Singing while seated

Rate this topic

Tonyy

At times we may sing while commuting in a car, or seated playing the guitar or piano. To me, singing properly while sitting is much more difficult. I may just start to pinch and strain like crazy for no apparent reason (especially on higher notes). Obviously support is a bit out of alignment due to the positioning. Still I wonder if there are any tricks to improve the positioning so that singing would flow a bit more fluently. Or is attempting to sing heavy while seated a no-no?

Try to keep your back straight and do not slouch. Hard to remember when you have a guitar in your hands.  When it comes to support time, let your bottom sink into the chair a little bit. Maybe let one of your legs lift a little.

You can sing anyhow while you sit as well. If you're used to standing up, it might be a new mechanism for your body to now sing while sitting down.

Try to learn by sitting on the edge of the chair, (without falling off the chair:D) and like MDEW said, don't slouch. I am not sure about your higher notes. I would want to wait for someone more knowledgable to answer you on that one!

I sing while sitting. Sitting while driving my car, a Pontiac Vibe with a 5-speed standard and doing .80 Mach on the Rayburn Tollway.

That should scare anyone. Grandpa flying in the left hand lane while singing.

"I'm on the highway to Hell  ...."