment, i cant let loose unless NO ONE is near me, and that is when i am most confident.

Ive came here to ask you, have you ever had this simular issue...And how did you get past it...

Much Love, Michael.

Maybe try busking or playing locally at a park semi publicly? I have had similar issues that I intended to overcome through desensitization.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systematic_desensitization

I've had mild agoraphobia and social phobias for many years, but I've managed to play guitar publicly. Now my voice isn't reliable no matter how relaxed I am and if I tense up I'm done for (aggravates nerve pain) so I don't think I'm going to be singing publicly ever barring a medical miracle, but I still play guitar semi publicly at times and it seems like it gets easier the more it is done.

I'm living fairly close to a park right now and when weather is right intend to bring my guitar there to see how I handle it. So maybe take an instrument you're most confident with and find a public space and ease into it.

• Administrator

WELCOME Mike, thanks for uploading a profile pic.

Drinking? 

It could be that it lightens you up and relaxes you. I dare say, one small bit of drink could result in a better performance, for people that cannot relax. But honestly, it is not preferred because you are going to cloud your reflexes, dumb down your ears and ability to be objective and accurate about the quality of what you are singing and I don't think it does any favors for the vocal folds. That rather goes without anyone having to say it, doesn't it? It is just common sense.

I don't recommend it, but I preface that by saying, perhaps a little bit of "buzz" can loosen you up. If that is the case, one begs to question, why do you need to be "tipsy" to loosen up? THAT would be the more important question and issue to work on. The need to drink before you record, is a symptom of something else that needs to be addressed in my view. 

A bit of info on how alcohol works: it works on the GABA A receptor of the brain, as do benzodiazepines, but a bit differently. The GABA A receptor is an inhibitory feature of the brain and body's functioning which can put the 'brakes' on things like seizures, cramps, and anxiety. Alochol is known as a central nervous system depressant. 

You have to beware though that the brain is self aware to changes arising from foreign substances in its functioning. Prolonged exposure to alcohol, the GABA A receptors will downregulate (become less effective) without the presence of the substance, creating a cycle of dependence, tolerance, and withdrawal. 

Dependence is when a body adapts to a substance. Tolerance is when the body adapts enough you'd need a higher dose to achieve the original effect. Withdrawal is the body no longer functioning properly with removal of the substance. 

So if you were to regularly drink alchohol, most likely your tolerance will increase. If it increases enough, you might be tempted to increase the dose. Your baseline might be below what it was prior to drinking and you might be tempted to drink more to get more relief. This creates a circular pattern that people ramp up substances (people call this substance abuse).

So whether it would be useful for you, likely depend on how much tolerance you develop with the amount that is helpful. If it keeps you at higher than base line relaxation for a concert without a pattern of escalating dose, it might be helpful. But if you find yourself in a cycle where you have to keep increasing dose, then it's a slippery slope.

Anyway, I am currently dependent on a particular kind of anti depressant for treating nerve pain. If I stop taking the medication, it flares up worse than prior to taking the medication (withdrawal), however, if I keep a stable dose of the substance, I have overall less pain than prior to taking the medication. So being on it is better than being off it, and coming off it now is worse than never taking it. :4:  

Pretty much all mind altering substances have the same patterns of the body adapting to their presence. So it's all about whether your base line improves or deteriorates with use. Alcohol is a pretty notoriously difficult substance for some people to manage, so you may look into other sorts of anxiety management solutions, that might be more  prove more stable and might target anxiety more specifically.

But keep in mind the brain can make functional alterations in response to its environment. So something like desensitization in the long run would change your brain's chemistry on a FMRI, as would a mind altering substance. Try to choose the best combination for you. 

Hello there, so you came here with in mind "No way!"

Or maybe because when i drink i think i sound better. Ladies and gents, it gives me confidence.

This is what i need to get past, i have recorded myself drinking and that's the only time i sound good. I am a song wrighter, and i play almost every instrument out there. It seems whenever there are people listeining, i forget how too. I cant imagine what i would sound like if i got past this confidence issue i have.

I live in an apartment, i cant let loose unless NO ONE is near me, and that is when i am most confident.

Ive came here to ask you, have you ever had this simular issue...And how did you get past it...

Much Love, Michael.

There isnt much to say about it, if you hold it back, it wont sound good, thats for sure. You just answered your own question, it supresses the problem and gives you confidence.

Best way to overcome fears and lack of confidence is exposure. Let loose when people are around just for the sake of letting lose, dont worry about quality. Get more and more exposure, and eventually you will get past it.

All great responces....... I have the opposite problem of most people.... I freeze in front of family and casual events but if I am paid to perform I have no problem. I guess I am there to do a job instead of just having fun.......... Weird isn't it.

Unlike family......... People who paid to hear you expect you to succeed and have a different attitude. Also the more THEY drink the better I sound. :headbang:

Try this:  

1)warm up easily, and turn on your recorder for 1'take, and.turn off the recorder.

2) work the details of the song, to refresh your muscle memory.

3) take 1 drink, and wait 1/2 hour.  Make another recording.  Repeat this step immediately. Do not listen to the recordings yet.

4) after a total of 5 drinks, and 6 recordings, stop the session.  Put the recording away for 2 days.

5) on the third day, listen to all the recordings, and pick the one that sounds the most like you want to be heard.  If you want other opinions, listen with others.  Just ask them to tell you which one they enjoyed the most, without telling them about how you did it.

have fun!

Try this:  

1)warm up easily, and turn on your recorder for 1'take, and.turn off the recorder.

2) work the details of the song, to refresh your muscle memory.

3) take 1 drink, and wait 1/2 hour.  Make another recording.  Repeat this step immediately. Do not listen to the recordings yet.

4) after a total of 5 drinks, and 6 recordings, stop the session.  Put the recording away for 2 days.

5) on the third day, listen to all the recordings, and pick the one that sounds the most like you want to be heard.  If you want other opinions, listen with others.  Just ask them to tell you which one they enjoyed the most, without telling them about how you did it.

have fun!

I don't drink, but I am in love with this experiment and this post. You make me want to drink, Steven!

I don't drink, but I am in love with this experiment and this post. You make me want to drink, Steven!

KillerKu...

It would be spectacularly effective if done by a non-drinker.  :4:

Seriously, I recall a famous bit on the tonight show, back when they did 90 minutes per show.  Johnny and Ed took a shot every 15 minutes, and then tried to perform detail-oriented tasks.  They got sillier and sillier, and progressively worse on the tasks,

• Administrator

Actually I don't drink... seriously, I don't like alcohol. It is very rare that I drink anything... usually just peer pressure is the only reason I will drink.

Same here, Coach. I have NO NEED to drink. I honestly can't tell you the last time I had an alcoholic beverage. (???) MANY, MANY, MANY years ago !!!

Thanks, Adolph. I will have a scotch, neat, preferrably Glenfiddich Special Reserve (12 year old) and a Diet Coke chaser. Somethiing about single malts from the Speyside hills of Scotland just creates magic ...

Kidding aside, there is a fine line between 1 or 2 and too much. While one might calm the nerves, what I find can happen is that long before the systemic dehydration of alcohol happens, the fine motor control goes. Not just for timing and memory but just general muscle tone that helps one hold a note.

I am not saying don't drink. But I am saying that a person should know his limits and act accordingly. Better yet, stay sober for the show and then tie one on, after.

• Administrator

Thanks, Adolph. I will have a scotch, neat, preferrably Glenfiddich Special Reserve (12 year old) and a Diet Coke chaser. Somethiing about single malts from the Speyside hills of Scotland just creates magic ...

Kidding aside, there is a fine line between 1 or 2 and too much. While one might calm the nerves, what I find can happen is that long before the systemic dehydration of alcohol happens, the fine motor control goes. Not just for timing and memory but just general muscle tone that helps one hold a note.

I am not saying don't drink. But I am saying that a person should know his limits and act accordingly. Better yet, stay sober for the show and then tie one on, after.

You're most Welcome, Ron :) Sounds like an interesting drink ! If I were to drink, my preference would be a "Manhattan". Very simple : Two shots and a 'splash' of whiskey, 3/4 shot of Vermouth, and while most bartenders (and others) add 'bitters', drop the bitters. Instead, add about a teaspoon of FLAT Pepsi. Excellent !!!

Yes, all kidding aside.... First, I have nothing against someone drinking, but do so sensibly !!! Alcohol can destroy the liver. ergo : cirrhosis of the liver as but ONE example ! Secondly, I don't mean to preach, but never drink and drive. Is it worth it to 'take' innocent lives ? And further, is it worth it to go to PRISON over a "good time" ? Having been in law enforcement, I've seen way TOO MANY deaths and serious injuries ! And usually, it wasn't the drunk driver behind the wheel that died or was injured, but rather the 'innocents' !

You also brought up an interesting point : ".....the systemic dehydration of alcohol happens...." Most people don't realize that the body eliminates alcohol at a rate of .001 % per hour ! That is, depending on how much one consumes, it may take DAYS for all of the alcohol to be eliminated from the body. While one may THINK they are sober the next day it simply isn't true and he or she could still be legally intoxicated !!!

I realize I've gone off topic, but I felt I should share this information.....  Stay SAFE everyone !!!

And alcohol is alcohol, regardless of the source. Beer in Texas averages between 5 and 7 percent. In Oklahoma, by law, beer can only be 3 percent, max. 

Beer is a blend of barley and hops, basically grains that are fermented.

Wine is usually from fermented grapes and grape juice.

Whiskey is a simple beer (single grain lager) with attitude. Usually, barley. For example, a single malt scotch whiskey is one batch of barley that went through the same malting process using the same batch of peat. Blended scotch whiskey can be made from a few different batches of malted barley (the leftovers from a batch that won't quite make another round of single malt) and is usually less expensive but must still abide by the rules of distilling at least twice and then aged for at least 3 years.

A little trivia, it can only be scotch whiskey if it is made in Scotland (regardless of where it is bottled.) Anything made outside the 5 regions of Soctland is just whiskey.

Anyway, 1 12 oz beer equals 1 normal glass of wine equals a single of whiskey which is about 2 shots. Mark Baxter did a pretty good video on this. His point was to enjoy yourself but alternate with water. 1 beer then, 1 water. Same with the other sizes. Point being, you are taking in liquids and you are better off if you maintain a higher water to alcohol ratio.

Word of advice when drinking whiskey, vodka, bourbon, moonshine (usually based on mashed and sour corn). Sip it very small and very slow, do not slug it. Then chase it with water or a soft drink. Or make a mixed drink. A bloody mary is vodka and tomato or vegetable juice and black pepper. There is a whiskey version made with scotch and it is called a bannockburn but I like to call it a "Bloody Mary, Queen of Scots." :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Alcohol enters the blood stream and it is a drying agent and given enough, will cause a systemic dehydration, including the vocal folds. Vocal folds are hydrated from the inside out and the false vocal folds are membranes that secrete on to the surface of the folds to keep them moist and pliant. So, you always need a little mucus.

Long before you get to the point of fold dehydration, you will fall asleep. Then wake up the next day with "cotton mouth." This due in part to dehydration and in part to sleeping with your mouth open, which can happen because your muscles are so lax.

"I woke up Sunday morning with no way to hang my head that didn't hurt. So, stumbled to the closet through my clothes and found my cleanest dirty shirt ..."

And definitely heed Adolph. Do not drink and then drive. Let us take the worst case scenario of not driving. You go to a club and take a cab or bus home. And your car gets towed the next morning. So, one day in the impound, about $180 plus cab or bus fare to get there. As opposed to wrecking your $10,000 car, the average of about 10k in legal and court fees, the deductible on your insurance, which will now go up because you have a DUI. Call it 25k even. And the next car you get will have an interlock on it. It is keyed to your voice print. (Sorry Jens) Each voice has a distinct sound, like a finger print or retina pattern. You have to blow and hum and then wait for the sensor to register before the ignition will work. I have had 2 co-workers that had to deal with that. In addition, the interlock can beep and require you to blow and hum while you are driving. These days, the interlock clears for only a minute, so that you cannot blow clear at one time, go drink, and then start the car later. And you can not have a friend blow and hum into the tube for you, because their voiceprint is different than yours is and the device is calibrated to you, specifically.

And this is all if no one gets hurt or killed. One co-worker only wrecked his truck. He was out about 16k which was every last penny he had.

If you injure or kill someone else because of your drunk driving, several things are going to happen. Several states, including Texas have what is called DUI manslaughter. A death caused by irresponsible actions of another. For that, you can go to prison. Not city jail, but state prison, though, with overcrowding, you may sit in the local city or county jail, accumulating time served while waiting for a bunk and bunk mate in prison. (Yeah, think about that scene, for a moment.)

In addition to prison, and some convicted felons can be denied the right to vote and the right purchase firearms, you can be sued by the family or familes of people who are injured or killed as a result of your DUI incident. They can sue for monetary damages. The person you killed had a lifetime earning potential that is no longer possible because of your negligence. And it doesn't take much for them to win because the requirements of a civil case are different than a criminal case. In a criminal case, the prosecuting attorney has to prove beyond reasonable doubt and the defense attorney only has to provide doubt.

In a civil case, the one who wins is the one who shows a preponderance of evidence and you could only fight that if you could show a greater preponderance of evidence that you were not drunk and negligent.

And last but not least is the mental anguish of having caused another person's death, especially needlessly. The rest of your life against a cab fare and maybe a tow fee. And, locally, on New Year's Eve, there are tow companies that will provide you a free tow up to 5 miles. Anything past that and you might pay a few dollars. So, for the cost of a cab ride, you and your car make it home, intact. Without legal and civil repercussions.

Other clubs don't mind if you leave your car parked overnight. And some cab companies will offer free rides up to 5 miles. There is no reason to drive while inebriated.

And if you know you are going to drink, take a cab to the pub or club or whatever. I don't care how much the cab ride costs, it is nothing compared to what I have listed above.

I am not against drinking and enjoy some, myself. And then not drive anywhere. If I am going to a friend's house and drinking, I am sleeping there. Such friends know to expect that and will tell me when I walk in where I can crash for the night, if you will pardon the pun.

Good case in point, the News Year Eve party where I was the entertainment, with some help from others, including a locally known saxophonist. In fact, we did the only cover I know of "Freebird" with a tenor sax playing the solo (you had to be there.) I had 3 beers (5 percent) over 6 hours, lots of Diet Coke, and lots of finger foods, buffet style. And, at midnight, I had some champagne. Our host's kids were at a party at another house, so my wife I could sleep in on of their rooms, which was a mattress on the floor. Not a prob. I would have slept on the living room floor if that is what was left.

"whiskey bottles, brand new cars. Oak tree you're in my way ..."

Not that night or any other night.

And I still had to play amateur shrink that night. One of our friends was totally blitzed but wanted to leave and get home because his boyfriend/partner is a jealous and controlling type and I had to talk him into just laying down and sleeping. I think the next year they took off and eloped to California. Bless him, I hope he is doing well.

So, don't be afraid to stop a friend from driving drunk. even if you had a few. In my opinion, being drunk or just having a few drinks does not absolve a person of responsibility or humanity.

Another option, if going with friends, one of you needs to be the designated driver. That is the person who does NOT drink that night and drives the car for everyone else. Life is so tough if you or someone has to go one night without drinking. Poor baby, boo hoo .... So you're the designated driver and don't drink New Year's Eve. Save it up for your birthday and get plastered and someone else can cart your sodden hide around. The point is to survive the night and wake up the next morning. For you, for others on the road, for the police officers, such as Adolph was, who are out there protecting us and are as much at risk of injury and death from a DUI incident as anyone else.

I know I took this down a farther stretch of the path than did Adolph and I think he and Robert will grant me leeway this one time but I think education about alcohol and the legal and moral questions of it are as important as are the effects on our singing voices.

So, by all means, enjoy a drink, sometimes before a show. But don't let it affect the singing. After the show? "and get blinded out of your mind. Don't worry about tomorrow, there's no time today, have one more drink, there'll be hell to pay ...have a drink on me"

Just be responsible. At any show, George Thoroughgood, known for such songs as "One Shot, One Bourbon, One Beer" and "Drink Alone" intersperses the lyrics and ends with the advice to be reponsible in your drinking, if you drink.

And you don't need to drink to sing drinking songs effectively. But don't let one drink scare you if that is all that it is.