Joining a band or going solo

Rate this topic

Jarom

Should I stay solo or join a band? What are the pros and cons? I ask because I have received multiple requests from different bands to sing for them. I think a band would be fun but I fear I would lose my freedom. I want to make my own music my own way but..... then again..... bands sound fuller

Do you have any Singing or performing Gigs now? Are these bands local to your area? Do they have any performing gigs? Are they already friends or people that you just met? Have you heard them perform?   Do they play the songs that you like? Just a few things to help you make up your mind.

Say yes to every project as some will become something and some will not.  You will meet new musicians and create new music and other friendships, and you will learn something from everyone ...Solo will always be there ;).   

#advicefromatrueoldtimer

I'd take this advice, unless the offer is clearly from a nutjob. Dan is the one here who has succeeded the longest in the music business and it's about 'getting out there.' A huge portion of it is social contacts.

I've heard endless stories of not being the right fit for one position but the right for another. Jimi hendrix starts as Little Richard's guitar player. Jimmy Page starts as a session musician, that kind of thing. Look up a random singer, E.G. David Bowie, most had bands prior to their big break.

Had I chosen to pursue the music business this would have been my number one issue. I'm reclusive and an extreme introvert. I find it really difficult to maintain any social contact with anyone, regardless of who. I've met a few musicians in the past I might have connected with, but I'd fail to maintain contact and things wouldn't go anywhere.

• Administrator

Really good advise Dan...

@Jarom

Do BOTH. You don't have to make  choice. Work on solo material while you are trying to nail down a band. Bands are fickle. They can break up really easy, you have to deal with other people, many things out of your control... but every so often you find the right group of people and it works, so you should always keep looking and trying as Dan says... but in the meantime, the nice thing about solo projects is, its always there for you to keep going. 

Listen to Daniel and Robert.

Questions: what freedom are you losing? If the style of music of these bands suits you, why not join? You can always go artsy and solo, later. Please believe, time passes by faster than you think. Get out and make your bones, now.

Or go solo and write your own stuff. Now.

The key word being "now."