• TMV World Member

can someone critique my cover of "Rolling in the Deep" please?

I'm practicing vocal runs/falsetto and would love any advice I can get please.

A few things,

At "We could've had it alllllll" my falsetto wavers every single time I try this. It's very low in my falsetto range but I can't switch to mixed voice that quickly. What is a god exercise that will help me transition quickly?

I'm 20, male, and have been singing for about two years on and off. I think my breathing is okay at this point but I had some trouble breathing around the halfway point of this song until "We could've had it all".

Thanks!

• Administrator

Hey Hunter!

Its great to have you here! Thanks for becoming a member and posting your soundcloud in properly.

You have a nice voice and lots of potential.

It is a little bit flat, but I think that is because of a lack respiration and amplification in your voice which comes from better vocal fold compression.

The falsetto part you are referring to is just a standard slip of the musculature as you transition from your chest voice to your head voice. What needs to happen hear is you need to train your voice and do workouts to get stronger. That is a bit of a broad statement, but it is a statement that is certain.

How are you training? What are you doing that works on building compression or better vocal fold closure? The bottom line is, you have to be training the proper way to build the musculature to get a good bridge like that.

Another point is, this is a high note for a male voice, especially if you are not trained up to it. Why are you singing an Adele song?

• TMV World Member

Thanks for the response, I have just recently seen a few of your YouTube videos and loved your video explaining away mixed voice, it helped me quite a bit actually.

To be honest I have not been training regularly at all, for the last two years my only training was being in a choir and singing karaoke. The last month or so I have been spending an hour a day practicing though, doing "May May May" up and down the pentatonic scale as a warmup. then doing sirens, before doing "Mee may mah moh moo" down to my lowest range and "Ba ba ba" from my high chest range until the top of my falsetto. Sorry, a bit hard to put warmups into words but I hope it was clear!

I want to sing Jazz/Alternative mostly, so I I really want a smooth falsetto for songs like "Creep" but a strong enough falsetto to do pop songs as well. I did lower the key of this song by 2 steps so that I could hit it at a more comfortable part of my range while still practicing falsetto. I can hit these notes (except the high note in "rolling in the dee^ee^eep") in head voice but due to not being able to sing that highest note with head voice, and not being able to do runs from falsetto to head voice very well, I just stuck with falsetto until the phrase, "Had my heart inside your hand".

EDIT: Oh, yeah the reason I'm singing Adele is because I'm practicing runs (not sure if that's a good word for it but I think they're called melismas?) right now and there are lots of easy runs her songs. I'm not quite ready for the more complex stuff yet. Hopefully what I said throughout this post was clear, it's kind of all over the place.

EDIT 2: Also I'm curious on how to add notes to my head voice, I see a lot of singers hitting notes much higher than my own while clearly not using falsetto. Is it just the result of a ton of practice? Genetics? Or is it a technique that must be taught/observed in order to reproduce it? Currently my highest non-falsetto note is G#4 but it's not reliable so my real highest is probably G4. Are there any specific exercises that are really good for increasing that range? On the flip-side, I'm singing bass in a choir right now (because I'm the only guy in this choir we are doing SAB music, I'm usually a tenor) and need to hit an F2, which is a full note lower than my current G2. I see tons of exercises online on improving lower range but I guess I'm looking for another opinion on that. My apologies for all the questions, no need to hit them all. I am very grateful for your time!

• Administrator

Yes there is way too much here.  Too many questions that are full of confusion about the voice and what needs to be done. ALL of this will be taken care of if you train properly. What are these workouts and warm ups your working with? Where did they come from?  These questions are scattered and all over the place and this will never change. This will be your experience regarding singing... confusion and no answers and little to no results until you change your situation.

Answering and trying to explain all these questions is like trying coral a group of cats. Seriously. I may as well chase 20 cats around the room and try to get them into one box, it is impossible. Like most people, you are completely confused and you don't have the content you need to fix the problem. 

The one good thing you do have going for you is this forum and making contact with me and others on this forum. That is the beginning of sorting things out. Look, purchase my vocal training program and start getting some clarity on how the voice works, learn how to practice and get the content you really need to fix these issues. Im not just trying to sell you my stuff... HONESTLY, that is the best thing I can recommend for you is, get my training program and start learning about the singing voice and start training the right things. Watching YouTube videos can give you some "ah-ha" moments, but that is not training and most of the stuff on YouTube is garbage that isn't going to help you at all.

Contact me personally and I'll give you a deal on my program. Click here and check it out. "The Four Pillars of Singing"... 

• TMV World Legacy Member

Breathing for singing is different than breathing for speaking. So, don't speak the lines, sing them. We most often speak on residual air pressure we brought in from inhalation. As opposed to singing, where you need to slow down the escape of breath. And then, allow the note to resonate where it needs to be. It's a physics thing but basically, a higher note needs a smaller space for proper resonation.

• TMV World Member

Hi Hunter

if your having trouble with runs this is what i do, i sing the the part with the runs really slowly and really make sure i get every note then speed it up (it helps a lot.

you have a nice voice just keep up the hard work :)

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi Hunter, welcome to the forum! Lots of great people on here and lotsa songs clips to listen to from members. Elise is a fantastic singer and I would check out what she is doing as she is a fine example of a young singer with TONS of talent.