WHAT IS VOCAL TWANG?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Vocal Twang and singing nasal are the same thing.

2. 2. I understand what vocal twang is and how it helps singers.

• Administrator

Vocal Twang is a term that refers to a physical configuration for the singing voice that is characterized by tilt of the thyroid cartilage, compression on the vocal folds and an amplification of the voice. This "vocal mode" is ESSENTIAL for great singing. It is the most important physical setup that a singer needs to train to develop to become a great singer. Vocal Twang explanations, techniques and training are all provided in The TVS training program, "The Four Pillars of Singing". www.TheFourPillarsofSinging.com.

WHAT IS VOCAL TWANG?

Maybe I am the first one that voted. At first,  I thought twang was nasality. But it is not, though it can be a stepping stone to get there. Twang is a configuration with or without nasality. It also sets up both a resonating space and a structural set-up that helps fuller adduction to create notes that are full and strong, strong as you (in general) may need them.

I understood TWANG more after learning and singing "Train to Birmingham" (Cody Canada version). The way he sings is with a Bright, Edgy sound .............. Not Nasal, But Bright and Full. It was kind of natural for me to get that sound. Moving from that sound to a more Bassy Full sound let me really hone in on what was happening with the voice and more specifically with the mechanics of Twang.

Really good video Rob, you are very confident and you deliver this very clear with great facts. Great stuff for beginners but also good for olderfoxes like me to hear this explained again :) liked the graphic with the tilting and narrowing of the funnel neart!

Vocal Twang is a term that refers to a physical configuration for the singing voice that is characterized by tilt of the thyroid cartilage, compression on the vocal folds and an amplification of the voice.........

I learned to tilt the thyroid by "whimpering like a dog". Is this also twang? Also, when I say meow like a cat I can do it with quiet a great amount of volume and I would have the same sensation as if I pretend to whimper like a dog.

I have never understood the sensation or feeling of the twang. I understand the sound, but when I try to make the sound my throat hurts. I can't laugh like a witch or sound like a duck. Cry like a baby, yeah that would works. Anything where I would think more of crying is what I think makes me find my twang.. somehow.... :) Or we all approach differently?

Great video! Very informative. If I could I would like to try a lesson with you in the future. Do you offer skype by any chance?

Witches Cackle, Meow, Wimpering .............. Never worked for me. Sure I could get the sound that was being talked about but it was in an artificial Nasal kind of way. Twang is not nasal. It is the folds coming together from an action that creates more closure and redirects the sound forward. It gives a brighter sound that resonates forward, but it is because of the position of the folds and a particular narrowing that creates a new space to resonante.

Now forget about all of that. Listen to this video of Train to Birmingham.

Sing this exactly like he does, Accent and all ...........  Even exagerate the accent.  R aa din on this Train......  Notice  what is happening between using a normal pronunciation of Riding and R-aa-din. Go back and forth between Riding and R-aa-din,   The feeling on the AA is twang. You can almost feel the vocal folds getting a stronger grip.  It has a bright strong sound but it is not nasal. All of that brightness is from the folds closing and the extra resonance pocket at the vocal folds.

Listen to the difference between the guy on stage and those in the audience. The ones in the audience are NOT using twang.

Thank you Robert for sharing this, I learned so much from this video !

Actually its funny that I can get this voice naturally when I try to just "talk like a duck" or "talk like a geek".  Yes, it sounds funny, maybe even annoying.. But once I do it and then return to my normal voice, it becomes amplified, the placement in which it comes out is much more forward like you say, and I have alot of more place to play with it in terms of volume, emotions conveyed, and control.

• Administrator

I learned to tilt the thyroid by "whimpering like a dog". Is this also twang? Also, when I say meow like a cat I can do it with quiet a great amount of volume and I would have the same sensation as if I pretend to whimper like a dog.

I have never understood the sensation or feeling of the twang. I understand the sound, but when I try to make the sound my throat hurts. I can't laugh like a witch or sound like a duck. Cry like a baby, yeah that would works. Anything where I would think more of crying is what I think makes me find my twang.. somehow.... :) Or we all approach differently?

Great video! Very informative. If I could I would like to try a lesson with you in the future. Do you offer skype by any chance?

Hello hummingbird,

Yes, I offer skype lessons... most of my students are skype students.  CLICK HERE >>> .