Rate this topic

medcall

Hello everyone,

I cant thank you enough for your contributions on the forum , although I have to say that sometimes I try to stay away of collecting more information because I need to think easy and I am not that good to take advantage of the information.

I just posted a couple of times from what I can remember, and read the forum intermitently. I am not new to singing but you could say I am still a beginner ( it is very frustrating) . I started with SLS and other methods, and took lessons from a variety of teachers (some in the forum) . I could say that my main problem is that when I approach B and middle C  I kind of feel that I am going into the critical area and my body wants me to do something. For a while I tried to manipulate and narrow the sound while keeping the same intensity but the sound changed and I was not able to maintain compression and it became airy. I added twang and tried other approaches with not many consistent results.  From all I have understood and tried, I feel that if I can solve from middle C# to G my voice is going to reward myself , and I feel it, but I am doubtful of what approach to follow.

I have had teachers with a nice voice that advocate for a sooner bridging. Some of them have a light but energetic tone which reminds of a beatlesque, Tim Buckley, Thom Yorke type of voice, which I really like . I hear the mix voice and a pleasant tone in this coordination if done with equilibrium . In my voice it is not so stabile and when I try to put more energy it loses the stability and gets airy. I was told by some teachers, that , to get this light tone, first I have to stablish a more solid and strong middle voice, so the message was to kind of stretch the chest and maintain the coordination.

After going back and forth I pursued the more solid chest voice trying to cover more notes before bridging. I dont feel my voice is agile when doing this nor elastic. It kind of gets stuck and loses resonance. I mean I can bridge but with  useless tone.   I understand the message of pushing the voice  a little bit to awaken it but doing it focused it is hard. I think it is hard to tell how much air and energy to carry before the first bridge and the approaching area.

I will use some examples, of two great singers and teachers from the forum ,even though I can be completely wrong since I am not an expert , but a passionated obsessed with voice because I need to be able to perform my songs:

When I hear Daniel Formica, for example,  I hear a focused tone no matter how much energy carries but without the problem of carrying weight to the first bridge. If I do this it is on the verge of being too light for crossing the bridge, but in his voice sounds very alligned  . I can also hear the tone being forward which for me helps me more than if I let it fall back . I would like to have this texture, but I recognise that if I many times I  pull back a bit when I approach that area, and my voice shows the whiny SLS sound if wrong executed because I do not know how to face it. That is also part of the question. Do i get this whiny sound because of being to light?

If I hear Robert Lunte's voice, I hear a more boomy sound with more bottom end, and as far as I understand letting the resonance go to the back of the head while bridging.  In my voice that feeling I think it is preventing me from bridging  because I cant handle so much weight and singing becomes really hard . I know Robert does not have this problem, but I can't sing like this.  In my voice I feel the tongue retract  and  the resonance  goes to the back of the head which  gives me less resonance than the forward tone. If I put more energy to avoid the whiny SLSesque sound which my voice projects either gets like a muffled yell or sounds flat. 

I am  comparing  these two approachea  as an example of the two perspectives and how my voice reacts to them and I  am just talking about what I hear, not saying if that is what is really going on as a result of the technique but my interpretation.

So one more focused and light edged and the other one boomier with more bottom end with a darker resonance .

Question: Do I need a fuller chest in order to later get a more coordinated passagio, and if so , how do you train that way ? Is it twang what can give me that or should be raw chest in a more classical way? I am very confused. I think I should stablish a lower voice that with not much changing allows me to bridge easier without becoming airy.
I do not know if I got to say what I wanted, I am not an English native speaker.   I pursue a more  lighter voice with sharpness in the passagio area and the feeling of a one voice for style and for easyness.

Thanks a lot in advance.

• Administrator

as far as I understand letting the resonance go to the back of the head while bridging.

This totally depends on what acoustic mode (singing vowel) I am maintaining through the bridge. If your resonance feels like it is sitting in a backward position, that is fine, provided that you are doing it properly, however... it would also indicate that you are probably bridging through a curbing vowel. Change the vowel to a forward resonant, Edging vowel, and that resonant placement sensation will move more to the hard palette. This sensation you are describing has nothing to do with my program or how I sing or anything like that... it has to do with what YOU are doing, specifically, what vowel you are using. My guess is that it is very "uh"-ish through your bridge... and because you perceive that to be problematic to you, there are other elements to your phonation package / that are not set up right. We would have to hear it... and that would need to be posted into the "Review My Singing" forum as a consultation service. Or you can train with me and I can help you to fix the problem.

In my voice that feeling I think it is preventing me from bridging  because I cant handle so much weight and singing becomes really hard .

Something is indeed preventing you from bridging, but it is not the backward resonant position you see and hear me demonstrating. You are not doing something right. If it is too heavy, your larynx is probably too low, in fact that is what it sounds like and your embouchure is likely not set up right and there could be compression issues and vowel issues on top of all that. If we can't hear you and you don't get in front of me, I can't fix it. My guess is, you are dumping your larynx, because that adds a too much weight through the bridge and you are likely failing to blend in any palette resonance to assist the formant from shifting, which in turn, ads even more weight. Your larynx is too low and your formant is not tuned properly, would be my prediction. Lets hear it... ? It only gets "really hard" if you are not doing it right.

I know Robert does not have this problem, but I can't sing like this.

Are you talking about singing, or are you talking about doing sirens on open vowels? Because if you are talking about sirens on open vowels, its not singing and there again... your larynx is probably too low and your formant is not tuned properly. If you are actually singing, you wouldn't be able to get anywhere if your larynx is too low and your formant is not tuned properly. To SING well, you have to have palette resonance, narrowing helps a lot and you have to train the articulators to learn how to phonate consonants, narrowed vowels and diphthongs. Once you start singing, we would actually be working a lot more on edging vowels. A lot of my training these days focuses on strengthening through belts and forward resonant, edging vowels... especially for students that are singing songs. If your just doing sirens and bridging, then curbing vowels can be helpful.. provided your not dumping the larynx.

In my voice I feel the tongue retract  and  the resonance  goes to the back of the head which  gives me less resonance than the forward tone.

Retracting your tongue is a common problem students have and it has nothing to do with the vowels or TVS acoustic modes you may be choosing to train with. If however, you were dumping your larynx, that could contribute to the problem. But tongue retraction is just a bad habit that has to be broken by YOU, not by anyone's training program or vowels. Are you training in front of a mirror like the "4Pillars" specifically instructed you to, so you can see your embouchure and tongue? If not, then it will be hard to break this habit.

If I put more energy to avoid the whiny SLSesque sound which my voice projects either gets like a muffled yell or sounds flat. 

It is not clear what you mean by this... but again, you probably have several things going on that need to be fixed.

You need to me or us to be able to hear what your doing... and that is a "lesson"... Im am moving this topic to "Review My Singing" in anticipation to you pasting in a sample for review.