Practice routine higher register

Rate this topic

Hi

Recently i have been practicing on my higher register. Thats kind hard for me because im a baritone. I always make sure i breathe from the diaphram correctly. I think it sounds a little better then before but it still needs work.

Hi Simpan24, are these notes in your break area, or higher? I think you might be carrying to much weight or slamming your vocal folds together with to much compression because it sounds strained with little resonance. Additionally, you sound off-pitch between the 1st and final notes of the scale. You may find it easier practicing focusing on the resonance or buzz in your head. I am not a vocal coach, so I may be completely wrong. Cheers mate

I always make sure i breathe from the diaphram correctly.

This can only make it harder. Your vocal folds along with your false folds and your glottis regulate both the airflow and airpressure; your lungs (and thus diaphragmatic breathing) is important for the capacity of air and the consistency of flow.

You especially don't need so much airflow on strong, connected sounds, but you do need air pressure. This means that you don't need to take so much air for high notes in a connected setting. Singing in falsetto for instance, requires a lot of air, because the airflow is so high and so you lose air quickly.

I suggest you don't think about your diaphragmatic breathing. For now, only pay attention to keep your voice open:

• Retract your false vocal folds: practice inhaling and exhaling WITHOUT making any sound; you might notice that you're opening up your voice in order to stay silent. Then try to sing a scale with the same sensation.
  • Use a more simple scale: C-D-E-D-C and up and up. Use the "Mum-Mum" sound to keep it warm and round. Use the "Nay-Nay" sound to make it sharp and compressed.
  • Go back and forth between the two sounds to find a balance that could work.

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

It sounds like you are realy adding in way too much air to your high notes, which is not good at all.

And if that's the case, I think that Lip Rolls can be a great exercise for you to start practicing how to moderate your air flow on higher notes.