Shall I Train Chest Voice to Improve Head Voice?

Rate this topic

Rosa

Training Chest Voice to Build Head Voice.  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Are you currently training vocal techniques that are designed to build your belt voice?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • I honestly don't know?
  2. 2. Do you understand the musculature that is required to belt in your head voice properly?

3. 3. Are you currently training your voice with a vocal training program?

Hello. :) I joined a choir, so my interest is in developing my head voice, which was totally abandoned (I was in a choir as a child). I saw Felipe's video on low notes and realized I was singing too often in my high notes now, so started singing some in my low notes but in Head Voice.

But do you think it would also be good for me to sing some in strong chest voice? My throat was totally underused until I started now in the choir.

I hope I was able to make the question clear. Tell me if I didn't. :)

I think you should practice head voice to improve head voice. Use your entire voice. 

My head voice was horrible, but I kept making a point to use it, and work it out. Now it's usable. Still more work to be done.

The only way something is going to get stronger is if you use it.

• Administrator

In a few more words... HELL YES!  But you have to understand what your working on in regards to the musculature and then you need to have the right techniques and content to do it... but heck yes. BUILD THAT TA MUSCLE & AND INCREASE YOUR CLOSED QUOTIENT! 

Thank you! I had this question in my mind because I had not read or seen in a video anything about it, and really had no idea what the answer would be from the experts. I guess this is something I'll have to start doing while driving! :D

Robert, I answered the questions in the poll. I was not practicing belt singing.

Thank you, VideoHere. I think I breathe relatively well in terms of normal songs, but true that for the choir Breathing will be the hardest part to ever do perfect since I am one of those who are supposed to be sometimes singing one AAAAHHH in F for a couple of minutes (or an eternity :D ). 

My throat starts hurting a bit when I try to sing in chest voice, and I don't mean belting, but just in what I think is chest voice, like this:

She is supposed to be a contralto, and I thought I should be able to chest sing this, but it is high for me. I have to sing it blended or something, but not plain chest.

Karen is singing in a mix. She only does the pure chest on the low notes. I think that this "Chest" vs "head" thing is one of the problems that men and women both share. The "Chest" needs a little "Head" in there. and "Head Voice" needs a little "Chest". It is all a Mix but coordinating things are not easy at first.

Yes... perhaps it is Chest mixed with falsetto? Anyhow, I can't do it all through, just some bits. :D

So can you tell me a woman chest singing?

The softness in Karens voice is from the "Head resonance".

Adele sings with a chesty sound.

Do you have a sample of your singing?  This would help to find out what sound you are after.

Thank you for your replies, MDEW. :) I am not half ready to share any of my singing. I sing in many different ways, but none of it is a final product. 

This is all so complex, MDEW... I've read Adele is a contralto too. To me she uses more Head (very chesty though) than Karen (or maybe what I mean is Karen's Head is softer and that's why I called it Falsetto). Anyhow, I hope you understand I am just sharing what comes to my mind as it is coming...

What do you think of Bonnie Tyler? Doesn't look total chest to me either.

I didn't know Martina. Pat, I do, and will go check on her songs some day. But today I've been listening to Adele paying attention, and like trying to imitate her. That has made me think that she is very original. She has something very personal in her sound and I haven't read anybody talking about it, but maybe it is something nasal? The only time I could say she is chest singing is at the beginning of the song "Hello", which is like musical speaking. That song and "Set fire to the rain" are completely different. For me it is very difficult the way she sings in "Set fire".

And it seems she is not easy to classify, because people are arguing about her being contralto or mezzo, and about her hurting her voice and being a bad example and having bad technique. From my inexperienced point of view, I can't think she has bad technique because I hear her singing in lots of different styles that look very difficult to me.

People arguing here: http://www.criticofmusic.com/2013/05/vocal-range-and-profile-adele.html

Hello:

Set fire to the rain:

Hmm in "Set fire" she starts with what it looks like speaking, but it is totally different to the one in "Hello". Way too high for me for sure to consider "speech".

I have to admit that that teacher knows nothing about how Adele is singing that song. And I do believe that IF someone is going to teach how to belt they should be able to do it. I do not mean that they should sound great singing, Just be able to produce the sound they are trying to teach. Singing is different from Producing a desired sound but the sound aesthetics should still be present.

VideoHere, I was trying to imitate her because that's my way to understand what she is doing. :D I like the video; find her comments interesting. The best part for me to take as practice is that LA LA  from chest to head. Better to start with just LA LA than "Hello from the other side".

That's a cool video, YouCanSingAnything! The woman in the tutorial acknowledges herself that this is not her style :) I think I am a belter myself, so I learn from her about the other parts.

MDEW, she doesn't know how Adele is singing that song? The truth is that Adele's voice is still quite a mystery to me, so I am not sure about any of this. The first part of the song is quite comfortable to my voice, but not the "Hello from the other side". That's high. I'd first have to get it right in a  low volume before attempting to shout it.

Edit: I've been listening to the song again, and the tutorial, and I am even more pro this lady's explanations than before. I think she explains very well which are the most difficult parts, and what it is that Adele does effortlessly and is not easy for many of us.

A curiosity. I've found a Spanglish version of the song (Karen Rodríguez)...she does it good in my opinion.

OK, now I am seeing there are lots of different versions in Spanish, with lots of singers, boys, duets... The song is sure famous. :D I am discovering now.

YouCanSingAnything, don't miss the last video I posted in the last page. I think you'll like it. I've read she studied Music in New York and sang "Maria" in a Musical, so she is not just a normal girl. Adele makes it look easy, and it looks chesty, but only the first part in "Hello" is chest. As for "Set fire to the rain" I still don't know if she is going chest or Head. That song is more impossible for me than this one and it looks so easy!

It says that video is forbidden in my country, but I could see it here: 

I was going to say "Yes, it must be chest", but truly, I am not yet sure if it is pure chest or blend. Of course, some parts are blend, we are referring to the beginning.

Look, in this one it has more of a blend feeling:

(I am not embedding the last videos because some are going to hate Adele). :D