How can I sing aggressively/My clean voice sounds gay

Rate this topic

SelloutHipster

Hi, I'm new on this forum. I'm 15 years old and I'm going through my vocal change so maybe that has something to do with my problems.

I have two main problems. The first one is my clean voice sounds really gay. When I talk I don't sound like this but when I sing (especially high notes) I do. The other problem is I'd like to sing aggressively, but I don't know how. I'd like to sing aggressively but without screaming, something like Jeremy McKinnon (vocalist of A Day to Remember) when he sings choruses, but I don't know which techniques I have to use (I don't actually know what the tags I've put on this topic really mean) or if my voice is able to do it (I think I have a high range but I'm not sure either).

As you can see I'm quite lost, still don't know if I have a good voice or a really bad one, maybe singing is just not my thing, who knows. However, I'd really appreciate it if someone could give me a solution to my problems. Thanks a lot.

PD: Sorry for my English.

You could always sing gay punk. hee hee

And you don't have to be gay to do it. Many is the performer who puts on a persona for the stage that is different from home life. Though, I wonder, what you mean by your voice sounding gay.

41 minutes ago, ronws said:

You could always sing gay punk. hee hee

And you don't have to be gay to do it. Many is the performer who puts on a persona for the stage that is different from home life. Though, I wonder, what you mean by your voice sounding gay.

I mean my accent sounds gay and the whole voice doesn't sound really... manly? Not that I have anything against gay people, I just don't like this kind of voice and I don't want to sound like this. I'm also not the kind of persona who would act different on stage. That's why I think the solution would be learn to sing aggressively, maybe I can get rid of this voice if I do so, problem is I don't know how.

SelloutHipster, I've read rowns say his voice gets confused as a woman's :D (he is not young like you so that's his real voice). In your case, being 15, your voice still has to change lots, so don't focus too much on that because you don't want to get in the end a voice as harsh as thunder. :)

I think the high notes always sound "feminine". Listen to singers in the style you are singing and you will see their high notes are similar to yours.

I am not familiar with "A hard day to remember" so I looked it up on youtube. What I found was "Screamo" type songs. I cannot help you with that ..... only to say that there are two styles ........... Fry scream and False fold Scream. .......... Each of those need support. If you are now going to ask what support is, there is a thread most likely on the first page of the Vocal technique section that has the answer, although it may be a bit confusing.

If you are 15 you still have developing to do with your vocal folds. Your voice will deepen a little over time.

1 hour ago, SelloutHipster said:

I mean my accent sounds gay and the whole voice doesn't sound really... manly? Not that I have anything against gay people, I just don't like this kind of voice and I don't want to sound like this. I'm also not the kind of persona who would act different on stage. That's why I think the solution would be learn to sing aggressively, maybe I can get rid of this voice if I do so, problem is I don't know how.

And I did not think you had a problem with gay people. I think you are just questioning the tonality that is in your voice, now. There are other people here who are better at singing aggressively. My form of aggressive is singing along with Heart and matching Ann Wilson, note for note. :headbang:

28 minutes ago, ronws said:

And I did not think you had a problem with gay people. I think you are just questioning the tonality that is in your voice, now. There are other people here who are better at singing aggressively. My form of aggressive is singing along with Heart and matching Ann Wilson, note for note. :headbang:

I would be intimidated by that.

Now if, SelloutHipster, you mean that your voice sounds more like Peter Cetera than Neil Diamond................ For most of us that is because our Larynx is too high and we are not getting enough closure in the vocal folds............ However in the screamo style Vocal folds have nothing to do with it because you are using False Folds and letting Air Bleed through the True Vocal folds.

That would have more to do with Support(Which I am no Expert on) and Larynx position.

5 hours ago, MDEW said:

I would be intimidated by that.

And you should be. A big old guy like me singing like a girl while shifting gears and doing .8 Mach up the tollway ... oh, the shame. When will I learn to act my age?

Probably never. A snotty young punk, to the end.

3 hours ago, D.Starr said:

The first thing you need to tackle is your narrow mindedness that you sound gay.

It's direspectful.

if you want to be offended you have to get in line (take a number)....all day every day I have to hear/see/read comments about "you sound too white" "the whitest kid ever" blah blah etc. That always strikes me as odd since my speaking voice sounds very "black"

18 hours ago, SelloutHipster said:

Hi, I'm new on this forum. I'm 15 years old and I'm going through my vocal change so maybe that has something to do with my problems.

I have two main problems. The first one is my clean voice sounds really gay. When I talk I don't sound like this but when I sing (especially high notes) I do. The other problem is I'd like to sing aggressively, but I don't know how. I'd like to sing aggressively but without screaming, something like Jeremy McKinnon (vocalist of A Day to Remember) when he sings choruses, but I don't know which techniques I have to use (I don't actually know what the tags I've put on this topic really mean) or if my voice is able to do it (I think I have a high range but I'm not sure either).

As you can see I'm quite lost, still don't know if I have a good voice or a really bad one, maybe singing is just not my thing, who knows. However, I'd really appreciate it if someone could give me a solution to my problems. Thanks a lot.

PD: Sorry for my English.

You're still a boy, so I wouldn't expect your voice to sound manly. Puberty may or may not change that. Ronws might get around to bringing up that, when he was young, he wished for his voice to deepen. It didn't happen. When I was around 14, my voice dropped. Started singing around 19 years old, and wished my voice had stayed high, because most of the singers I liked were tenors. Everybody ends up with a certain voice. Your voice will still change somewhat as you get as old as your 40's, but the point is, it doesn't matter, because you can extend your range in either direction or both. You can learn to sing deep, high or both.

I'm assuming, from what you described, what you mean to say is your voice gets airy as you go higher. Another thing that's completely normal for everybody. This can also be solved by mastery of compression.

5 hours ago, D.Starr said:

The first thing you need to tackle is your narrow mindedness that you sound gay.

It's direspectful.

Yes, but he's still a boy. Still much to learn.

1 hour ago, JonJon said:

if you want to be offended you have to get in line (take a number)....all day every day I have to hear/see/read comments about "you sound too white" "the whitest kid ever" blah blah etc. That always strikes me as odd since my speaking voice sounds very "black"

Let's stay on topic.

4 hours ago, Gsoul82 said:

You're still a boy, so I wouldn't expect your voice to sound manly. Puberty may or may not change that. Ronws might get around to bringing up that, when he was young, he wished for his voice to deepen. It didn't happen. When I was around 14, my voice dropped. Started singing around 19 years old, and wished my voice had stayed high, because most of the singers I liked were tenors. Everybody ends up with a certain voice. Your voice will still change somewhat as you get as old as your 40's, but the point is, it doesn't matter, because you can extend your range in either direction or both. You can learn to sing deep, high or both.

I'm assuming, from what you described, what you mean to say is your voice gets airy as you go higher. Another thing that's completely normal for everybody. This can also be solved by mastery of compression.

Let's stay on topic.

am I the one who took it off topic? go to the source

4 hours ago, Gsoul82 said:

Let's stay on topic.

Interesting, could you explain me what does "airy" mean and what's mastery of compression and how to do it? Thanks.

10 hours ago, D.Starr said:

It's direspectful.

As I said, I have nothing against gay people. What I'm saying is, they usually have a very characteristic way of sounding, which I personally don't like. Problem is, when I sing I sound that way, and I'd like to change it, not because I don't want people to think I'm gay, but because I just don't like. Anyway, as Gsoul said, let's stay on topic.

On this page you can see some of the highest and lowest notes he's singing in some songs. One thing could be that his general tesitura (notes where we are more comfortable) is higher than yours, so you'd need much more Head to be singing that same part. http://therangeplace.forummotions.com/t4003-jeremy-mckinnon

I've finally gone to see what I should have seen at first...what is it that you want to sing :D You'll have to learn by yourself mostly, I guess, but have in mind he is not making effort even if it looks he does, or he wouldn't be able to give a concert at all. 

And now I will tell you a secret: I can sing like this guy. I call this Belting Falsetto, and he brings some hoarseness he has whenever he wants. I can do this because I am a 48 year old woman, don't know if I'd been able when young :D So, sing in Falsetto, and then give it energy.

This is a much more technical explanation, but I can't understand it myself: https://www.reddit.com/r/singing/comments/n4ctx/tips_for_this_kind_of_singing_style_jeremy/

I used the same label (Belting Falsetto) with Janis Joplin. See the chorus. She is young when singing this.

G soul is right. Hipster, when I was your age and a little younger, I sounded like a woman, especially on the phone. People would address me as ma'am unless they met me in person because I was about 6' 3" when I was 14 and about 200 lbs and taking Kenpo Karate and later, playing football as right defensive tackle and nose guard ( my number was 72, like Ed "Too Tall" Jones of the Dallas Cowboys.) So, there was always this interesting dichotomy. A tall and scary looking guy like me with the voice of a woman. 

Even well into my twenties, I remember one guy trying to mimick my voice and he was trying to make me mad, it was a confrontation. And he used what was falsetto for him to approach the pitch and lightness of my voice. Didn't hurt my feelings and I prevailed because then, I was 6' 6", 230 lbs, and wearing a Smith and Wesson Model 19 k-frame nickel-plated .357 Magnum with ivory overgrip loaded with .38 127-grain hollow-points. Durn thing weighed 3.5 lbs. But, I shot a 145 out of 150 on requal, 5 holes in the target, 3 in the chest, 2 in the head, I kept going through the same holes, at 50'. So, I win, woman's voice and all.

All this means is having a light voice does not mean you cannot sing aggressively in whatever genre you want. But you have to find your way to that. If you think your are going to do it and sound like Phil Anselmo (Pantera), you are not. But you could do it like maybe Sebastian Bach, another guy with a light voice. And when he speaks, his voice is lighter and dustier than mine is, even. 

Because you sing differently than you speak. You also have to define what is your sound, in relation to others.

21 minutes ago, JonJon said:

wow. Someone help me find the "singing" in this vid lol

It is a skill set. Some would say the same about, John Prine, Bob Dylan, Bon Jovi, Even Pavarotti.......... Different strokes for different folks.