New one in progress. "Alone" by Heart

• TMV World Legacy Member

I really love this song and no one will ever sing is awesomely as Heart but here's what I have recorded thus far. That high chorus is something I still need a lot of work on to be able to keep on pitch. I'm going to make a point of doing breathing exercises before I attempt to sing anything. I always get inspired to record myself but rarely if ever warm up properly first which shows in the recordings.

Here's a portion of the song so far... https://files.me.com/muskysnax/6gry3o.mp3

"GIDDYUP!"

You must have a deal with Satan to hold pitch while closing on a consonant, like an "n". It sounded fine to me but if you felt the breath support wasn't there, or was too much, I understand. I often get excited and push too much air. For once, however, on my recording that you mixed for me, I did warm up with lip bubbles before getting into it. For some reason, even better than whining for twang, that helped me center resonance near the soft palate. And re-calibrates how I meter the air. That, and I make sure the air is cool. The heater dries out the air, which can frag my voice something nasty. Trust me, I have no illusion that I can offer you any advice. I only know what helps me or stops me. Your statements merely reminded me of my own work going on.

In my ears, you did justice to Anne's intent for this song.

Believe me Ron, I take advice from everyone here and I'm just one of many talented singers here in the forums. The vocal range of the chorus is in new territory for me and I'm still getting used to controlling it. Before the tonsils came out this year I couldn't possibly have sung this song. Now the damage from my surgery is slowly but surely healing and I have to learn very fine coordinations. I'll get there and all the amazing folks here are helping motivate me to do as good as I'm able.

"GIDDYUP!"

It's the fact that the chorus is in a range of high notes which for me are still a bit wobbly to control. I felt an immediate improvement though when I did some deep breathing and stretching of my ribcage etc between takes. I'm a newbie when it comes to technique and in time I'll try to work with a vocal coach to try and perfect my problem areas.

"GIDDYUP!"

I really love this song and no one will ever sing is awesomely as Heart but here's what I have recorded thus far. That high chorus is something I still need a lot of work on to be able to keep on pitch. I'm going to make a point of doing breathing exercises before I attempt to sing anything. I always get inspired to record myself but rarely if ever warm up properly first which shows in the recordings.

Here's a portion of the song so far... https://files.me.com/muskysnax/6gry3o.mp3

Nice job! I take it this recording is after doing the aforementioned exercises? If not you must be amazing when you do!

I did a few of them between takes but the exercises will really pay off when done on a regular basis. The reverb and echo on the posted vocal track masks the trouble spots very well but to me I felt I needed a lot more control to really nail the chorus. Then I won't need as much post production to hide stuff! ;)

"GIDDYUP!"

Ok, here's the finished song for you. I also ended up redoing the intro verses. Hope you dig it... https://files.me.com/muskysnax/9y7wnn.mp3

Here's an explanation of the exercise I've been doing to help get me through this tough vocal...

The particular exercise involves stretching your arms out to your sides and really trying to stretch your finger tips as far as possible. like you are trying to make them grow longer! At the same time, breath in deeply in a relaxed fashion. Relax your belly and let it expand as you do this. Don't be worried about keeping it tight and looking good! lol

After doing this exercise for a few minutes and then singing the same lines of your song you will feel that it is much more effortless than ever before. give it a try and be sure to breath in deeply and try not to let your rib cage contract as you exhale. Keep it expanded as much as you can without being uncomfortable.

"GIDDYUP!"

Man this is one of my favorite songs of all time. Ann Wilson...incredible voice.

Ive never tried to sing it, and wouldnt even bother, I just hear it and think "no way"....This is a great effort Snax, because I can only imagine how difficult this is to sing and really nail. And you nailed it brother. I was waiting for the big scream at that 2min mark and when it came in I was like....YEAH MAN!!! :D

I also hear a bit of Michael Kiske in your voice Snax, you a fan of him?

Great work once again. Id actually love to hear you keep practicing this song for a couple of months and then come back and record it again and see the difference between this version and the other...I think you would have it 100% spot on with a bit of practice and getting yourself used to those high notes you mentioned earlier.

Then, id send it to Ann and Nancy. Because I think they'd be blown away. Well done.

One thing I like about your singing, Snax, is that you care about the details, but still have a bit of a reckless attitude in the sound. A recipy for the perfect singer, really. You do little things like not start the vibrato until at just the right place and it's not too fast and not too slow. Sometimes you don't use vibrato but end a note with a slight dip. Sometimes you start a phrase with a bit of a vocal fry for effect. You sing sometimes clean and sometimes you use rasp - and a variety of rasps, sometimes slight and sometimes very heavy. You sing both soft and powerful. You pronounce the words very clearly and you seem to care about what you're singing. I could go on and on. I do realize that you'd like for this type of singing to be a bit easier for you and perhaps if I was picky and was your producer or recording engineer I'd ask you to redo a couple of words, but that could also actually detract a bit of humanity from the performance. I'm having somewhat similar problems myself. But you seem to be on the right track for sure. Btw. you wouldn't happen to have msn messenger?.

FYI, this is one of the clips on this site I just have to listen to more than once. It's that good. And actually, for the rest of you forum members, just know that so many of you are also extremely talented singers. I don't want to leave you out :) What a great forum, I must say.

Geez guys! Thanks again for the amazing kindness in your posts. Jimmy, I do like Michael Kiske's voice but only discovered him about a year ago. I'm very influenced by Rob Halford, Bruce Dickinson, Dio etc but also by Tom Jones, Engelbert, Elvis, etc.

Jonpall, you are quite right about me paying attention to the details. It makes all the difference in the world for me and sometimes it's just a very small difference in how I sang a particular line or even a single word that determines which version I'll choose for the final vocal. you all hear the finished result but I know how much effort and struggle went into getting each verse and chorus just the way I hear it my own mind.

A funny story on the high scream... I did that last night and did it about 25 different times in total until I had one I could use! I kept laughing right after it ended because I'd choke or my voice would crack. My poor girlfriend was upstairs listening to me screaming over and over and all she hears is that, not the mix of me and the backing tracks that I hear in my headphones! Good times! lol

"GIDDYUP!"

Here's the bare vocal track . There is still compression and de-essing etc but no reverb or effects. You can hear me much easier like this and on the chorus you can tell I'm really focused on trying to control my airflow. It's like I was trying to hold my breath and not waste any at all as I sang.

https://files.me.com/muskysnax/7ha9p5.mp3

"GIDDYUP!"

For me it is breath management. The verses are very soft and relaxed but the chorus is so powerful that you really need to be aware of how much pressure you are both storing and releasing so you don't strain. I used to be really bad for pulling chest so it's a constant struggle not to do it. With good placement and strong breath support it becomes so much easier to sing the high parts.

Picture the difference if you were to just yell "HEY!" as loud as possible and then if you were to yell "HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY" the same way. You would need to do things differently or your air would run out right? Same with singing a song like this. Not sure how helpful that was but hopefully you understand what I'm trying to convey.

Oh, and please call me Mike! Snax is my business name.

"GIDDYUP!"

Thanks joshual. You are correct in your observation about support. That's where I need to focus more you get a better balance of support and air flow etc. There's always room for improvement even if the finished mixed song is passable to the average listener.

"GIDDYUP!"

I think you are really a master. There's a brazilian famous singer called "Ovelha" that has a timbre very close to yours. But I'm not sure if he has a good technic like you have ;)

[url=http://marcusilva.blogspot.com]Blog[/url] ɸ [url=http://www.jamendo.com/br/artist/Marcus_Rasseli]Jamendo[/url]

You know what I think of your singing.

If there's one thing, I'd say that I liked the 1st version more (the chorus) because it sounded more "you" and unrestrained, like if you were paying

too much attention on breath etc on the 2nd one. I guess for you, less is actually more Mike. That does not take away from both of these

awesome performances, your abilities are unquestionable.

More please!

Thanos