What is this singer doing?

Rate this topic

tivotrix

Hi! Everyone. 1st time poster and long time lurker. haha. 1st I would like to thank everyone who contributes to making this forum a hub of singing info. But anyways, quick intros aside.

I would like to present a video:

My question is this: what is this singer doing? Is he pulling chest for most of this song? Or is he using full voice technique. I'm thinking that it's mostly his chest since their's so much weight in his tone. The way this guys has always mysitified me. Mind you I know enough not to imitate something like this with a bartitone voice and just chest pulling.

What do you guys think?

there's so much production on the voice (tripling the parts, studio effects etc.) that i would be better if you could post a live version of the song. To my ears i would not take this guy as an example, his technique seems not to be really good.

Sounds like chest to me. He's got a naturally lighter voice, and can probably take it higher without as much strain.

Echo that. I believe Cove...I think that's his name, has a light speaking voice as well and definitely a tenor. Also a LOT of studio polish...autotune and tons of layering. I've seen them live and he sounded horrible. May have just been a bad night for him though..

Yes! Thx staticsound for the live version and your explanation. I only thought he's pulling chest since he waivers for this high notes, ie lack of support/nervousness/a cold/smoking.

hyymmmm, it was "moi" (video here bob) that sent you that video and explanation.

b.t.w., thanks for turning me on to that band.