Vocal/Musical Accomplishments and Goals: 2015 to 2016!

Rate this topic

Gsoul82

You've probably already guessed what this could be about! The year is ending in a matter of days. A great time to reflect and look forward.

What have you been able to get done, this past year, and what are you looking forward to getting done by the time 2016 is wrapping up?

Accomplishments for me:

- Gained 2 more notes: A5, A#5

- Started practicing whistle register use, and made some progress. Been at it 3-4 weeks, and I can siren.

- Got enough of a handle on overlay distortion to where I can successfully pull it out, about 75% of the time that I want to.

- Started absorbing the influence I've been after since I started, about 4 years ago.

Learned to start listening better to myself, and pinpointed certain things I do, which cause me to mess up a little.

-Sometimes phonating on the wrong note

-Vibrato not being controlled and sometimes causing me to mess up pitch (tends to happen on the last word in a line of lyrics)

-Breath control

Goals:

- Continue working on range expansion, everyday, and start focusing more on the lower end.

- Develop a usable whistle register by end of 2016. Been using it everyday for the past month. I believe I can do that by this time next year.

- Learn to growl (already know how), and be able to do it consistently

- Make serious progress with the 4 Pillars system. I do things like resonant tracking and quacking on a daily basis now, and video exercise routines a few times a week, but I want to do more than that. I was quacking yesterday, and tried to turn it into a siren, going as high as I could. As I went through the head range, there was a bit of an amplification there, like Rob said, caused by compression. And this is one of the reasons I need to gain control of this.

- Pick back up piano, and get back up to speed with it.

That's it for me. How about everyone else?

I'd be happy if I could be bridging consistently, if even just on a light to medium light intensity by my birthday of next year. (Oct. 2016) Unfortunately I've spent so much time slamming my bottom notes as chesty and thick as possible and not using falsetto that it's tough heheh. :) 

Good luck to everyone in their goals for the new year.

My goal for 2015 is to record " House of the Rising Sun" and have Felipe respond "Sorry, Still no good man". Which is OK because I know how bad I sucked before. I still have a week to accomplish that.

My goal for 2016 is to survive. Which may be a harder goal than my goal for 2015 but I am not going to give up hope.

Merry Christmas everyone. Good cheer and much love to every one regardless of Race, Creed, Religion, Gender or Sexual preference. .......... Or Preferred Singing method...............................

• Administrator

My goals are to allocate more time to singing and writing and less time to product development... 2015 was a product development year, 2016 should be more fun... more marketing activities, getting my message out and singing. Making this site grow more and other offerings. 

I finally got over some writers block and wrote a song that I could stand behind recently. I wasn't sure if I had it in me anymore to write at all. 

I have quite a few goals for this year:

1. Try to finish songs even if I can't believe in them at the time. I have no way of knowing whether it is depression when I hate my own songs. If something gets done I can look back on it later and reflect.

2. Pick up piano and take it seriously. I kind of just bailed on the instrument. I think in the long run it's the best composition instrument I'll have.  Plus try to learn the foot pedal coordination to get microtonal bends on instruments.

3. Get my chops back on guitar, bass, drums, and so forth. I've been slacking and it shows when I try to write that I'm fumbling more.

4. Study poetry and songwriting conceptually and intellectually. I rely entirely on intuition and stumble more than anything on lyrics. I don't have a Bernie Taupin, so I need to do the work. 

5. Experiment with digitally modifying my voice as a composition technique to create pseudo string sections and 'new semi human instruments.'

Vocally I've been stronger than ever as far as being able to produce the timbre, pitch I intend to produce. It will only improve with regular practice. I think singing is the only thing I can do without full attention of any of the above. Sing in the shower, do dishes, while painting, etc. All of the other activities require very specific intent, belief that it is 'worth it' and a huge time and effort commitment.

I've been trying to convince myself that even if I can't tour or make a profession out of singing, I can still make 'art music.' It seems logical and reasonable, but it often doesn't ;feel' worth it which is the quandary. I make music for expression, and if it doesn't feel worth it, or even feels bad to express things. I don't even know what I'm expressing. So I have to beat that this year.

I didn't achieve my main musical goal for 2015 which was to develop and control distortion up high and record Black Dog.   I've made a lot of progress with distortion up high, but I got side tracked on another Journey project for a producer friend of mine.   I did complete transferring  all my  projects from Sonar to Logic Pro X -  this took me two years as I have a lot of projects.   So now I am completely on the Mac platform  which is fabulous. 

My musical goals for 2016 are to 1) complete the Black Dog project, and 2) write and produce two songs and videos for my two girls to sing.  

Hi all. I just started working on my singing...though I am 48 so I have "sang" for years and years but totally untrained.  Have played lead guitar for almost 28 years now.  I just started on the 4 Pillars. Naturally at the moment I am overwhelmed hehe.

I am clueless as to my actual capabilities and things like range etc, so all of that will have to be sussed out. I am pretty sure I have a nice big gap between my chest and head voices lol.

Goals:

1) Determine my current range(s). I assume I have 2 ranges since my chest and head voices are not yet connected...would this be correct?

2) Start a practice routine

3) Learn to bridge

4) Add vox to some of the 50 or so original "songs" on my hard drive

5) Continue to write originals in a more informed way once I learn what my voice capabilities are

On 12/25/2015 at 8:56 PM, gno said:

I didn't achieve my main musical goal for 2015 which was to develop and control distortion up high and record Black Dog.   I've made a lot of progress with distortion up high, but I got side tracked on another Journey project for a producer friend of mine.   I did complete transferring  all my  projects from Sonar to Logic Pro X -  this took me two years as I have a lot of projects.   So now I am completely on the Mac platform  which is fabulous. 

My musical goals for 2016 are to 1) complete the Black Dog project, and 2) write and produce two songs and videos for my two girls to sing.  

Geno, That's great to have the Journey.  I never have an easy time with Journey tunes of the few I do.