Some more recordings for your critique.

Rate this topic

Hey Guys,

I haven't uploaded any clips of me in a while. Been working with Robert Lunte and Steven F so far and have definitely conquered my bridging issues. Now I just have to work on the actual singing of songs.

I wanted to post some stuff here so here they are. All recorded a cappella (due to my poor software capabilities).

1) (*auto edit*) you - Cee Lo Green: http://www.box.net/shared/7ypj2jmbu4

This is so popular right now so I thought I'd give it a go. It's a seriously cool song.

2) Big Guns - Skid Row: http://www.box.net/shared/1buz23xtvr

I seriously messed up the first line as I wasn't really ready. Was unusual doing this song without my mic + amp. Might have screwed it up a bit.

3) Whole Lotta Love - Led Zep: http://www.box.net/shared/ln4fg4i5kx

Old favourite.

Recorded on windows sound recorder (I seriously need to buy better software soon). As always be honest and harsh and stuff.

Outstanding tone. Great pitch. The timing on "Big Guns" felt funny but the timing on the other two was spot on. You sounded breathy, which may be just how you like to end notes. And a well done falsetto (or was that lightness in full headvoice?) in the first song. Aside from or regardless of breathy note endings, you sound as if you had good breath support in legatto melody runs.

Thank you for your compliment Ronws. Kinda messed up 'big guns' a lot looking back on it. I need to listen and practice that more.

I kinda try and sound breathy. Sort of like a Miljenko thing on the song 'We all die young' from the Rockstar film. Do you think I should try eliminating it from my voice?

I'm not sure what I'd define that bit as. It was potentially 'reinforced flasetto'. It didn't feel the same as my usual headvoice.

I'm very glad you liked it. Sorry about sucky recording quality. Anyone know any good software for recording voice on a budget?

Mike has some excellent software that he records and mixes on. In fact, he's mixed my last to recordings of "Rainbow in the Dark." You should hear the one he did today. Anyway, I can't remember just now what the name of the software is but it is great.

The breathy quality adds a personal spice. It's your style and I'm fine with that.

Thanks Ron. I use Logic Pro 9 plus some plugins that I have added that enable me to do what I do. Recording and mixing etc is a whole 'nother world besides the singing itself. It sounds on a CD like a singer just went in, sang the song a few times and picked the best version but that is so far from reality! Many times, an engineer will take single words and sometimes a single syllable from a phrase and edit it with the other best bits until a complete vocal is manufactured. It's not cheating really as long as the singer can really perform live as well. They just want to make the song sound as good as possible since it will be committed to disk and heard over and over for years to come.

That must take a hell of a lot of work! But in the end I guess it is worth it.

It sort of makes my recording capabilities (Windows Sound and a live (not studio) microphone) look primal, at best.

I'm kinda glad to hear you say that though. Often I'll listen back to my own recordings and think "I liked that bit". Then re-record "I didn't do that bit so well this time. But wow, listen to that bit!". So in a way, it gives me hope to know that that is what they do :)

That's the real fun of studio recording in a way...you can experiment and really get into the song knowing that it doesn't matter if you mess up. You can keep all the little magical moments and "stitch" them together into an incredible audio "quilt!"