Brendon Urie takes vocal lessons

Rate this topic

Jarom

Is there any song / band you base your vocal style on? 
Brendon: I don't think i've ever tried to sound like anybody. Before I was in the band and even when I've been a the band I tried to take vocal lessons because I wasn't a singer. At the time I was doing backing vocals but I thought I might as well take vocal lessons. When I used to sing it was really nasally and sounded like shit. I guess I always used to sing along to the Beatles and stuff like that but I never tried to sound like that. I still do a few of the vocal lessons each night before I go on. I do a little buzz thing with my lips which is kind of  weird. 

I have heard of many famous singers doing lip trills but not a lot that do resonate tracking Good job Brendon!

He doesn't "think" he ever tried to sound like anybody.

But he was infused and influenced by other singers if not consciously then unconsciously.

Yea PATD started out as a blink 182 cover band. He probably tried to sound like Tom or Mark. When I first started singing I sang the heck out of Greenday and did everything in my power to sound like Billie Joe. I have strayed away from that path but I have still been influenced by him. 

Yes, and what you will find if you try to go after a bunch of different voices and timbres and textures and work on those voices you build up coordinations and strength that takes you on to other voices with less of a learning curve.