Head voice, what now?

Rate this topic

EisaCurry

So I finally got my head voice mode to pick up my 1st formant/pure oh vowel, but now I don't really know how to approach my singing from this point, in a tonal sense. When I sing, if I do a more modal approach I sound somewhat baritenor-ish but my voice sounds too bright to be that deep/chesty. If I go with a light approach, I don't sound like a normal tenor, but rather a very smooth boyish tenor. I was hoping that by developing this head voice mode with 1st formant connection, that I would figure out where my voice sits, but that's not the case. I'm betting on being a baritenor, but then again I always only heard baritenor who where more modal voice dominant and not head voice dominant.

It depends on how you define what it sounds like to you. That is, when you say that your voice sounds too bright to be deep and chesty, is that just your opinion or also someone else's? Sometimes, talking about singing is like dancing about architecture.

I wouldn't worry so much about "voice type" unless you are singing opera, in which case the opera coach you would have and the casting director of an opera would care about it.

What you need to know is if you sound good with the song or songs you are singing. Trust me, I used to worry about voice classifications, too. And it is effort better spent elsewhere.