Not singing while menstruating?

Rate this topic

Whangdoodle

My daughter's new voice teacher has asked her to cancel any lessons that fall on the first couple days of her period.  She claims that, because menstruation affects the body in a variety of ways, it can be damaging to the voice to sing during this time.  The idea that the menstrual cycle could affect the voice seems reasonable to me, and I was able to find some information online saying something similar.  But I'm just wondering if it is actually counterproductive and permanently damaging to sing during this time or whether this is just a bit of folklore.  Do professional singers cancel auditions and performances during their periods, for example?  I would rather not cancel my daughter's lessons unnecessarily when she will probably already be sidelined a few times a season for valid reasons like illness.  Thanks for your advice!  

Wow! I've never heard of that before! I am no vocal teacher not even an accomplished singer yet, just a singer in the making, but I don't think there is any relationship between singing during period and damaging the voice. I would assume that it might be more taxing on your daughter's body, depending on how bad she feels and her skill level, but that would be all. Anyway, I'm sure that someone more knowledgeable than me will post something similar. Cheers

I used to think that menstruation had nothing to do with singing, thought such a suggestion was sexist and misogynistic. Then someone linked in a study and I think even a female member at the time said something. So, I shut my mouth. I don't know what it is like to have a cycle and what it might do to one's body. I would imagine ladies with stronger symptoms like cramps and bloating might have a harder time because of the discomfort and general swelling incurred.

Thank you guys for your thoughts--very helpful and sensible!  Another thing that occurred to me is that it might really be the premenstrual timeframe when tissues are more fragile--this is what you hear when it comes to things like scheduling appointments for body waxing, for example).  If this is the case, the teacher's instructions make less sense.  But I'm neither a doctor nor a vocal expert.  Thanks again!