Help me find my Voice Type!

Rate this topic

ConnorAiden

Hi everyone,

Im Connor Aiden a 17 year old vocalist currently in training in London (Popular Performance Vocals) and I'm having a bit of trouble regarding my 'official' voice type. Although I have sang in classical styles I initially taught myself how to sing and mainly listen to female singers which has confused me about which octave I sing things in. I was also put in a choir as a tenor so have been reading treble clef and unknowingly singing an octave down the whole time. I thought I must be a baritone but I have a peculiar higher falsetto range:

Chest: G2-E4 (Strong, Belty as I get to D/E4)

Mixed: I am working on but seem to have no mixing traits currently

Falsetto: F4-F#5 (Breathy, Slightly Unclean) (can bring it down to B4)

If anyone has any information or knowledge to share I would be very grateful as It would clear a lot of problems up and get me on the right track vocally.

Thankyou! :)

The thing is voicetypes is aimed towards classical singing. It has ver little to do with range but rather something you should worry about when your above 25 and fully developed your technique.

now your like any other 17 year old a beginner singer who's voice hasn't settled yet. My range was exactly the same as your at that age.

ConnorAiden, this is my very inexperienced opinion: Continue in the Tenor section as long as you can use your falsetto and are not asked to sing perfectly. I say this because I think it can help you develop your falsetto and head voice, and then you can sing Baritone songs at home (we must practice all levels). Then, little by little, you might be able to find what is your most real range, which I guess should be where you have your most beautiful singing with a healthy throat.

2 hours ago, Jens said:

The thing is voicetypes is aimed towards classical singing. It has ver little to do with range but rather something you should worry about when your above 25 and fully developed your technique.

now your like any other 17 year old a beginner singer who's voice hasn't settled yet. My range was exactly the same as your at that age.

Thankyou for your advice Jens I appreciate you're reply, I will definitely begin focusing more on my technique then as opposed to putting myself in a box range wise :)

1 hour ago, Rosa said:

ConnorAiden, this is my very inexperienced opinion: Continue in the Tenor section as long as you can use your falsetto and are not asked to sing perfectly. I say this because I think it can help you develop your falsetto and head voice, and then you can sing Baritone songs at home (we must practice all levels). Then, little by little, you might be able to find what is your most real range, which I guess should be where you have your most beautiful singing with a healthy throat.

Thanks for your reply Rosa! I have heard similar advice in the past and definitely need to start adding more falsetto and transitioning exercises in my routine :D 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello ConnorAiden!

I definitely agree with Jens.  Right now you are just starting your singing journey.  The older you get and the more you master vocal function, your voice and fach will reveal itself to you.  In the meantime work on building a solid technique, breath support, engaging the body, feeling what the body does when you sing, and honing your musicianship skills.  By the time your voice grows and matures, all of these skills will only propel you to where you want to be vocally.  If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

All the best,

Phil

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2016 at 5:02 AM, ConnorAiden said:

Hi everyone,

Im Connor Aiden a 17 year old vocalist currently in training in London (Popular Performance Vocals) and I'm having a bit of trouble regarding my 'official' voice type. Although I have sang in classical styles I initially taught myself how to sing and mainly listen to female singers which has confused me about which octave I sing things in. I was also put in a choir as a tenor so have been reading treble clef and unknowingly singing an octave down the whole time. I thought I must be a baritone but I have a peculiar higher falsetto range:

Chest: G2-E4 (Strong, Belty as I get to D/E4)

Mixed: I am working on but seem to have no mixing traits currently

Falsetto: F4-F#5 (Breathy, Slightly Unclean) (can bring it down to B4)

If anyone has any information or knowledge to share I would be very grateful as It would clear a lot of problems up and get me on the right track vocally.

Thankyou! :)

Well, I must warn you that choral classifications are especially dangerous aside the Fach. In fact, it frequently happens that voices are miscategorized. Do you intend on singing classical oratorio and repertoire? This is the most important part of this conversation. If not, then vocal classification means very little. Many countertenors are naturally tenors or baritones, but consciously make the choice to train as a contralto, mezzo-soprano, or soprano.

Currently, your range stretches from baritone to contralto, classically speaking. If you want to pursue classical music, I can help you. However, you have options, and if that is the case, you have to determine how you personally want to train your voice.

The reason is this, you say you listen to female singers. Is this an indication that you want to countertenor? If so, then it is important to develop and reinforce your falsetto. If you want to train as a baritone or tenor, then the training will be entirely different.