Bon Jovi - What Do You Got?

Hello everybody,

I have been in love-hate relationships with my singing for a couple of years now. Please critique.

Cheers,

#NA 

• Administrator

Hi NA, welcome to TMV World Forum,

1). You have an accent, what is your native language?

2). You would benefit a lot by getting your voice to resonate more in the mask and upper hard palette. 

3). Is this the right octave for this song? I think Bon Jovi sings this an octave higher... I think you should work on singing this song an octave higher, where the original artist sings it. It will give it more interest and excitement from the song. You will also learn more about your voice if you sing this at the proper octave.

4). Are you training and taking lessons? If you want to get better and do this seriously, take some training.

Thank you Robert. Actually I am not that new to the forum and I can see how it has matured and improved. Well done to you! Although I was kind of surprized that you need to pay now, but from another hand you do not have this feeling of guilt anymore. The one that you need to reply to somebodys post first and to do that you need to listen to awesome voices and think maybe its not a good idea to post anything at all. ) I do have an accent, my native language is Russian. I honestly do not take lessons since I have been to the talent show where I looked like a complete delusional idiot. But I ocasionally play the guitar and sing my own songs in my native tounge in a small musical theatre. Since its not in my native country the audience is not that demanding. I am also trying to write something in English, am I allowed to post more than one song for review?

• Administrator

Welcome back,

I was going to guess that you were Russian. Having worked with enough Russian students, I actually was able to recognize the accent in your singing... I'm kind of proud of that... lol!  Russian does not seem to be an easy language to sing in, do you agree?

Yes, we have to charge for the Reviews... the bottom line is, it is a consultation and it takes time to do it properly. I simply can't hand out free time and advise anymore. It was not doing anything but... draining all my time and energy. Giving free reviews did not result in people investing in training with me or anyone else. All it did was make people want to take more and expect more "free" stuff... There is a certain kind of person out there that will only take "free" and if you offer more free, they will take more free... Most of the time, we never even got a "thank you"... I'm not going to do that, so we had to kill the "free". :thumbsdown:

Me and the people that take the time to give reviews deserve better then that.... and at $5/mth, is it really that big of a deal?  If you can't spend $5 on professional advise to help you as a singer, then... forget it... singing in a serious way, is not for you.

So long as you stay on the $5/mth service, yes, you can post more reviews... but please be reasonable.. don't post 20 a week... lol...

Glad to have you here... :41:

Thank you agan Robert. It is not easy, I agree. What I noticed when we decided charging for tickets, for some reason people became more organized and do turn up when promised to so. ) I think its all for good for you too.

Here is my scratchbook, please take a look when you have a minute. 

• Administrator

Yep.

- This needs more compression, more amplification of your vocals tract and formant... twang a little harder.

- It is a little bit flat... watch the pitch. If you twang harder and amplify the brighter harmonics in your voice, a lot of that flat singing will be fixed. Also, make sure that you your embouchure has a lot of upper bit to it.

Hope this helps... 

One of my all time favorites. Never had the guts to try it as did not want to hear the answer to the question in the first line. :)

One more one - trying along with the guitar. Overdone on the video editor, tried to revert, took ages, pc crashed, no copy ...:wallbash:

• TMV World Legacy Member

The video version sounded better with less recording quality because your pitch was better. Perhaps because you were playing along with the guitar. The earlier "One," where you are singing with a backing track was off pitch, which makes me think you cannot hear yourself when singing with a backing track, which is a monitoring issue. Used to happen to me, too. Change what you can to better hear the music and yourself, simultaneously.

• Administrator

Video is cool.. why not?  Ya, video editing on PCs is a nightmare... need a Mac Book to edit videos without any headaches...

what is your question regarding this last embed NA?  I think it is a bit lazy sounding... you can compress your vocal folds more, amplify more and that will amplify the real, sound colors of your vocal tract. Lazy compression cheats you of the sound color of your voice really being heard. 

Are you training?

The video version sounded better with less recording quality because your pitch was better. Perhaps because you were playing along with the guitar. The earlier "One," where you are singing with a backing track was off pitch, which makes me think you cannot hear yourself when singing with a backing track, which is a monitoring issue. Used to happen to me, too. Change what you can to better hear the music and yourself, simultaneously.

Thank you ronws. Thats actually very true. Its hard to sing with the headphones on when I am on my own with my thoughts ). Im trying to improve it, but it is a problem.

Video is cool.. why not?  Ya, video editing on PCs is a nightmare... need a Mac Book to edit videos without any headaches...

what is your question regarding this last embed NA?  I think it is a bit lazy sounding... you can compress your vocal folds more, amplify more and that will amplify the real, sound colors of your vocal tract. Lazy compression cheats you of the sound color of your voice really being heard. 

Are you training?

It has been a long journey from : thats just horrible to thats not singing to lazy compression. Thank you, I think Ive heard what I hoped to hear and will start the lessons again.