Tenor lowest notes

Rate this topic

t3i094ti2

Hi girls and guys, I'm new here. 

A little of history first... I always had a breathy tone, and tried to sing with that for the last 10 years. Well, it never worked, my voice wouldn't last one song. And even at that, it couldn't cut through and have agility. 
But I never gave up and searching google found that my problem was cord closure. Started doing exercises and everything changed.

Now, my question. It's clear my voice is tenor, it gets strong at C3 and can go high. Though its heavy and metallic.
The lowest note I can project is a Ab2. I would like to hit lower notes but it is very difficult and wont sound good.
Am I a underdoer? Since a lot of tenors can get lower than me, even Michael Jackson. 

Thanks and happy holidays.

PS.: I know that without recordings its difficult to avail anything... Just want to know your thoughts. 

yes, yes, and yes. At least one classical source, one of the first of this forum, in fact, pointed out that tenor, in the conceivable realm of noise from one end of the range to the other can go as low as E2, which is below Ab2. However, that does not mean that the tenor can convincingly sing a role with a lot of notes below C3. Just that he can make sounds down there.

I, for one, would like to hear Michael Jackson singing a song, with strength and volume, at notes below C3. I Have heard this statement before from others but I have actually not heard MJ singing that low. It would kind of be like hearing Rik Emmett from Triumph singing "Don Giovanni" by Mozart, in the father role. Not gonna happen but a neat idea, nevertheless ...

Anyway, in your searches, you probably ran across gug exercises. They are prevalent because they work in a number of circumstances because they highlight cord closure. Just as those who are slamming the folds are often helped with 'h' exercises to increase the aperture, a smidge.

I still haven't heard MJ sing anything low, in studio, on an album, or live on a tv show, from his earliest days with the Jackson 5 to his days as the King of Pop. Other than hearing a youtube video where he was supposed to be talking with Seth Riggs while under the influence of muscle relaxants, which will make any one sound draggy.

How about MJ singing something similar to "Couldn't get it right" by the Climax Blues Band/

Anyone?

Michael Jackson lightened his voice and used a heady placement in every conceivable way. So I remain agnostic about what the would have sounded like with his best Sinatra impression (wider vowels, firmer closure).

I think it was Liza Minnellie who said she called him up and he was yelling at his kids and his speaking voice outside the public eye was totally different from the one he presented to the public and was like "I caught you!" Lots of 3rd hand stories, like a voice teacher encouraging him to speak that way, so he could 'maintain his high voice.' 

On topic sing as low as you can for the given purpose. Some people give F2 as a baritone low note benchmark for choirs,  but I doubt most people labeled baritones could sing this note operatically without a microphone and be heard over an orchestra. With a mic it becomes more feasible. I wouldn't worry about whether you're a tenor or a baritone, just consider whether the timbre, volume, and expressive intent are applicable for the given purpose.

For me anything from E2 to G#2 are flavor notes. I wouldn't sing whole songs in this range, but they can work depending on the context of the music. My lowest completely modal note generally changes from time to time anyway averaging at F#2 after warm ups and generally frying/croaking doesn't seem to work for most intended purposes for me as it doesn't mesh very well in harmonies and can stand out from the rest of the voice.

It's an impossible question to answer because "tenor" means something different to everyone.

I believe a singers lowest notes are completely subjective to an individual's voice and thus should be answered on a case by case basis.

In general though, I'd say that most guys that aren't either abnormally high or low placed bottom out around E2 - A2.  I have an averagely placed speaking voice and I bottom at F#2 pretty consistently.  I know you can train mix fry technique and get an extension but I am assuming we are going by natural chest range.  

2 minutes ago, lucianob said:

Thanks for replies. 

Yeah, can mumble stuff bellow, till F# maybe... however its gonna sound unconnected. 

So I should learn/like to sing higher? Wish I was a baritone... lol

Twanging and the right vowel can help stabilize low range. You might gain a few notes here and there in your modal voice through technique or age, or you may have the opportunity to learn a half fry phonation.

But just sing what works and slowly work towards expansion using your whole voice. Let your technique happen rather than worrying about what your range will be in the future. Generally for all of us higher notes have increased much more than lower notes. Some people might have speech habits that are more limiting for low notes than others though.

You can experiment with frying, but take it easy, cause it's pretty easy to get a forced/pressed phonation if you use too much air it's something you've got to let out. Work on the whole voice, but the tortoise will win this race. You've got to take time to develop coordination that will work for you.