• TMV World Legacy Member

Note: This was recorded with a phone and it was placed behind me, so the quality is not good and the position is not so good either.

As I mentioned in my other thread¹:

Today, I had a singing lesson, and the teacher (specialized in Estill Voice Training and musical theatre) was baffled at how good I could manage rock material—I sang Dream Theater’s “To Live Forever”—which is so different from belting material in musicals. Often when I sing musical material I get commented how blended it sounds, but that I’m not belting my parts. This is not necessarily wrong, unless I want to audition for a musical role, where it is required. It’s a bit like “Who Wants to Live Forever”, but then the musical version. The first time I heard it, I felt, man, what is that guy doing? It’s like he needs so much effort to reach those high notes, which sound so loud and massive, compared to Freddie’s more flexible approach.

I am satisfied with the performance. It’s a little pitchy here and there, but I especially like the ‘live’ in ‘to live forever’ part and the final note.

To%20Live%20Forever%20Ex1_zpsrvnu98nw.pn

----------

1. http://www.themodernvocalistworld.com/topic/10289-being-“ready”-as-a-singer-while-still-not-believing-it/

EDIT: Something went wrong. I swear I opened up the Review My Singing page. I probably clicked on the wrong ‘Submit Topic’ button (other page). Feel free to move it to the right folder. Sorry guys and gals.

I'm only laughing on the outside
My smile is just skin deep
If you could see inside I'm really crying
You might join me for a weep.

• Administrator

Note: This was recorded with a phone and it was placed behind me, so the quality is not good and the position is not so good either.

As I mentioned in my other thread¹:

Today, I had a singing lesson, and the teacher (specialized in Estill Voice Training and musical theatre) was baffled at how good I could manage rock material—I sang Dream Theater’s “To Live Forever”—which is so different from belting material in musicals. Often when I sing musical material I get commented how blended it sounds, but that I’m not belting my parts. This is not necessarily wrong, unless I want to audition for a musical role, where it is required. It’s a bit like “Who Wants to Live Forever”, but then the musical version. The first time I heard it, I felt, man, what is that guy doing? It’s like he needs so much effort to reach those high notes, which sound so loud and massive, compared to Freddie’s more flexible approach.

I am satisfied with the performance. It’s a little pitchy here and there, but I especially like the ‘live’ in ‘to live forever’ part and the final note.

To%20Live%20Forever%20Ex1_zpsrvnu98nw.pn

----------

1. http://www.themodernvocalistworld.com/topic/10289-being-“ready”-as-a-singer-while-still-not-believing-it/

EDIT: Something went wrong. I swear I opened up the Review My Singing page. I probably clicked on the wrong ‘Submit Topic’ button (other page). Feel free to move it to the right folder. Sorry guys and gals.

Welcome back, Manny ;) I noticed that you renewed your subscription. Thank you !!!

Not to worry about posting in the wrong section. I'm moving your post to : "Review my Singing"

Adolph C. Namlik
Administrator ~ The Modern Vocalist World
Western N.Y.

Email : chief188@hughes.net
716~257~9606
"My Life's A Stage"

Manolito, Have you read the thread on Belt voice musculature and bridging E4 to A4? The last few pages of that thread dealt with the difference between Musical theater Belt, "Rock Belt" and Classical "Belt". Maybe you find a little of what you are looking for there.

Are you wanting to go into Musical theater or is it that your teacher is leading you in that direction?

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

The teacher is a graduated musical theatre student. He’s specialized in Estill Voice Training and knows some CVT, too.

I know the differences, I was just pointing out how he noticed the difference of my singing. I also practiced a musical song with him: “’Til I Hear You Sing,” which I can manage, but needs more work because I’m not used to belting as a musical singer. 

The teacher can guide me well and we understand each other. He did mention that I’m already very capable; we’re mostly working on the little details to make it ‘perfect’.

I do feel I still sound so sharp and thin, but I might incorrectly perceive it that way because I hear myself, which is never accurate.

I think  learning the difference in Musical theater Belt and your style of singing will help "Thicken" your higher notes.  Just like in a lower voice, you can choose the "weight", "Color" or timbre of the higher voice to some degree. After you strengthen the coordination.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

I know, that’s why I’m taking those lessons.

Do you have any comments about me singing the song?

• Administrator

Manny,

This is the first chance I have had to Review your post... sorry for the delay, been dealing a lot with the new launch of "The Four Pillars of Singing"... Are you a member of the new system? I have another "Manny" in there, I thought it might be you.

This is a pretty song. I think your voice sound great and you have nice sound color and support. Your formant seems to tune and align well as you reach above the bridge. It sounds to me like you need to just keep practicing it to iron out the wrinkles. I know that doesn't sound super insightful, but that is merely because your sample sounded pretty good to me. I would give you an A- on it, which is good.

What issues are a concern for you?

Your Estillian teacher... is this Alberto? Why do you feel an Estillian is the best option for you to train a song like this. Does this Estillian sing contemporary and rock? What kind of belt training are you doing?... Specifically, what kinds of belt techniques have you been given further your strength and coordination? What do you have available to you for training content and practice?

Thank’s for your comments, Robert!

Alberto is too busy for private lessons. He’s creating his own system: Universal Voice System! So now we have CVT, EVT, UVS, and TVS, haha!

My teacher, Marco, is using Alberto’s new method as well as EVT. I know that there’s a TVS certified teacher in the Netherlands, but since we can work so well together, I will keep having lessons with Marco for the time being—especially since he is also an actor and he knows how to shape my performance.

I could blast it out more than I’m doing right now. It might be the Singing Succes training over the years. On the other hand, clearly I’m not using a musical belt, which is far more demanding and I think not even suitable for this material. LaBrie wouldn’t be able to sing a setlist of 2+ hours with a musical belt.

I’m practicing “Eyes of a Stranger” as well. I think my control of my high range is quite solid. I just need to do more and more!