Temple Of The King Cover :)

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi guys,,, Long time no see...

Here is a cover of a Rainbow classic...

It was impromptu recording..just plugged the mic and tryed.. That A4 is still so hard for me but i think overall i sing much better now..Range didnt really increase but quiality in general i think is better.. 

All tips appreciated!!  

p.s. comment on my tone and timbre a bit...im interested how you guys like my voice

p.s.2. ignore the backing vocals...i am tryig to get a hang of harmonies...i couldnt remove them later cuz i deleted raw vocals and had just the mix left..tough one at the end of first chorus i preety nifty xD

https://app.box.com/s/gym1ltkfbpkfhuo4ml8071wpe7yyqfcf

A.W.E.S.O.M.E. Tone and timbre Elvis!! Your voice sounds so pro that I wish I could sound like that when I grow up! ;-)

:beerbang:

wow that means so much to me!!!

Any tips to improve, any parts that were iffy?

wow that means so much to me!!!

Any tips to improve, any parts that were iffy?

Elvis, I thought it was really good, I have no idea of how to improve it, unless by practice. There was one moment I can remember that you sounded a bit strained on a high note belt. I would have to go back and listen the song again to check the time. Cheers

Elvis, I thought it was really good, I have no idea of how to improve it, unless by practice. There was one moment I can remember that you sounded a bit strained on a high note belt. I would have to go back and listen the song again to check the time. Cheers

yea that A4 in the end...that note is crazy for me...sometimes it just comes out and sometimes its impossible.. G#, no problem...but A4 is like a brick wall

Thanks bro :)

I quite liked it. I wouldn't worry about whether you just did it quickly. In fact, don't mention that. It is a chance for others to say you could have done better by recording more takes. In my opinion, you either have the song locked in or you don't. It doesn't matter if it took one take or twenty. We only hear the one file. 

I dig it. It kind of has a grunge quality to me a bit. I heard the high note there go flat and then creep up in tune. It was probably a mistake but I prefer rock n roll like that, hanging on by the skin of your teeth.

If you want to get rid of the brick wall you would want to go back to training/strengthening head voice or doing more vowel mods. Your folds will hit the brick wall if either the vowel or the closure level doesn't support it.

The thing is it sounds good, sounds dirty, but not too dirty. Sounds a bit raw, not too rough. Depending on what you're going for genre wise it works aesthetically. Slapback was a bit interesting, but it's going to depend on you and your audience.

Do you want to be a dirty rock n roll singer? It still sells to this day with post grunge acts and all that to the right audience. Or do you want to be a more quasi operatic kind of singer? Cause people who are into that might find it a bit too rough with a more stable bridge and less strain. Would you like to do both? Or would you like to do your own thing, work on your own "Elvis" genre (not that Elvis), right? 

In the long run if folks like Dan are correct then getting rid of the brick wall will be better for your health. But in the meantime it's kind of what sounds cool, what compels you. Where do you want to go? Cause my honest opinion has been that you are likely ready for some dirty rock n roll if you could write songs or form a band. You'd have a whole life time to become Pavarotti or Dio or whoever insert 'super polished guy', but your youth ticks away steadily.

Meanwhile, please don't misunderstand me, I'd rather listen to your voice or your art any day, (not a fan of their their songwriting), but Chad Kroeger sells a ton of albums and the people buying it couldn't care much less that he isn't Dio or Pavorotti or whatever super vocalist you want to compare to. So figure out what you want to do. Stepping out the door today, I would wager you have 'a shot' as much as the rock guy, but a lot of it would boil down to charisma, songwriting, life circumstances (you don't exactly live in the center of the music industry).

So just think about what you want out of this. If you want to be a broadway, opera star, you aren't there yet. If you want to be an a metal band, it might depend on the kind (Metallica maybe so, Symphony X maybe not). A gutter punk band? Might already be too good. Heh. You'll reach a point where you have competence for certain things.

I'm not saying stop training but if you got your youth and health. The best advice I've got is to try to get out there and make things happen if your life circumstances allow it. Do stuff (perform, get in a band, write songs, network). Don't just train. I can sing a comfortable A4, and bridge fine in that area. But I can testify it doesn't go anywhere by itself and I doubt I'd sound much better singing the song.

What have you been working on Elvis?

bassically singing ina shower heheh,,,life is kinda hectic so i dont really "practice" pre se, but i do sing as much as i can :)

Hey man,

Most of it is sounding really good, very good approach, you got the phrasing down, the dynamics are good, a bit of care on the key spots, "searching, feeling, etc.", be extra careful to make sure that you time that exactly the same on all the words, and use the same divisions: listen to the first time you do "Searching, Seeking". You will notice that on searching you use a constant flow, almost sliding into the notes, on seeking you made the division more pronounced, like ssseeeUHrching, SEE EE Kehn. In my opinion, it would work much better if you kept both on the "slide" feel, think that the words should sound like a moan, if you listen to Dio you will notice he keeps it quite like that, then on one of them later on you break it and go for the stacatto idea you used here, but just one.

Also, observe that on the low range your voice is very ballanced, its relaxed but its open, has brightness, but as you ascend for the notes that are a bit higher, you lose the brightness and round it too much, do you notice that? To avoid doing too much when you sing, I would try singing the higher parts lower in pitch, and just exagerating the brightness AND the roundness to see how it feels like, then do it on the right pitch.

Hope it helps but I really like it, it seems like a simple song but its not easy to deliver this, the interpretation is killer.

• Administrator

Elvis, I gave this another listen... I apologize I have not had a lot of time lately, dealing with the new "Pillar4" release ... but...

... but at 2:18, I think you are aware that "King"! is flat... really flat.  I wanted to duck in here quickly and give you some help with that. It is not flat because you have pitch recognition issues... obviously, it is a combination of physiology and acoustics not lined up for you... which I suspect at this point, you are aware of.

Look... your recording seems to suggest that you are neglecting the formant shift that needs to happen at A4 for men. With the level of experience and understanding you now have as my student and a member of this forum, I am surprised that you did not tune and balance that note properly? I'm giving you the "tough love" here... you did great, it sounds cool, but for that note... 

Brother, you need to open the palette and let the formant shift at A4 like that. You have no other choice! That "bulky" flat "King"! your singing is a classic example of failure to shift the formant, because of a failure to tune the singing vowel properly...

Ok, Ill stop pounding on you... lets fix it.

Training Solution:

1). Clean up the note and figure out the acoustics and physiology that needs to be configured:

Melodic 5h Sirens:

D&R onsets from D4 to A4.  (Onset + "pull") to the A4. 

When you get to the A4 in your siren, you need to work on tuning in more ae/a ("cat") to your overall formant tuning. Not 100% "a", but the final formant tuning would be a simultaneous color chemistry of eh/a (edging vowels = hard palette = bright harmonics) & uh or ou (curbing vowels = back resonance = warm harmonics). Keep your larynx anchored so you don't get quacky and loose TA engagement... but at the same time, shift the resonance to the hard palette while shading in a PINCH, (not too much)... of ae/"a" (cat).

Then... 

2). Practice A&R onsets directly into the A4 (no sirens, straight in) with the vowel for the lyric, to train the body to execute the note straight in, without siring,... into the proper singing vowel / formant.

Like this:

https://thevocaliststudio.app.box.com/s/yq2w70pcwzpy4l440glnuev04gntwqrn

This enables you to get closer to the actual execution of the lyric. You will notice that I am actually onsetting into the lyric "King"!. Notice that the vowel is not an i/ee... because this is not speaking. The vowel is a rough blend of "eh/a/uh"... that is one of the characteristics that identify it as a singing formant, instead of a language vowel.

If you are studying the benefits of the A&R, you will know that its biggest benefit is that it helps strengthen TA musculature and raises the closed quotient of the vocal folds, giving you more "chest voice" color.

3). The final step would be to work it into the song and sing it with the other lyrics before and after... 

So to fix this, you have to:

- Understand and appreciate what is going on at A4, which is a unique challenge for singers.

- Understand and appreciate that it will require a retuning of the formant and a more dominant engagement of the TA muscle. And you have to know what that means. 

- Have the training techniques and routine/s that will enable you to trouble shoot the problem, specifically, configure your physiology and acoustics into the right position to make it work... if you know the TVS Onsets and how to use them, you have the techniques to explore, trouble shoot and get your voice to respond properly to fix it.

Hope this helps.