Another Judas Priest song from Snax

• TMV World Legacy Member

I really did a crap-assed version of this but decided to post it so that you can see that I also struggle from time to time! lol Sorry to ruin a perfectly good song! Ha,ha,ha! Seriously though, this song is a bitch to sing and it's got to be one of the worst things I've posted recently... https://files.me.com/muskysnax/6ftnpz.mp3

Least I'm honest! :P

"GIDDYUP!"

You'd sound great even if you tried not to. I won't mention any imperfections, as I know you know what they are

I'm sure if you spend a bit more time with it you'll nail it completely... at least we know you're human lol

Just don't stop posting songs - especially Priest ones

Thanos

The whole vocals is a imperfection! lol The sound that Halford has on the original is pretty unique and for me unfortunately, it is very elusive. Man the guy sure earned his nickname as the Metal God!

"GIDDYUP!"

Man the guy sure earned his nickname as the Metal God!

I hear ya. I was watching a vid of his with paul gilbert on youtube performing I don't need no doctor the other day... my jaw dropped on the floor.

A freak of nature in terms of voice... indescribable.

Keep it up Mike !

Holy crap, I never even knew that clip existed! THANK YOU for mentioning it. I'm watching it on youtube as I type this. To bad the audio quality wasn't the greatest but holy hell does Halford ever tear it up!!! This was during his solo years and his grunge look which I hated. lol

"GIDDYUP!"

Mike - that's a pretty difficult song to sing. Not much below B4 and a lot of sustained B4's that are sung well. You've got a great thick head voice. I remember you said you learned a really efficient way to sing high - glottal compression or something?

I can sing high but getting that unique raunch he used on this song is what I'm finding damn near impossible! He has such a range of tones and uses every one of them to maximum effect. As I've always said, I'm but a pale comparison to the real Metal God!!!

"GIDDYUP!"

This is not my favorite thing i've heard from you, but its not as bad as you make out.

cant really give you much criticism,cause its out of my league right now

You ever tried "Painkiller" or "the mower" ?

www.soundclick.com/chavie

Painkiller is on my list of songs I want to record for sure. He uses a pretty unique vocal rattle for that one too but I think I can manage it. For some reason Riding On The Wind is so tough to do well. Makes me want to work harder though! ;)

"GIDDYUP!"

Well I liked it, Mike! But perhaps you'd like to try using false fold distortion instead of rattle as your way to get rasp in this song? Just a suggestion. Also, on some notes it sounds like you try to darken your sound a bit too much (very little, though), which can take away some of the edge and attitude of your sound. I think many rock tenors in the past fell pray to that. They were constantly trying to have a "bigger and fatter" sound than the other singers. I think Freddy Mercury may have done this a bit in his latter years, especially live. But I think it's the wrong way to go. I'm just mentioning this because I know you're looking for improvements and not JUST praises :) Even though you deserve all the praises in the world. In any case, awesome singing as always, Mike. Cheers!

Is the tough part doing distortion with curb that high? During the break, where you let off the curb, you sounded totally like him. Anyway, this is a demanding song because it's all high.

I found that Rob Halford and Paul Gilbert clip:

. It's great! And here you can hear that he uses false fold distortion instead of rattle. The funny thing is that I'm pretty sure that his technique in this song (and in many other Judas Priest songs) is pretty much exactly the same as Axl Rose's. Especially on this clip. He sounds so much like Axl it's uncanny. Btw. I'm working on this technique a lot these days :)

Hey thanks so much for the suggestion! This particular distortion is actually (for me anyway) very close to the Brian Johnson AC/DC tone. With Brian Johnson's grit I found that I can do it up high more easily than my lower head notes which you'd think would be the opposite. I'm pretty content with my vocal progress since the tonsillectomy but I always strive to be able to do more. The suggestions and comments will definitely help me on that quest.

Regarding that Halford clip, I enhanced the audio using logic Pro 9 and now you can really hear Halford's piercing tone! That one scream he does just melts your face right off! lol

"GIDDYUP!"

I decided to sing the whole damn song over again and just give it everything I've got this time! I added a few screams that aren't in the original particularly the opening scream before the first verse. Hope this version sounds better than that first one. Please let me know!

https://files.me.com/muskysnax/22o3l3.mp3

By the way, I was inspired by Akaward today to really go for it. His recording of Halford's The Mower kicked ass!

EDIT: I just remixed this new version so the vocals blend better. Check it out if you already heard the one I posted before.

"GIDDYUP!"

NAILED IT ! The song is hammered on the wall and it's not coming down lol!

You got it Mike, that's what we were all expecting to hear from you !! This particular song is

a feat, not some regular tune - I wouldn't change a thing in your performance, it's just brilliant !!

I can hear a voice in the distance screaming ... it's the paaaaiiin..... the paiiiiinn .....