Training songs for strong A4

Rate this topic

JackCee

Hi guys I'm doing all my exercise daily and seeing improvement - I thought my limit in chest voice was G4 until I realized I've been singing the way my favorite artists sing. In r&b and pop a lot of the times A4, A#4 they break into falsetto so in my mind that's what is there. Whenever I've been able to sing A4 or A#4 in full strong voice it's when I imitate a powerful singer maybe they are singing loud AY or OH. Thanks to the forum, I now believe it is possible for baritone voice to sing high as well. What songs can I sing to develop a full strong A4 and A#4? I do not have any distortion in my voice and prefer something catchy, B4 and C5 is completely out of my reach for now - baby steps :P I am willing to try any song of any genre with clean strong singing.

How are you finding out the notes of a song? I am asking you because maybe you have some easy method I have not thought of. Up to now, I only know the notes of the songs we are singing in the choir.

This song looks to me that has the part of "there she GOES" around it. You tell me. :D 

Hmm or that above is lower and this one is?

I love this song.   Jackie Wilson.   This is in the Key of A and he hits that A4 several times. "Your LOVE is lifting" Love is A4.

Some of the higher notes may be M2 but most of the A4s are Full voice.

yyou

Yes, I thought we could do that, but looked like hard work... :) and wondered if Jackcee had some other method. I now compared the GOES in the first song with a song I know from the choir, but I am not sure.

MDEW the Jackie Wilson song is superb, the more power on A4 the better! Rosa I use sticky notes to label each note on my keyboard. Any songs with clean loud chesty A4s will help me to test my limits and change my views for singing. 

Just be aware that there are A4's in songs that you can sail on, and others depending on the lyrics and melody can be very challenging in a belt or power vocal.

Like Toto's "Africa" I always talked about..the A4's in that song are tough.

For the Jackie Wilson you want to be nicely warmed up and opened before you go near that one. I actually have to be moving in order to sing that song. 

A song very similar to this kind of phonation is this one. This will let you get used to sitting up in G4 and A4:

3 hours ago, MDEW said:

You can not go wrong with "Heard it through the Grapevine". Marvin does everything in this song. There are quite a few powerful A4s in this.

unless im hearing it wrong, seems like that version is in D#. Im not hearing any a4s in it.

Soundgarden's "Burden in my Hand" starts on the A4 which makes it a different kind of work out. The phrase descends in pitch as opposed to building up to it. It's really challenging. Both the Soundgarden track and the Animals track have Karaoke versions that are easy to find.

As far as the G#4 (also known as "the last note before all bets are off") ....I think Alice in Chains "Rooster" features that note pretty heavily. I'll think on it some more. One song I have been working with to strengthen that general area is Ray Charles' "Hard Times (No One Knows Better Than I)". The first two verses are an octave lower....soulful crooning.....then the sax/piano break....then he blasts the last 2 verses in the higher octave. Some of the most gut wrenching rhythm and blues you'll ever hear. Skip ahead to 1:40 to hear the unfettered mastery

5 hours ago, JonJon said:

unless im hearing it wrong, seems like that version is in D#. Im not hearing any a4s in it.

You are correct! this version is D# so it is A#4 not A4. The version that is usually played on the Radio is in D. "I know a MAN ain't supposed to cry". Man is A#4 ............ My Bad. but still if you can get this more the better for you.

6 hours ago, hobbit rock said:

Loud, chesty A4s?.....I would say this one is the holy grail

I had to give up on Animals, So I looked around and found this. Somehow this approach is working better for me.

Same key, just different style.

9 hours ago, hobbit rock said:

Yeah. That's a cool version. I only recently got hip to this band. Great guitar sound. A Les Paul with p-90s. Can't go wrong with that.

That and the long hair and bell bottoms. Gots to be groovy.

On 1/10/2016 at 9:06 PM, MDEW said:

I had to give up on Animals, So I looked around and found this. Somehow this approach is working better for me.

Same key, just different style.

M, why are you giving up?  

Go over this checklist:

Are you throughly opened and warmed up beforehand?

Is the palate nice and high and do you have space?

Are you mentally energized and desire to sing this with a lot of energy?

You gotta hit this one hard right out of the gate, low breath, (imagine you're dumping down the diaphragm and holding it down).

If the issue isn't range, I'd stay with it.

The vowels on the high notes have to tweaked till you feel them allowing you. When the high parts are sung and you're heading down, don't forget to keep the throat open as you descend.

Stay with it..each day just do sections

like:

My father..just practise singing sections...you want to try "muh fahtha" then tweak in a little "oh" and see how that feels and sounds....etc.

Yes, It's a bitch song, but don't give up..you'll get it.

25 minutes ago, VideoHere said:

You gotta hit this one hard right out of the gate, low breath, (imagine you're dumping down the diaphragm and holding it down).

This is exactly how you wont be able to do this song.  What you want to do is allow the breath in and at the same time you attack the phrase you sing on the stream of breath. dont hold down or dump as you will only get stuck and start a muscular action of tension throughout the body. Use the breath.Sing with it. Let the body breath naturally dont fight it feel it….

1 hour ago, VideoHere said:

M, why are you giving up?

Go over this checklist:

Are you throughly opened and warmed up beforehand?

Is the palate nice and high and do you have space?

Are you mentally energized and desire to sing this with a lot of energy?

If the issue isn't range, I'd stay with it.

The vowels on the high notes have to tweaked till you feel them allowing you. When the high parts are sung and you're heading down, don't forget to keep the throat open as you descend.

Stay with it..each day just do sections

like:

My father..just practise singing sections...you want to try "muh fahtha" then tweak in a little "oh" and see how that feels and sounds....etc.

Yes, It's a bitch song, but don't give up..you'll get it.

I am not totally giving up on Animals or this song. I should have said Giving up on Animals for the time being. What I am hearing with Eric is a More open sound  like " M-ah_ Th-ah W-ah-s.  I was too focussed on getting his sound instead of the pitch.

The Frijid Pink singer has a different approach that more matches my voice so I could keep the throat open with his sound.

Maybe psychological but watching how Frijid Pink Sings this made a difference. Now that I am able to make the note without closing down or the larynx rising I can tweak the tone. Before I was just landing in M2 with a high larynx and no way to stop it.

I wanted to try that song. I don't have House of the Rising Sun very memorized, so I was looking at a lyric sheet. I messed up the timing in a section so two takes, not quite live:

https://app.box.com/s/0zya1nkvg4l3oux0aq5w8rlz67pzu982

My voice isn't as dark as Burdon's, but A4 feels 'in the pocket' to me. I use a fair amount of support, not like herniating, but I do feel a downward expansion and overall expansion sensation in my ribs and back when singing like that. But at the same time I can swell into that timbre from my falsetto. 

I think a little bit of the weight needs to be shed for my voice by the time I reach an A4 to have it controlled and less strained. Some of the size comes from the vowels (Burdon uses really wide vowels), but when I tried it without supporting the tone it sounded smaller and was less comfortable. It may be the truth is somewhere in between Dan and Bob's approach for what Burden did on this particular song. Only he would know. :4:

4 hours ago, Danielformica said:

This is exactly how you wont be able to do this song.  What you want to do is allow the breath in and at the same time you attack the phrase you sing on the stream of breath. dont hold down or dump as you will only get stuck and start a muscular action of tension throughout the body. Use the breath.Sing with it. Let the body breath naturally dont fight it feel it….

I'm digging the Sam Cooke reference here.....

At one point I was going to make some sort of deal with myself where I would cut my hair really short and then not cut it again until I got this song down. So if my hair started looking stupid there would be that much more incentive to work on the song. These are the things I think about sometimes. There's more where that came from. They are constantly being generated.

Seriously though, this song and Carl Anderson's version of "Heaven on Their Minds" are the ones ....if I get those I will have arrived so to speak. Burdon was just such a beast of a vocalist back in the day......