Going beyond only practicing and actually performing

Rate this topic

L_Holmes

I first started singing in choir class in 8th grade, and I continued doing group choir throughout high school. I also occasionally did solos for choir or at church. But ever since I graduated high school, I have only performed once at a small recital for a singing class I was in, and even that was close to two years ago. I really enjoy performing, but for these past few years I've just been hyperfocused on technique.

Originally my line of thinking was, "I'll start performing seriously when I'm good enough," or, "when I get the opportunity". But lately I've been thinking, I'm just screwing myself over. If this is what I really want to do (which it is) I need to start doing it now instead of waiting for things to just magically happen.

The reason I came here is because I wanted to ask for suggestions on how to practice performance skills and find opportunities to perform for people, rather than just singing random phrases of songs and doing exercises in my car all the time. I've thought about making and recording covers of songs I like. I feel like it would be much more rewarding than just simply practicing all the time, and I could also post things I've recorded on here and get feedback. I'm just not sure where to start with it. I don't have any real recording equipment except for my phone, and though I have started playing guitar recently I'm not good at it yet.

But basically what I'm getting at is, I want to start doing something more with my singing now. I'm just not really sure what would be the best option for me at this point. Any advice would be appreciated.

What genre do you like to perform?  Find a band in town looking for a lead singer and audition for the spot. If you and the band are a good fit, practice, practice, practice and start gigging.  This for sure will help you hone your chops and fulfill your performing need. Have fun with it.

Steve

I first started singing in choir class in 8th grade, and I continued doing group choir throughout high school. I also occasionally did solos for choir or at church. But ever since I graduated high school, I have only performed once at a small recital for a singing class I was in, and even that was close to two years ago. I really enjoy performing, but for these past few years I've just been hyperfocused on technique.

Originally my line of thinking was, "I'll start performing seriously when I'm good enough," or, "when I get the opportunity". But lately I've been thinking, I'm just screwing myself over. If this is what I really want to do (which it is) I need to start doing it now instead of waiting for things to just magically happen.

The reason I came here is because I wanted to ask for suggestions on how to practice performance skills and find opportunities to perform for people, rather than just singing random phrases of songs and doing exercises in my car all the time. I've thought about making and recording covers of songs I like. I feel like it would be much more rewarding than just simply practicing all the time, and I could also post things I've recorded on here and get feedback. I'm just not sure where to start with it. I don't have any real recording equipment except for my phone, and though I have started playing guitar recently I'm not good at it yet.

But basically what I'm getting at is, I want to start doing something more with my singing now. I'm just not really sure what would be the best option for me at this point. Any advice would be appreciated.

I think the media has really screwed things up, as far as musical careers go, with the whole mindset that either things happen now or not at all.

There's nothing wrong with focusing on technique. That's how you ensure that you will get better, no matter what.

For one thing, I think you should start working on covers. Start looking at getting into production, so you can make your own demo tracks. Check out our Challenge sub-forum., where we do monthly challenges, wherein we choose difficult songs to sing, based around themes. That's one way for you to have a monthly music project to work on, and we're also working on trying to learn production there.

Maybe get a vocal coach. Want to develop a strong voice that allows you to demonstrate power, even at the highest parts of your range, while practicing from home? Get The Four Pillars system. The only system out there that has a comprehensive guide book, a large, expanding, library of video instructionals, and an active forum, which allows you to confirm anything you're unsure about, and track your progress.

You can consider trying out for a band, if you think that's what you want to do right now, but it's important to acknowledge this isn't a "now or never" type of thing. The better you get, the more options you will have.

I like metal and punk rock mainly. How do you go about searching for a band though?

Henry Rollins joined Black Flag and slept in the rental truck they used to tour with. Off the road, he slept in a tool shed. Point being, he got out there and did stuff, rather than waiting to be perfectly ready. Didn't make a dime until he started the Henry Rollins Group. Now, he makes more money writing books and he is a really good writer. And he does acting, too. He was awesome as a short-lived neo-nazi (playing totally against type) in the tv show, "Sons of Anarchy." He eventually meets the justice wrought by Jax. But I digress ...

Get out there and start singing.