R.I.P David Bowie

Rate this topic

Jeremy Mohler

I was thinking now: "Which is my favorite David Bowie's song?". I know many of his songs from the radio, the bars, but don't really know the songs with the lyrics and titles, like I know others. Well, I liked so much what happened...when I made the question, a song started playing in my mind! :) I have listened to several, and this one was among the first I listened to and didn't recognize it at first, because my music doesn't start till 1:16.

Let's dance

:( He's my favorite artist of all time. He wasn't content to repeat himself or conform to anything. Everything he made was from the heart, no matter how eccentric. He'd sing from so many different angles, and alter his voice to better express a characteristic or story telling element.

His songs were composed like paintings, with strong imagery of time, place, characters, emotions, fractures, completeness. I love so much of his music it's hard to pick favorites.  A lot of his best music for me were not radio releases. I have listened from Hunky Dory through Scary Monsters from start to finish probably hundreds of times. He was asked to pick his favorite songs to make an album and a lot of mine were on there:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISelect

So if people aren't acquainted with his work, I felt like these cuts represent some of the heights he achieved:

Beautiful post, Killer, I knew that it be especially bad news for you..  

I just can't believe he is gone, doesn't feel real to me.  Seems just out of nowhere honestly, I never heard he was sick or anything.  I was for sure it was a hoax at first, but sadly it was eventually confirmed. :/  Part of me still wants to believe it's a hoax, that or that he caught the next train to live out his days on the island Morrison and Elvis ran off to.  

Of all the singers in the forum, I would most liken Killer to Bowie. The sheer inventiveness of melody and expression. I mean that as a compliment. The unbreakable will to find your own expression and statement.

And I am thankful that we had David Bowie in the world for the music he gave us, the challenges to ourselves that he brought us, to even his comedic sense of acting. I will always remember in "Into the Night," which was mainly for actor Jeff Goldblum but he and a few other cameos dominated the scenes they had.

Much respect for him and here is one of my faves of his, a duet. I saw it when it first aired.