Famous female singers I like

Rate this topic

Rosa

Time for the female singers! :D

I am starting with Barbra Streisand. Who are your favorite?

E3-D5

She talks of her singing as "a gift" in this interview. But she also says that her mother was a Soprano, and that makes me believe her voice must have been educated, even if she didn't realize it too much.

It's a pleasure to see Whitney Houston live. There are lots of videos with good quality sound. Both her and Barbra Streisand are said to be Mezzo Sopranos.

Bb3-Eb5

Even when weak she was amazing.

On one page someone said Martina is a "true Mezzo", but on High Octane (http://highoctanemusicnews.com/martina-mcbride-a-chat-with-musics-finest-voice-2/) they say:

"While debatable that her voice may be the result of divine creation, her high-octane soprano is one of the most beautiful and powerful in music."

She sounds Soprano to me. This is one artist that has not become famous here either. Maybe some day she will.

Nina Simone stands on top of all other female singers for me. Truly unique vocal style with an unmistakable timbre, dynamics, vibrato, and one of the most sincere and defiant voices I've ever heard. Every line she sings is with utter conviction and the inflection and timbre changes with her every emotion.

She's also one of the best pianist singer combinations we've had, with an incredible ability to combine the two. She was an incredible musician and not just a singer. The true package of an artist to aspire to for me.

The name "Heart" rang a bell for me, and I've found which song I know:

They sound very good.

Seems Ann is a Soprano, Lita a Mezzo, Nina a Contralto.

Lita looks like great fun, and the song is cheerful.

I didn't know Nina played the piano or wrote songs! Anyhow, maybe she started writing when older? I've checked and neither "My baby just cares for me" nor "Love or leave me" are hers.

Hmm the same happens with Ann Wilson. She writes songs, but "Alone" was written by others.

Heart started off in the early to mid 70s and the pretty much wrote all of their own stuff. Then they had a few albums in the late 70s to early 80s that didnt do as well. In the industry at that time, that was all it took and the record company started putting pressure on them to work with outside "hit writers."

To see how that worked, look at this list of songs written or co written by Desmond Child. Is there any question why people say "the songs on the radio all sound the same" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_written_by_Desmond_Child

One could say "I dont like those lame metal bands like Ratt and Alice Copper, I like real music like Michael Bolton and Ricky Martin." They dont realize they are listening to the same writer and maybe half the same production team

and that was way back then, now its a computer algorithm and a handful of producers doing 90% of what people hear

In Hearts case it worked pretty good though, I think they had 5 hits off that 1985 "Heart" album, I KNOW you heard this on the radio

And this is their most famous song from the 70s....sounds like a totally different band. But thats what I like about the female rockers, they can do all the styles and get away with it. The big difference to me is that the 70s song sounds like a BAND. You can hear that you have a drummer and guitar player who is contributing to the process and their parts are crucial to the sound. Its not just a songwriter sitting at a piano alone

and of course, from around 1976

Too many great songs...only scratching the surface. This is from about 1980

JonJon, I've been checking Heart's The Essentials, and I only know "You are the voice" and the one I said before "Alone". And now I am not even sure if it's some other cover I've heard, because Celine Dion sings "Alone".  Oh, wait, looks like "You're the voice" is someone else's, like "Tell it like it is" and "Unchained melody", which I also know, of course.

Another Contralto: Anita Baker.

I had her original tape of about 1989 and loved it.

Hey, and Anita Baker is also a song writer and wrote this one! :) (Edit: and two more...at first I only saw her: "The song was written by Baker, Skip Scarborough and Randy Holland.")

29 minutes ago, VideoHere said:

Seriously smoldering!  Notice her deep inhales and rich low notes.

I like her! :) I have that CD. Again, this is one I didn't really know physically (Edit: I've seen more pics of her now, and I can see she changes looks...I knew her with short dark hair, like in the CD, I guess :D ).

She is a Contralto, but do you know what happens with all these Contraltos? They sing very high. :D I have to use my head voice to sing like them, so I already sound very light singing this song. I don't remember if my voice was always this low or if I've cracked it. :D 

Trying to read about Toni Braxton's range, I went to another page, and Alison Moyet was mentioned...That's one song I can sing more or less like her (my voice is less dark). By the way, this Yazoo's LP we had at home. Maybe I lowered my voice trying to sing it? Haha don't think so...the thing is that she is young there, so I don't have to think I cracked my voice because of my age. My voice was the lowest at my girls' school. I probably have cracked it a bit, but well, not that much. :D

The thing is that those singers who sing with that dark voice have confused me sometimes, because they are impossible for me...if I match their timbre, I am in different notes; if I match their notes, it is very high. And they also have huge ranges.

Yazoo. Only You - F#3-D4

One of my favorite singers, ever. A fine and lovely woman from a little town on the northeast coast of Scotland.

I actually have this on VHS tape. It was from the Australia leg of the "Revenge" tour in 1987 and is one of my favorite songs from the Eurythmics.

When I first met my second and current wife, Brenda, and she came over to my place to visit, this was the first song I played for her, singing and plaing guitar, in December of 1993. We got married in April of 2000 and are still married.

ronws, I discovered this song of Annie Lennox some time ago and like it a lot.

loljoe, I've only known Amy Winehouse through the radio and liked her songs...they were different! This video is cute. :)

G3-C5

This track is vocal perfection for me. The passionate yelps, screams, grunts, cracks, the wailing, the maoning, legato and staccato phrasing. The intensely wild spirit, all of it, beyond words. Pure emotion to my ears. One of the most innovative female vocalists I've ever heard, probably top 5 'covers' I've ever heard, for sure. 

If there were more kindred spirits to her in general in singing, I'd listen to a lot more singing. 

Mariah Carey is another of my favorite. I've been reading it lately, some of you showed videos about it, and it is true some of these artists have such perfect voices in recordings that it is difficult to pair it live (Whitney is great for my taste at this). Anyhow, I want recordings to sound good, so it's ok for me. :D

C3-F5 (F5 appears as the highest note for contraltos, but really...first we need to be able to sing all those songs with E5 as highest before attempting this one. At least I am leaving this one for the future :) )

Some of the modern singers. On the radio station where I listen to music, they don't say the names of artists, it's just music, so it takes me long to get to know who they are. This is not the best video to appreciate her voice (Pink), but it's such a funny one :D I like her voice.

Another one (Anastacia). 

I've given up for now on stating their type of voice, but those interested can check http://www.divadevotee.com/p/female-vocal-range-list.html There is a fach for each of them at the top and long discussions where they give their different perspectives. :)

Roberta Flack has to be another one of my favourites. I love how reserved she is, while having no trouble belting it out. Also, her duet album with Donny Hathaway is a must-listen! Another great singer. (sorry, couldn't find a live version of this)

loljoe, that video above has all the look to be one of the fans :D

Just in case, here is another:

G3-A4

I couldn't find it for your song. There are many fans and many Leonard Cohen.

From wikipedia:

When Flack was 9, she started taking an interest in playing the piano,[5] and during her early teens, Flack so excelled at classical piano that Howard University awarded her a full music scholarship.[8] By age 15, she entered Howard University, making her one of the youngest students ever to enroll there. She eventually changed her major from piano to voice, and became an assistant conductor of the university choir. Her direction of a production of Aida received a standing ovation from the Howard University faculty. Flack is a member of Delta Sigma Theta sorority and was made an honorary member of Tau Beta Sigma by the Eta Delta Chapter at Howard University for her outstanding work in promoting music education.