Rate this topic

Hi guys! I'm just curious if it's really possible to expand vocal range? and if possible, are there any ways to do it without hiring a vocal coach? 

Right now I can sing the songs of John Mayer, Howie Day and some songs of Ed Sheeran comfortably. 

But I would like to achieve a higher range like James Bay. I can sing this song

but I feel like I'm belting too much and I'm straining (throat tightening) then eventually I can feel that my voice is tired. I would like to sing it effortlessly and be comfortable in singing it. Can you help me guys?

Thanks!
Lance

PS: I'm a Male

Yes, you can learn to sing higher without a vocal coach by taking pieces of things here and there from youtube videos, books from the library, etc. The problem, though, is that it's a terrible idea. All those years of searching to find free information is a bigger waste of time. A simple week of lessons or training content for a good program would probably equal your years of searching the free stuff. Learning to sing without a coach or program is like trying to walk on a tightrope in the dark while it's raining and you have a broken leg. 

Yes, you can learn to sing higher without a vocal coach by taking pieces of things here and there from youtube videos, books from the library, etc. The problem, though, is that it's a terrible idea. All those years of searching to find free information is a bigger waste of time. A simple week of lessons or training content for a good program would probably equal your years of searching the free stuff. Learning to sing without a coach or program is like trying to walk on a tightrope in the dark while it's raining and you have a broken leg. 

Perfect response right here, to further prove his point I'd like to say that I started singing on my own four years ago (only help I had was looking up tips online and CVT book) and I haven't increased my vocal range whatsoever.  I started out straining on E4, and I'm still straining on E4.  I have only just started getting actual lessons recently and I'm undoing a lot of bad habits brought on by trying to "do it myself."  Good luck in your vocal practice, but please be smart and don't be afraid to get help early on!

Listen to the release he has on his oo vowel but its connected on Ab and F its not a tight oo but a heady sounding oo. He is mixing not belting on this song.. when he goes to 3;46 and says go or bro its more belt notice how the volume jumps.  i would practice singing this whole song on a small nuh(as in book). or a really heady oo vowel. stay in the pocket of this feeling the whole song, fight your body wanting to open and shout it. then you will start to get the right coordinations..