Being “Ready” As a Singer While Still Not Believing It

Rate this topic

Manolito Mystiq

Guys and gals, could you please help me out?

It’s been over ten years that I have studied a lot of different singing methods and systems. Currently I’m studying musicology at the Utrecht University and still I’m really wanting to understand it all. I have a library of singing books in my home, right now. I have this craving for wanting to complete programs, to get certificats (SLS, SS, CVT, EVT, TVS, and the recent Universal Voice System by Alberto ter Doest).

However, when I perform at the university or at those singing courses, I usually get positive comments, that I have so much control over my voice. Yes it does need work here and there, but I might as well just perform and perform and learn from that, because I really know my voice well enough.

I still feel my tone is odd and my English accent—for which I even study an English minor at the University—is still strange. And I hear a lot of peculiarities I want to change, but it might just be part of me. I’ve been transcribing some Dream Theater pieces (because of inaccuracies with the vocal lines on the official sheet music), and LaBrie is constantly preparing the singing pitch by starting a passing tone lower; it can be very distracting if you really look for it, or just part of his style if you accept it.

I think I should just plan to post a song here, one every week. Or create a video how I sing in my whistle voice and exercises I did to improve it.

Do you have any suggestions? I feel like I have wasted my talents by trying to find the key to finally start singing for so long, even though it appears I had it in possession for more than a while now.

Cheers,

Mano

Glad to see you back Manolito.  So are you saying that you want to start teaching or start singing? Either one, Start. And if there is something odd about your voice that you want help fixing post a sample with the offending sound.......... It still may just be a perception on your part that noone else notices. Tone can be readjusted.

There is no "ready" to start singing there is only singing. If you wait you will wait another 10 years and then what? Will you be ready then?

you need to just get out there and sing. The more you sing the more you understand it. The less you sing the more you "try" and understand it. 

I personally decided to sing in my twenties and booked a gig. Realized I wasn't doing something right on that gig. Got a couple vocal lessons, used the warm ups and practiced singing songs everyday. Maybe 5 months later booked a gig singing the songs I had been practicing and never looked back from there I met more musicians, learned more songs auditioned for bands etc. all a while gathering info on singing from books cassettes (yep I'm old) but never stopping to say "I should wait till I'm ready".. 

I still don't think "I'm ready" and I believe if I do think that, I will be bored and stop singing. ;) but singing has not only been a challenge, a career,  but also very fun.  I don't think it would have been very fun just struggling with scales and hard phrases from songs.  Getting out there and performing, entertaining, and singing whether I missed the notes or not made it fun and a good living.....

dont wait!!!!

I'd say for me I would have benefited from waiting a little so I could work a bit on my pitch and comfortable range because I was atrocious when starting. It was similar with my guitar playing, where I couldn't play much of anything when I first picked up the instrument so unless I found the perfect Sid Vicious role, I had to train some to be able to use any instrument much at all.

But you should not be waiting for 'perfection.' That will never come and you will wait  your entire life. If you can sing the notes 70 percent of the time the sooner you get out there and get going the better you'll be. Public performance is a skill you have to train as well and part of it will be having to accept that things don't always go perfectly and pushing forward. A very large portion (majority) of singers here are ready for some kind of live performance gig with their vocal technique in my opinion, and it's very easy to fall into a trap of thinking 'maybe someday.'

You'll likely grow old or ill, and that day may never come, as you'll always have some imperfection to excuse the lack of action. Even if you aren't at a pro level you could do karaoke, or open mic, anything to get out there. There are far more people proficient at various instruments in their bedrooms than out performing. 

You cannot sidestep, go around, avoid or eliminate a stage or stages of just not being good at times.

Sure, you want consistency and to become your best, but to get there without being bad first?

I don't think so.

If your seek a direct route to proficiency without struggle and setbacks you're bound to fail.  

It’s not that I didn’t perform. Back five years ago, I joined the band Complexity as their lead singer. Immediately the members of the band signed us up for a competition. We became second place. I learned a lot from those concerts. Because the band existed without a singer for such a long time, they found it hard to work with a singer, unfortunately, so after the competition, I was fired. 

And I have had setbacks and struggles.

Today, I had a singing lesson, and the teacher (specialized in Estill Voice Training and musical theatre) was baffled at how good I could manage rock material—I sang Dream Theater’s “To Live Forever”—which is so different from belting material in musicals. Often when I sing musical material I get commented how blended it sounds, but that I’m not belting my parts. This is not necessarily wrong, unless I want to audition for a musical role, where it is required. It’s a bit like “Who Wants to Live Forever”, but then the musical version. The first time I heard it, I felt, man, what is that guy doing? It’s like he needs so much effort to reach those high notes, which sound so loud and massive, compared to Freddie’s more flexible approach. 

Singers who study forever before they think they are "officially" ready for the public are like others who spend all their lives in college. They die by "degrees."

http://instantrimshot.com/

Thankyouverymuch. I'm here all week. Try the clam chowder and tip the help staff ....

So, you are here looking for more reason to study and forestall performing for the public, when you have already performed. Did it scare you that bad? Everyone gets some nerves, get over it, get over yourself.

Or you are looking for justification of some sort. I give you permission to sing what you want and if people don't like it, I will give them spankings and withold dessert from them.

Or you just miss us and wanted to say hi but we don't have a general section for things other than just singing. Hi.

Do you sound like LaBrie? Not to me. And who flippin' cares? Just the other day, I was trying to understand hero worship and I still don't get it. I just don't which may be a character flaw of mine. The inability to worship another human. I just knew I was different ....

So, like I used to say, shut up and sing.

@ronws, did I do something wrong for you to tell me to shut up? I’m frustrated and I was expressing that frustration here seeking help. I might’ve misunderstood what you’re saying. I’m very sensitive.

I perform and I know I have abilities and skills in my singing. But I still find it so hard to stand there and say: “Yeah, I’m a singer.” It’s not that I haven’t tried. Over the past five years I have done so many things, you wouldn’t believe. Singing is so close to one’s personality and mine is quite broken and hurt. I know that I should get over myself. Ever since I started therapy in 2010, I’m working so hard on that, but to me it’s not that easy or simple. I’m sorry about that.

Yes, you did misunderstand. I don't mean for you to personally shut up about whatever is bothering you. I meant it as an oxymoronic statement. How can you shut up and sing at the same time? 

You have never done anything to offend me.

However, what I do mean to say is that you are already good enough so, get out there and do it.

And now, I will shut up so that I don't hurt any more feelings.

• Administrator

It’s not that I didn’t perform. Back five years ago, I joined the band Complexity as their lead singer. Immediately the members of the band signed us up for a competition. We became second place. I learned a lot from those concerts. Because the band existed without a singer for such a long time, they found it hard to work with a singer, unfortunately, so after the competition, I was fired. 

And I have had setbacks and struggles.

Today, I had a singing lesson, and the teacher (specialized in Estill Voice Training and musical theatre) was baffled at how good I could manage rock material—I sang Dream Theater’s “To Live Forever”—which is so different from belting material in musicals. Often when I sing musical material I get commented how blended it sounds, but that I’m not belting my parts. This is not necessarily wrong, unless I want to audition for a musical role, where it is required. It’s a bit like “Who Wants to Live Forever”, but then the musical version. The first time I heard it, I felt, man, what is that guy doing? It’s like he needs so much effort to reach those high notes, which sound so loud and massive, compared to Freddie’s more flexible approach. 

Manny,

Ridiculous. I have heard you sing and your good. And you are also active doing things as a singer. I think Dan has strong advise on this thread so far. 

BTW, I removed your soundcloud link. If you want people to listen to your singing and give you feedback... you need to:

1). embed the player.

2). post it in the "Review My Singing" forum... which is a paid service... $5/mth or $35/year. 

See you in the "Review My Singing" forum. 

I understand the frustrations Manolito, I was practicing "House of the Rising Sun" while I thought no one was home. The door opened and I heard my Mother-in-Law yell up the steps "Is someone crying up there?" I had to respond "No, It is just me trying to sing," After that I couldn't practice anymore that day.

Sometimes there gets to be a mental block that you just do not know where it comes from. It could be from someone making a comment not meant to hurt you.

But you already know you can sing, You already know that you have a good sound. If it was because of the Band you were in deciding not to have a singer, That is not a reflection on your singing........ That was their insecurities, thinking that a singer took away from their Musical abilities.........  It could also be that they were jealous because you sound so good and they cannot. They were used to getting compliments on their playing and after they had a singer, the singer was getting the compliments not the musicians. That was probably a blow to their Ego.

Ronws was trying to get you to not let false fears or someone elses Ego problems to stop you from doing something you want to do.

In other words get out there and Sing, regardless of what others think, regardless of whether you can belt in a Musical theater fashion. You have talents that go beyond any limitations at this point. Use them.

I understand the frustrations Manolito, I was practicing "House of the Rising Sun" while I thought no one was home. The door opened and I heard my Mother-in-Law yell up the steps "Is someone crying up there?" I had to respond "No, It is just me trying to sing," After that I couldn't practice anymore that day.

Sometimes there gets to be a mental block that you just do not know where it comes from. It could be from someone making a comment not meant to hurt you.

i get that aswell, "let go of the cat" you sound terrible etc hehe It's just part of training. 

Also getting kicked from a band or replaced happens ive gotten both, it usually has nothing to do with the singing if you are at the level you are. Bigger chance is that you are taking up to much space, or one of the other bandmembers think so.

i would heed ronws advice, just sing and have fun. Gl

:bouncy:Hold a party at your place... Invite your friends.  Make it a 'theme' party, where everyone brings something to entertain all the others for 10 mins..., like...game, a skit, some jokes, a pantomime, impressions, juggling... No rules apply, except common decency.

you...sing 2 songs... 1 slow/easy, 1 energetic and loud.

if you wanted to, you could have your own Karaoke night,

• Administrator

At first glance... Karaoke party may seem corny... but I actually think that is a good idea. Karaoke is not a bad way to get some basic feedback from people and work on your 'nerves' a little bit. Thats a good and very pragmatic idea Steve.

Also, sign up for a karaoke contest that is going on all the time. Turn the heat up a bit, maybe win $500? Thats a good idea and seemingly productive if you win something onto of the experience. There are karaoke machines in The Vocal Gear Store... BTW... Karaoke machines are GREAT for practicing and training vocal technique as well. They really are under appreciated as tools for training...