How to stop speaking so HEAVY

Rate this topic

JackCee

Hi guys, I recently did a virtual job interview to record myself answering questions. That's when I realized my speaking voice is extremely carrying tension and heavy, when I zoom in I can see veins popping out of my neck. I cannot speak for 1 hour continuously without my throat feeling tired and worn out even turning breathy. I have tried many things; sirens, scales, slides, humming, tongue trills, straws, etc. Nothing seems to work because when speaking that bad throaty habit comes back, what should I do? I am considering going to a speech therapist.

I have the same problem ..... The sound is in my throat and I speak Low, about G2. But I do have an idea of what to do. Sing/Speak ............. Resonance in the Mask and a higher tone....... You need to use support when speaking also.

Most of the time when people speak they think they are relaxed and you do not need technique strategies..... You end up either using to much wind or using some sort of vocal fry instread of getting a solid but soft closure of the vocal folds.

the things that i do to help myself as well as others for this is practice doing really relaxed yawn sighs not to high but starting very light and sighing down into chest but never touching with the throat.. take 10 min to find this really gentle hhhhhhuuuuuhhh not singing just sighing once you find the feelin floating start higher and higher it will warm up your voice very well and keep you out of the throat and grabbing with the extrinsic muscles that are making you tight. lip rolls sighing, using the straw all help but try this first.

the things that i do to help myself as well as others for this is practice doing really relaxed yawn sighs not to high but starting very light and sighing down into chest but never touching with the throat.. take 10 min to find this really gentle hhhhhhuuuuuhhh not singing just sighing once you find the feelin floating start higher and higher it will warm up your voice very well and keep you out of the throat and grabbing with the extrinsic muscles that are making you tight. lip rolls sighing, using the straw all help but try this first.

I'm big on yawn sighs. When I have pain my reflex is to want to tense up and press. It can help. Descending from a light pitch down is very good too, although most yawning isn't upward in pitch. :4:

Also, take this coordination and do little silky laughs. Ha, ha, ha. They can be done silently too.

Great advice, Daniel.  Generalized into a principle... We warm up to speak, much like we do to sing.

Jack,

I'm another with this same problem..it's a "New Yawk" thing ...LOL!!

One thing I do (again mental programming) is force myself to become very mentally aware before I speak to get the voice to intentionally (hopefully it will become automatic) go to same place it goes to for the "hung/ng" placement. I try to speak into that narrow "ng" spot which gives the voice a little buzz and lifts it up and off the folds.

Speak in thin fold. But I dunno what this would be in your term guys. I am familiar with Estill and vocal process. I sing too heavy, and would like to lighten up my voice, and practising in thin fold has helped me a lot.

But everyone is different and I am sure an certified and experienced vocal coach can help you quicker.