I am confused about my range, registers... and other things

Rate this topic

DevilSauron

Well, that's it. 

With tires, you have wear indicators. A little nodule between the treads. When the outer surface of the main treads wear down to be even with that nodule, the tire needs to be replaced. It is called a wear indicator.

I know of nothing like that for the voice. And yes, a person misusing his voice can do it wrong for an hour or so for ten years maybe. How do you guarantee against singing wrong?

I get it, the desire to do better. I think I sing better now than I did in the past and I have been singing for just about 42 years and did not start thinking about proper technique until about until about 28 years ago. And it doesn't matter because you can still damage your voice, even after learning something new. It was also in the past few years, 2010 actually, that I injured my voice far worse than any other time and it was through being a total and complete moron and nearly loosing my voice twice.

I had caused myself to have partial laryngitis, partial loss of range and flexibility. After I got over being a blooming idiot barely bright enough to land feet in velcro shoes and have them fasten, I have not injured myself since then.

So, here's a big sign. If you wake up the next morning and cannot speak, figure out what you did the night before and then, here's the hard part, STOP IT.

Otherwise, the vision for my voice is at complete odds with others here but I have not damaged myself again.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, sorry for my long silence without any provided recording, but I had many work to do to school and other things. I am back though and I think I will be able to post some recording by the weekend. As for the teacher... I am still in the process of consulting it with the choir "leader", she is/was a vocal teacher or a consulatnt or something like that and I hope she will give me some tips and recommend someone. I've identified some problems I have (I'm not sure whether I already said that), for example I can access only chest voice (and falsetto) and I can't access head voice or mix at all, that's probably why my voice usually feels somewhat pushed at A4 and higher notes (and sometimes even at G4).