Two Years of Vocal Recovery

Rate this topic

TurtleTeaParty

Hi, I used to be pretty decent at singing, until I joined a women's choir two years ago and got quite sick during the time I was in it. I thought it was just a cold or allergies, but then I started having to scoop off thick, white mucus like film from the inside of my throat every day or two so I could breath and was losing my voice easily, toward the tail end of being sick I couldn't speak for more than an hour a day, let alone sing. After a couple months I was no longer part of the choir, got over whatever illness I had and spent a few weeks unable to speak at all, but slowly got better. Then some things happened in my life and I developed PTSD, getting night terrors for weeks according to my friends who spent the night, and almost every morning I woke up absolutely unable to speak. This went on for a couple months, until the night terrors died down (at least I assume they did, no one was telling me I was screaming in my sleep).

It's been two years since I first developed PTSD and I still suffer from it and while I can speak for the most part, I cannot sing at all without experiencing pain and losing my voice for hours, if not days. Does anyone know if I can help myself recover or if this is permanent? Has anyone else gone through this or experienced anything similar?

No on is going to go through the same set of experiences or have the same reaction to a set of experiences. However, it sounds like you might need a therapist to deal with things that may affect you physically. And for that, absolutely none of us are qualified to advise or help. There is no magic singing technique to get you over PTSD. That takes the help of a professional.