Jump to content

how to practice a song with a metronome?

Rate this topic


Benns
 Share

Recommended Posts

hey guys, 

How does one practice a song with a metronome? I have set the metronome BPM to the actual BPM of the song, but yet when i compare the actual track of the song, the beeps (metronome) are going at a much faster tempo than the tempo the guy is singing in. When i tried to sing the song with the metronome, it just wasn't working. 

 

Any suggestions, guys?

 

Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Benns said:

hey guys, 

How does one practice a song with a metronome? I have set the metronome BPM to the actual BPM of the song, but yet when i compare the actual track of the song, the beeps (metronome) are going at a much faster tempo than the tempo the guy is singing in. When i tried to sing the song with the metronome, it just wasn't working. 

 

Any suggestions, guys?

 

Thanks!

Okay, I will bite. So, how do you know the real BPM for a song? 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, YouCanSingAnything said:

Do you actually have an issue with rhythm? Do you have the sheet music for the song? I find that a metronome is mostly useful for picking apart very specific rhythms on a piece of sheet music. Like if I'm doing a musical theater gig or something and the director is on my ass for singing the dotted 8th note followed by a 32nd note like a dotted 8th note. You feel me??

A metronome is just a practice tool. Artists will often take liberties with tempo (as they should.) You can't always line it up perfect. The metronome is just a tool to help you figure out complicated parts of the song you can't seem to get without someone slapping you in the face with the time signature. One of my music theory teachers intentionally used the most obnoxious sound setting on the metronome for this reason. It was an asian woman saying "WUN. TOO. TREE. FOU." over and over.

Have you tried singing along with a good karaoke track?

The more obvious solution is to use the correct BPM or pick another song ;p

 

Yeah, i have been told that i have problems with rhythm and that i should try and sing verses with a metronome - just to get some feel of rhythm. Oh, so would you recommedn that i just change the metronome's BPM to a BPM that i can sing at? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

Yeah, i have been told that i have problems with rhythm and that i should try and sing verses with a metronome

Just open the song in "audacity" or similar and sing the song phrase per phrase: Listen to the original singer first then repeat the phrase. You can record yourself and compare if you want to. That way you will build better pitch, rythm and phrasing. Trust me it works.

Also when you're listening to music can you tap the beat? If not you need to learn that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Turn the metronome on to an easy and gradual tempo like 80 BPM, sing quarter notes on a staccato exercise like "buh" or "mum."  Then gradually subdivide the beat, move on to eighth notes, sixteenth notes, thirty second notes, etc.  You will internalize the pulse with consistent practice.

 If you don't know quarter note, eighth note, etc, you can learn very easily through youtube.  If my microphone wasn't broken I'd record something for you.  Good luck man. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Sexy Beast said:

Just open the song in "audacity" or similar and sing the song phrase per phrase: Listen to the original singer first then repeat the phrase. You can record yourself and compare if you want to. That way you will build better pitch, rythm and phrasing. Trust me it works.

Also when you're listening to music can you tap the beat? If not you need to learn that.

Thanks for the reply. Actually, i am already doing something like that tbh - just not using the audacity software to do it. I play a song in youtube and repeat a phrase, record etc.  Yeah, i occasionally tap my feet when listening to a song

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Jeremy Mohler said:

Turn the metronome on to an easy and gradual tempo like 80 BPM, sing quarter notes on a staccato exercise like "buh" or "mum."  Then gradually subdivide the beat, move on to eighth notes, sixteenth notes, thirty second notes, etc.  You will internalize the pulse with consistent practice.

 If you don't know quarter note, eighth note, etc, you can learn very easily through youtube.  If my microphone wasn't broken I'd record something for you.  Good luck man.

Thanks for the reply, dude. I will deifneintly take up your exercise. Quixk question, and forgive me if i sound like a newb, but how do i subdivide the beat using the metronome?  I understand how to do the exercise with quarter notes, but how do i go about singing the "buh" with sixteenth, eight and thrty second notes etc? 

I know this is something that is hard to explain via text but will it be something like; 

(eight note example)

beat/tick1 beat/tick 2 beat/tick 3 beat/ ticke 4

buh buh buh buh buh buh buh buh

Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Benns said:

Thanks for the reply, dude. I will deifneintly take up your exercise. Quixk question, and forgive me if i sound like a newb, but how do i subdivide the beat using the metronome?  I understand how to do the exercise with quarter notes, but how do i go about singing the "buh" with sixteenth, eight and thrty second notes etc? 

I know this is something that is hard to explain via text but will it be something like; 

(eight note example)

beat/tick1 beat/tick 2 beat/tick 3 beat/ ticke 4

buh buh buh buh buh buh buh buh

Thanks

16th notes means 4 notes per measure....or, 4 notes between each click. if you were counting it would just be 1-2-3-4 between each click "uh oh chongo, uh oh chongo" lol

32notes would be 8 notes per beat

triplets are 3 notes per beat....like singing "indigo, indigo, indigo" or some other 3 syllable word each beat

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrator
6 hours ago, MDEW said:

Forget the metronome, download a freeware drum kit. Boom, chicka, boom chicka is way better than Tick,Tick,Tick .......

Benns,

I agree with MDEW. Forget the metronome. You could purchase an inexpensive set of keyboards that would do the same..... It would also help you with practicing your "scales", etc.

See: http://www.themodernvocalistworld.com/topic/10408-foundation-building-routine-on-acoustic-guitar/#comment-103964

My Yamaha "boards" can do almost everything except to sprout wings and fly. But you don't need to expend that amount of $$$.

Hope this has helped....

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Benns said:

Thanks for the reply, dude. I will deifneintly take up your exercise. Quixk question, and forgive me if i sound like a newb, but how do i subdivide the beat using the metronome?  I understand how to do the exercise with quarter notes, but how do i go about singing the "buh" with sixteenth, eight and thrty second notes etc? 

I know this is something that is hard to explain via text but will it be something like; 

(eight note example)

beat/tick1 beat/tick 2 beat/tick 3 beat/ ticke 4

buh buh buh buh buh buh buh buh

Thanks

Man if my microphone was working I'd have an easy tutorial for you up in a heart beat but sadly I can't. :(  It's much easier to explain with sound than texts, all I can really do for you at the moment is send you a helpful video.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...