Marc Bolan/T. REX - Jeepster cover

• TMV World Legacy Member

It's good. It's also an excellent choice for progression into head voice. I was listening to the Slider album awhile back and was thinking of how Bolan was the antithesis of pulling chest. It's light, it's thin, and wispy, but it's not strained or pulled at all. It seems like a sound that can be built from with the right resonance and maybe a bit more closure, but not a huge amount.

It won't function very well by pressing, pulling, squeezing for more. All good sounds that we appreciate, but you aren't pulling chest anymore. :D

8 hours ago, ronws said:

You posted twice so we will like it more.

Haha damn, I didn't know I posted it twice sorry. :)

6 hours ago, KillerKu said:

It's good. It's also an excellent choice for progression into head voice. I was listening to the Slider album awhile back and was thinking of how Bolan was the antithesis of pulling chest. It's light, it's thin, and wispy, but it's not strained or pulled at all. It seems like a sound that can be built from with the right resonance and maybe a bit more closure, but not a huge amount.

It won't function very well by pressing, pulling, squeezing for more. All good sounds that we appreciate, but you aren't pulling chest anymore. :D

Man that's exactly what I was thinking, I was trying to come up with new songs/artists to work with to get me into a lighter function and just like you said I was like, "Ah Marc, the master of not pulling chest."  Thanks for listening everyone. :) 

cPOh14H.png

• Administrator
23 minutes ago, Jeremy Mohler said:

Haha damn, I didn't know I posted it twice sorry. :)

No longer posted twice.... I took care of that ! No need to apologize - it happens from time to time.

BTW - Nice job, Jeremy ;)

Adolph C. Namlik
Administrator ~ The Modern Vocalist World
Western N.Y.

Email : chief188@hughes.net
716~257~9606
"My Life's A Stage"

It was eerie how close that was to the original. Are you sure you are not related?

Seriously, you should do more of this stuff. Campy glam rock. In fact, I bet you could do a more original cover of "Come On feel the Noise" originally recorded by Slade, a similar band, but better than they did it and more honorable than that of Quiet Riot, though that song and "Metal Health" did make them the first Heavy Metal band to get to number one.

Bravo, Jeremy.

53 minutes ago, ronws said:

It was eerie how close that was to the original. Are you sure you are not related?

Seriously, you should do more of this stuff. Campy glam rock. In fact, I bet you could do a more original cover of "Come On feel the Noise" originally recorded by Slade, a similar band, but better than they did it and more honorable than that of Quiet Riot, though that song and "Metal Health" did make them the first Heavy Metal band to get to number one.

Bravo, Jeremy.

Thanks man, that means a lot!  Maybe he is a distant cousin haha.. I think it's the double track that makes it sound similar to the T. Rex style. :) I know the song you mention, but not sure if I've heard the original.  I just know the hair metal version. 

14 minutes ago, JonJon said:

Was this song head voice though?

For me it was just a light twangy chest, I'm not bridging at all here or anything.  If you are asking about the original song, I am not sure.  I'd imagine the same but only he would know hehe.  Thanks for listening.  

cPOh14H.png

Metal like neutral if I had to pick a tech term. The posture and position is basically the same M1/M2 so it bridges most seamlessly at usable volumes. The high scream and body of the song here not drastically different, just bridging:

• TMV World Member
22 hours ago, Jeremy Mohler said:

Thanks man, that means a lot!  Maybe he is a distant cousin haha.. I think it's the double track that makes it sound similar to the T. Rex style. :) I know the song you mention, but not sure if I've heard the original.  I just know the hair metal version. 

For me it was just a light twangy chest, I'm not bridging at all here or anything.  If you are asking about the original song, I am not sure.  I'd imagine the same but only he would know hehe.  Thanks for listening.  

Well I had seen where KillerKu had referred to you as a chest puller in another thread so I am just trying to get perspective on these terms and what the different sounds are etc. (im just learning all the terminology lol)

You got some other stuff posted where you are doing some strong chest pulling? or bridging?

btw, I never heard that particular T Rex song b4,but it immediately reminded me of the verse from this classic....same feel

Sounding good Jeremy, If you have been concerned with too much weight or intencity I think you are on the right track.

I have noticed that there are a few songs that I sing where the original singer is using more of a light "Almost" falsetto voice and I am singing a heavy chest but then again I have a slightly different "feeling" I want to express in the song. A heavier phonation to express a deeper feeling. As long as you have the means to make the choice and know why you are singing heavier or lighter then you are on the right track.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."